Internet Trolls
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Internet Trolls

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Internet Trolls

I was just thinking about this subject for some reason. You get people who will post inflammatory stuff relative to a thread just for a laugh then there are the hardcore nutballs who will create multiple accounts and then spend years building up post counts etc. For what reason? I mean don't they have anything better to do? While everyone else achieves success in reality they are living in a virtual world. Personally I think it is really sad. Any other opinions?
    Benzinger .. Dornblueth & Sohn .. Grand Seiko .. Sinn .. Laco .. Schaumburg .. Hamilton .. Tissot

Re: Internet Trolls

If I am being honest I mainly have concern for the nutball trolls state of being. In terms of their psychological and physical well being. If you think about it these units spend most of their time building up fantasy personas on the internet. When they should be out in the world achieving goals and meeting women or men. Predilections and what not.

I guess I don't want to see them be socially disadvantaged while they pursue a fantasy world that doesn't exist in reality.
    Benzinger .. Dornblueth & Sohn .. Grand Seiko .. Sinn .. Laco .. Schaumburg .. Hamilton .. Tissot

One moment they are an Italian mechanical engineer the next they are an AI expert working in Silicon valley. What's the truth of it though? I suspect the truth is a low paying dead end job and it breaks my heart.

I count myself lucky that I have done well in life.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sometimes I think "they" are bots.
    Some multinational tech company testing their goods on the unwashed.

As far as real human trolls, I have no idea.
    Some people thought I was a troll in a thread about what some people eat...
    Omega | Cartier | Victorinox

Quote Originally Posted by eblackmo View Post
    One moment they are an Italian mechanical engineer the next they are an AI expert working in Silicon valley. What's the truth of it though? I suspect the truth is a low paying dead end job and it breaks my heart.

I count myself lucky that I have done well in life.
    I suspect you're right, but don't let it break your heart.
    You have done well in life by your judgement for success/failure. For some people they may judge success in a different way. Wife, family, good job, good work/life balance, other 'life-goals' ticked off are all common aspirations, but that's not to say that's what everyone wants.

Maybe fooling people with some made up persona on line is how they judge their life. If there's no real harm done, I have no problem with people aiming to get different things from their life. And I certainly don't feel sorry for them.
    illumidata and Davidka like this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Social media is rotting humanity away. Hundreds of millions of sickos.
    wobbegong likes this.

Disclosure:
    1. My posts are not shilling other people's stuff.
    2. I own everything that I post and paid for it with my own money.
    3. My opinions are not influenced by any form of compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
    Social media is rotting humanity away. Hundreds of millions of sickos.
    Nah. The number of real sickos is overrated, IMO. What social media does, is to remove filters that are usually present. See something, BOOM! Respond. Kneejerk. Brain off. So LOTS of stupid stuff gets out there.

Second very negative aspect is the lack of consequence. Can say or do almost anything w/o repercussion, even socially. As far as the alternate-persona part...of the people doing this, what percentage of them do it because *they don't know* how to talk to people in reality? Or that they have perceived or actual serious barriers in making personal contacts? And for the incindiery-troll type, the alternate persona is either another way of asserting anonymity...or even a form of attack in itself.
    Steelerswit and Time4Playnow like this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Twitter and other social media allow the base stupidity and ignorance of a lot of people float to the top. I agree with the knee jerk (emphasis on jerk)

Antonio Bryant is now getting hate messages, got so bad he had to change his handle to "not that AB"

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.

in the woods on a river--Western MA...USA
    I'm surprised Trolls reach out to simplest of chats !
    I like listening to rain at night on YouTube....a few chats are available...and the idiots even invade that !
    I've called a few Trolls out and others felt I was rude because they can't recognize it !!
    As far as Trolls on WUS...when it comes to light from multiple established members...the theory is to STOP replying to the thread and not feed the monkey.
    Unfortunately, many continue to respond to the OP with serious intent.
    The fun comes when members change the topic and go from there...a good chuckle is had and all bow out.
    You NEVER know if a male or female...it bugs me when they pretend they served in Armed forces, cuz automatically people warm up to veterans.
    Trolls have NO boundaries, just anonymity.
    CURRENT ROTATION :: ​fuhgeddaboudit !!333***** silence is powerful...listen and learn ***** 3

I pointed this out in the last troll thread here, silly as it sounds what better place for soviet russian troll farm to send noobs to practice english and 'disccuss' non-volatile subjects like watches. The last couple I swear were here only to argue and the last one I am convinced two separate people were writing responses under that one name, there was a noticeable difference in grammar, sentence construction and style.

There's been enough news about troll farms on FB, IG and other social media so I think any trolls not well versed in english would now stand out more. What better place to send them to practice than a watch forum, they can learn about watches, learn the jargon and practice up for latter election-season rabble rousing and hate and discontent spreading.

So whether soviet troll farm trolls or just your garden variety living-in-mom's-basement-incel-manifesto-in-progress trolls, the best way to deal with them is to mock them. It is kind of funny when a troll has basically been outed and yet some people continue to respond, clearly not having read all the previous comments and so thinks the question is legit. Maybe fewer trolls if people would read through all the prior comments (this holds true even if it's not a troll thread, like maybe look at the date of a post someone has necro-posted; really 5 years later and you think the OP still hasn't decided on which watch to get?)
    Simon likes this.
    http://veteranswatchmakerinitiative.org/
    Training Combat Disabled Vets to become Watchmakers
    https://www.gofundme.com/VWIBulova

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information