Men Wearing Baseball Caps?
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: Men Wearing Baseball Caps?

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Question Men Wearing Baseball Caps?

Wikipedia relates an interesting History of the Baseball Cap (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_cap). My question/concern is why do adult males wear them, when not playing a sport or part of an official uniform? Of particular concern is why men wear them year around, in all seasons, in all kinds of weather? Surely they do not keep one warm in cold weather. I also understand elderly veterans displaying their war or unit proudly on their caps. I also understand wearing caps with political statements. What about the others? What about wearing the cap backwards? Do they realize this started in prisons! What I really do not understand is why anyone wears a cap indoors, in particular in restaurants? I have often seen three generations of males at a table with all wearing caps while eating. I am past 79 years old and perhaps reflect my parent's injunction against wearing a hat indoors. I also spent three years in the U. S. Marine Corps where you took your cover (cap) off when entering any structure! A story still sticks in my mind. While in recruit training at Parris Island a recruit in front of me failed to take off his cover quick enough when entering the mess hall. Well, the drill instructor jumped all over him and made him eat his entire meal out of his cover. Lesson learned! Appreciate all non-political comments.

Re: Men Wearing Baseball Caps?

I wear them in the winter to keep rain off my glasses, and in the summer to keep sun off my head and out of my eyes (beach/boat). Never indoors, or in the car, Never at a table eating (shudder), Never backwards (unless firing a rifle), and NOT with a straight or upturned bill. I am in my mid 50s. It is a generational thing. My father was a college professor and would not begin until all hats in the classroom were off. Had high school teachers that did the same. But I grew up with Emily Post on a shelf and it was often referred to. Few people under 50 ever heard of EP. Sigh...........

And................. USAF 31 years.
    No, I'm sorry, I REALLY don't need another diver, I mean, I don't even dive and I have so many already, ........oooh, how much did you want for that?

I look stupid in hats so rarely wear them. Only times are while mowing the lawn/working outside to keep sweat out of my eyes, or when I'm out at a car race or other outdoor event during the summer. I take them off when I go inside.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't see why it needs to be political if you don't want it to be. In the states, it's in fashion and in fashion because it's practical. I wouldn't be inclined to wear one while eating dinner in a restaurant, but if I'm ever outdoors or driving top down or in any other appropriate circumstance, that's all I'll wear. Almost every other type of hat (cold weather options excluded) look like an anachronistic affectation. A fedora or newsboy cap today is just as silly as a pocketwatch. You're making an intentional statement. With some variant of a baseball cap, you can just pick something plain, advertise your favorite team, brand, whatever.

I would say that I find flat brim hats, mesh trucker hats, etc. to be... not something I'd personally prefer but it doesn't hurt me that they exist.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

I am merely 44, and I remember being scolded(smacked really) by my father if I forgot to doff my pate covers at the dining table. Though, there was also the danger of being stabbed with a fork if my elbow touched the top of a table during chow time.

I still remove said cap(if applicable), when I am at his table, or with him in public. Not for fear of being disciplined, but as a gesture of respect of the ceremony of dining.

Other than that, I wear whatever whenever, sometimes removing, sometimes not. I do wear caps mostly in the summer, if at all, as I live in Canada and have a toque on for half the year. My natural insulation has diminished somewhat, and it is cold in winter.

Sent from my iPhone using a Spirograph and plenty of lemons

Name:  magnum-pi.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  359.7 KB
    Split-2nd, lvt and atarione like this.
    Omega | Cartier | Victorinox

Quote Originally Posted by OvrSteer View Post
    I don't see why it needs to be political if you don't want it to be. In the states, it's in fashion and in fashion because it's practical. I wouldn't be inclined to wear one while eating dinner in a restaurant, but if I'm ever outdoors or driving top down or in any other appropriate circumstance, that's all I'll wear. Almost every other type of hat (cold weather options excluded) look like an anachronistic affectation. A fedora or newsboy cap today is just as silly as a pocketwatch. You're making an intentional statement. With some variant of a baseball cap, you can just pick something plain, advertise your favorite team, brand, whatever.

I would say that I find flat brim hats, mesh trucker hats, etc. to be... not something I'd personally prefer but it doesn't hurt me that they exist.
    Shhh.... don't tell anyone. But I sometimes wear a Fedora (when dressed nice, not in jeans). I used to feel wierd about it. But rain on my glasses puts me over the edge and I live in Oregon; and here wierd IS normal and normal is wierd, so....... I also smoke a pipe and do other anachronistic things. But no bow ties.............yet.
    OvrSteer and CaptainCustard like this.
    No, I'm sorry, I REALLY don't need another diver, I mean, I don't even dive and I have so many already, ........oooh, how much did you want for that?

I live in rural agricultural country and it is part of the standard uniform that also includes leather boots, blue jeans, and nearly any shirt made from cotton. The reason for the popularity is that it is a wonderful device for keeping the sun out of your eyes. Fully brimmed hats work well for that too, but we are in and out of equipment all day and most equipment doesn’t lend itself to a brim on the sides or rear. The same goes when flying, you need a measure of sun protection and the ball cap provides that while still allowing you to wear a headset.

Before motorized equipment had cabs, fully brimmed hats were the preferred option since headroom was virtually unlimited and more sun protection was required. As far a choice for the cockpit goes, the only fully brimmed hats you will see will be on glider pilots because the much lower noise level lets them operate with a speaker instead of headsets and their bubble canopies are solar ovens.

Never used to wear them, but started when I got a job cutting meat, retail. It was the store cap or a hairnet, so...

Then I found out how useful it was to keep hair out of my eyes, shade from the sun, and fits under a jacket hood to keep blowing snow off my face when snow-blowing.

Full brim hat for haying, but back to a ball cap for slaughtering and cutting beef -- keeps blood and chunks off my head when killing, hair out of the meat when cutting.
    Watches are life. Live to Watch, Watch to Live. Do you even Watch, bro?

Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy View Post
    I look stupid in hats so rarely wear them. Only times are while mowing the lawn/working outside to keep sweat out of my eyes, or when I'm out at a car race or other outdoor event during the summer. I take them off when I go inside.
    Speaking of looking stupid.... In my opinion nothing looks more stupid than a grown male wearing a baseball cap backwards - unless he is behind bars!!!

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast