Are "no pay" Ebayers getting more popular?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Are "no pay" Ebayers getting more popular?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are "no pay" Ebayers getting more popular?

Lately l've noticed an increasing number of buyers that buy something l have on Ebay and never pay. ls getting to be a popular trend? Has this been happening to you? ls it some kind of scam?

Re: Are "no pay" Ebayers getting more popular?

Yep.

Was happening all the time to me.
    There was a significant increase in people who bid, or buy it now first, without reading the description or delivery and payment terms and then try to cancel the sale.

Even worse are those who don’t respond at all to any messages, or actually pay first and then try to cancel the sale. (Meaning I still had to pay a paypal transaction fee).

I even have had a few insisting on Free delivery to ridiculous locations for large furniture items because they read the “Pick up Only” as free delivery, with one going as far as threatening to report me to eBay for not following their rules!

So I just stopped using eBay altogether as a sales method. I only sell items locally now via Gumtree face to face and for cash and that way everybody knows what they are getting and we are all happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    ^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
    So many watches, So little time...
    So many watches, so little time...

If you open an unpaid item case you'll get you final value fees back

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nb617 View Post
    If you open an unpaid item case you'll get you final value fees back

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    But it delays the Sales process, adds inconvenience, and you never get back the many days you wasted waiting for payment and then having to relist and find new buyers.

Time is money.

I think so. Not much one can do about it as well...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have experienced the opposite on several occasions. I bid, win an item at a bargain price, and pay. The seller (who probablly did not get what he expected) cancels the transaction - Item no longer available. Nothing I can do to force the seller to ship the item!
    Steelerswit, xevious and Davidka like this.

Quote Originally Posted by art1118 View Post
    I have experienced the opposite on several occasions. I bid, win an item at a bargain price, and pay. The seller (who probablly did not get what he expected) cancels the transaction - Item no longer available. Nothing I can do to force the seller to ship the item!
    I've also had this happen a few times. One offered to ship the item at a higher price and also offered me a "voucher" to use on a subsequent purchase claiming their account had been hacked.

The ol' "Bait and Switch", which would be illegal in my country if done at retail, is alive and well on eBay.

The internet, and online marketplaces such as eBay, Amazon and Ali etc. have developed faster than regulatory controls and legislation to support them has, such that what was previously considered normal transactional behaviour and consumer/vendor protections that applied in local transactions are no longer relevant and these bodies have been, until recently anyway, largely self regulating.

As the behaviour of buyers, sellers, and international markets continue to evolve, these marketplaces also need to adapt rapidly to changing circumstances and it's not surprising that as they get bigger, change comes slower.

The global marketplace, and often massive variations in interest and capability to enforce localised controls makes this even more complex.

The vagaries of the the mainstream global online marketplace, is only one symptom if an unregulated internet, with even more insidious issues flying under the radar of most people.

Censorship and regulation of the internet and by extension, the marketplaces therein is inevitably coming folks, it's only a matter of when, and which Countries/Legislatures will take the lead. (Of course there are some places - China - where it already exists to some extent).

Definitely getting worse, happened to me a couple of months ago whilst selling off a load of DIY tools. Had to block about 8 bidders. Seems to be worse if your items are listed collection only.

There is no real punishment for people who buy / win and don't pay. If they don't pay, the seller has to open a case and maybe ebay will put some kind of strike against the buyer and do something after a bunch of strikes. But since there is no way to put negative feedback on a buyer, future sellers will never know. Also, if a person does pay late, as a seller do you really want to deal with them and the potential return? I always pay after auction wins myself because I really want the item.

Quote Originally Posted by art1118 View Post
    Same here. Had it happen 3 times in 2 months. I have forced ebay to give me $5 credit on each occasion.

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information