Questions for you cell phone experts.....

Thread: Questions for you cell phone experts.....

Questions for you cell phone experts.....

I'll be moving in a few weeks to a somewhat rural area a few hundred miles from where I am now. All the major cell providers are in the area but the coverage is spotty sometimes. My current provider (Verizon) is decent where I am, but not great. I currently use an older, simple Motorola phone with no bells and whistles (like camera, text messaging, etc.). When I move I'm considering NOT getting a land line and going totally cellular. I know I'll need a newer phone. What I need are suggestions for providers, as well as specific phones, that give the best reception/strongest signals, have the best battery life, etc. I still have no desire for a camera phone, or messaging, or web access on the phone, but that doesn't mean I can't or won't get a phone with these features. My needs or desires could change down the road. But, I don't necessarily want to break the bank and simply pay top dollar. Most expensive isn't always best.

Any suggestions either for or against a particular provider or phone are greatly appreciated!

:thanks

Paul
    Doxa Ad Vitam !

Re: Questions for you cell phone experts.....

Talk to some people in the area to get reviews on coverage. As far as the phone goes for really rural or older areas you may want to seek a tri mode phone. Covers both digital networks and is also backwards compatible with the old analog networks (usually roaming on that though). The phones are someweat scarse now but should be able to be found. Also discuss the coverage carefully with your purchasing agent/dealer and let them know where you want it to work up front.

Hi Searambler,

FWIW, I work in IT and am somewhat of a self-proclaimed mobile device whore. There are no easy answers to your questions, however one thing I can say is that Nokia handsets are typically regarded in the industry as having some of the best and most reliable cellular radios of any manufacturer while, unfortunately, most modern Motorolas are the worst. Sony Ericsson puts out a decent device but often times have very sensitive cell radios that will jump around and not lock to a frequency. These are not my opinions rather somewhat acceptable truths from within the industry. Not necessary correct in all cases/models but a good general "rule of thumb".

Personally, as much as I *hate* their user interface, if I were moving to a rural area with shady cell coverage, I'd buy a Nokia. Can't recommend a specific device as that depends on what carrier you chose.

Speaking of: Out of all US cell providers, Verizon, Cingular (now AT&T as of today!!), and T-Mobile are on top.

Verizon is the only CDMA network of the three which, if this were a few years ago, I'd say go with hands down as CDMA had decent ability to cover broad-range distances *when* their dual-mode analog/digital handsets were still around. Perhaps that remains true for where you're moving, but to best of my knowledge they're digital-only in most markets which gives equally as poor results in poor coverage areas.

I would stay away from T-Mobile @ all costs. T-Mo and Cingular (ATT) are GSM providers. GSM runs on two different frequencies here in the US, 850MHz and 1900MHz. T-Mo ONLY uses the 1900 spectrum which, by all accounts, gives you less roaming capabilities in general. That being said, T-Mo *may* have the strongest signal presence where you're off to...

Here's what I'd do. Check this site (http://www.wirelessadvisor.com/) and put in the ZIP of your destination. It will tell you what services AND frequencies for GSM are available that area. If you want to look at Cingular, check out their street-level maps here (http://www.cingular.com/coverageviewer/). While not always accurate, it can't hurt.

Lastly, most providers now have a 30 day trial period so use that to your full advantage. Sign up, pick a handset, try it out. If it sucks...bring it back within 30 days, rise and repeat!

Good luck!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you both. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for!!!!!

Paul
    Doxa Ad Vitam !

Quote Originally Posted by Searambler View Post
    Thank you both. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for!!!!!

Paul
    NP Paul. Glad to help

I use this resource for cell phones. It has helped me greatly.

www.howardforums.com

Quote Originally Posted by kai-wun View Post
    I use this resource for cell phones. It has helped me greatly.

www.howardforums.com
    Thank you Kai-Wun! Very informative site!

Paul
    Doxa Ad Vitam !

Anytime! But you must be careful, the forums that discussed my service provider were full of immature posters...

Thread Information