Top 10 Reasons to Eat Bugs
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Top 10 Reasons to Eat Bugs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    WnS

Top 10 Reasons to Eat Bugs

Some very compelling arguments, I've always wondered if there were viable alternatives to traditional animal meat.

Why Eat Bugs? | Girl Meets Bug

Why Eat Bugs?

Why eat bugs, anyway?

Despite the fact that 80% of the world’s cultures eat insects (that’s right: the US is in the minority here) most people in our culture consider insects simply to be pests. But when you consider the logic of bugs as food, from an ecological, financial, and global perspective, they start to seem a lot more palatable.

Insects: The True Eco-Protein

A United Nations report found that the livestock industry is responsible for generating more greenhouse gas emissions than transport. That means the burgers, chicken, and pork we are eating are technically worse for our environment than our cars. Insects require such fewer resources in terms of food, water, and land space that, as David Gracer of SmallStock Foods puts it, “Cows and pigs are the SUVs of the food world. And bugs—they’re the Priuses, maybe even bicycles.”

Top Ten Reasons To Eat Insects

10. Most edible insect species are highly nutritious.

9. It is up to 20 times more efficient to raise insect protein than beef. That’s per pound. This is mainly because bugs don’t ‘waste’ food energy on things like raising their body temperature, or making bones, fur, feathers, and other stuff we can’t eat.

8. Also, it takes less water to raise insects — much, much less: up to 1000 times less.

7. You are probably already doing it, as the FDA allows a certain amount of insect matter to be present in most commercial foods: an average of 150 or more insect fragments are allowed per 100 grams of wheat flour, for instance — that’s a lot of bug!

6. Most cultures in the world not only eat insects, but in many cases find them to be a delicacy.

5. If insects themselves were deemed a food crop, imagine how much we could cut down on pesticide use, and its associated environmental damage.

4. Many insects are tasty: some larvae taste like bacon. Who doesn’t like bacon?

3. Many animal rights activists often won’t get up in arms over eating bugs, as they are already exterminated on a daily basis.

2. Insects may be the food of the future, as scientists are researching their potential as a space food crop.

And the number one reason to eat insects is…

1. Insects are a great, inexpensive, green source of the protein desperately needed by starving peoples. If we can help create a market and funding for it, there is the potential to help spread nourishment throughout the planet.
    I'm content with my watch collection

Re: Top 10 Reasons to Eat Bugs

Sorry but I'm going to stick with my beef, chicken and pork diet. I wasn't one of those kids that ate dirt and worms, I don't think I could choke them down.

Ecch! - Too Much Information.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

TGE

If it tastes like bacon I'll absolutely try it.

As someone who grew up in the country and raised a few animals (sheep, goats, cows, chicken) I know there's nothing romantic about meat. All those animals except goats wallow in their own filth. Real production farms are a hundred times more foul than our little "gentleman farmer" spread.

That said, I still eat meat and doubt insects are going to catch on any time soon. Hard to see ordering a pound of white grubs and a handful of dung beetles down at the market.
    Regards,
    Tim

"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals." - The Stranger

Banned

I'm never using flour again.

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

You're eating bugs whether you know it or not... check the food standards for allowed protein content of grain/bean/seed based products.. ie ground up bugs..

This might help..

Marcel Dicke: Why not eat insects? | Video on TED.com
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

TGE

Quote Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
    I'm never using flour again.
    We'd never eat anything again if we knew...

One of my professors in college told me he visited a bean cannery with guys with pool nets walking around the rims of the huge 20' diamater vats of beans. He asked what they were for.

"To scoop the dead rats out."

Holy....count me out.
    Regards,
    Tim

"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals." - The Stranger

I've tried Hormigas culonas, giant roasted ants. It tasted like crispy bacon, the texture was horrible, I could feel the legs while munching away, but the taste was not bad at all. I bought mine in London in Fortnum & Mason. I also bought some scorpions but I didn't have the guts to try those. The brand was EDIBLE, the website is edible.com
    I have a beard. There!

Banned

I was given a scorpion sucker like 2 weeks ago. Didn't even have the balls to lick the candy part.

When I was 15 I spent a summer painting boiler rooms at a Kellogs cereal plant in Battle Creek,Mi...I haven't touched a bowl of cereal since!The average American has NO concept of how much "Bi Product"is allowed in food manufacturing...I will say this(from personel experience),when you are TRUELY hungry you can choke down ANYTHING!
    My Grail: Blancpain "Fifty Fathoms Barakuda"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information