What kind of hiking pack(s) do you have?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What kind of hiking pack(s) do you have?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What kind of hiking pack(s) do you have?

I am planning on maybe buying a new pack (60L) so I was hoping to see what other people have. I currently own a Kelty Redwing (50L). It is great for the price, but my next purchase will be a top loader (looking at an Osprey Atmos for a while now, suggestions?). I bought it for the organization, but it is useless if it is packed out. It has been on hundreds of hikes, so I will never give it up. It has too much sentimental value. It really is not a great hiking pack, I have used far better ones, but I am attached to it.Name:  20180925_113154_1537843919015.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  3.50 MB
    My edc is a 5-11 Rush 72 hour. I have to run between 4 different schools, carry tons of books and work related materials, along with a change of clothes and hiking boots. The organization is phenomenal and it is pretty rugged. I hike home from work a lot so it has worked out perfectly. But this is not a hiking pack for sure. As you can tell it is a tactical pack. It weighs 5 pounds on its own and if you carry anything over 20 pounds in it the bag will destroy your back, but it is perfect for my needs and works great for short hikes home from work.Name:  20180925_113137_1537844358116.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  3.35 MB
    I am cleaning it now. I left a wet pair of socks in it for 2 weeks on accident...disgusting. I came back from vacation, opened it up, and about puked. Hahaha I am trying to rid it if the damn smell.
    Anyway what do you guys have?
    Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV225, SBGV205, SBGT241
    Oris: Aquis, Pro Pilot
    Sinn: LE 556i
    Longines: Conquest V.H.P.
    Seiko: Blue Coral Monster
    Casio Oceanus : OCW-s100
    G Shock: GMW-b5000, GX-56bb, GW-b5600

Banned

Re: What kind of hiking pack(s) do you have?

I have several, including my large ALICE from my Army days. This REI 80L is my most recent.

Attachment 13506043

Nice. That is a big bag! There was an REI I was looking at last year, but they changed a lot of features on the newer model, so I did not jump on it. Overall, I am impressed with their prices and quality though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I tend towards the lighter, no-frills packs, so if you like a lot of compartments, these aren't it.
    For lighter weekend hikes I use an Osprey Exos 38 and really like the lightness and comfort factor. (I guess the 38 is discontinued, now only in the 48 & 58 size)
    For heavier gear and longer trips, I use a Deuter ACT 50+. Loaded up it feels pretty good on the shoulders and back. They've got this in a 60Liter version, which might be more comparable to the Atmos you're looking at.
    I have smaller Osprey packs in addition to the Exos and quality has been great. I would have gotten another Osprey for the larger pack, but the Deuter just fit/felt better on the back and cost less.

I strongly recommend going into some type of outdoor store carrying backpacks and try them on loaded with weight. If you're anywhere near an REI, they're very cool about helping you with this.
    Last edited by Tommywine0; September 25th, 2018 at 17:40.

I used a Deuter Act Lite 75+10 for about 40 miles on the AT. The pack itself was fine but I realized after my first day that I didnt need a pack that large and wished I had gone lighter because it was too much weight to enjoy the trail. If I was going to do it again I would go with an Osprey in the 50-60L range.

Osprey make great packs, as does The North Face, they are my choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobia View Post
    Osprey make great packs, as does The North Face, they are my choices.
    I am not a fan of North Face. My ex bought me a North Face edc and it was awful. It destroyed my back just walking home. Their hiking packs are okay. I think the Banchee is terrific. My buddy has one. North Face is horribly over priced in Korea, so that has kind of jaded me. They have great customer service though. My friend ripped some gloves, absolute wear and tear, and sent them in for warranty and they actually gave him new ones. That impressed me.
    Osprey is incredible though. Also great customer service from what I have read online. My brother has an Atmos and I love it. Someone mentioned an Exos, but I am not into super lightweight hiking.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by narchibald View Post
    I used a Deuter Act Lite 75+10 for about 40 miles on the AT. The pack itself was fine but I realized after my first day that I didnt need a pack that large and wished I had gone lighter because it was too much weight to enjoy the trail. If I was going to do it again I would go with an Osprey in the 50-60L range.

The packs themselves don't weigh much regardless of the size. It is certainly common for the inexperience to overload themselves with a large pack that makes it so easy to do. However, what can really matter is having a large pack that is not normally full but has the capacity for more when it is crucially needed. That is why when not issued a large ALICE at a duty assignment I used my personally owned ruck rather than an issued medium ALICE. Military studies on marching clearly show that for average soldiers carrying more than 70lbs total pounds marching efficiency nose dives. However, it really depends on the condition of the individual and the environmental/terrain conditions that determine what should be carried. Other than in timed rucking tests in training, where minimum ruck weight was specified to be only 45lb (this does not include LBE and weapon weight), 70lbs for a ruck was very common for me. I did ruck training on my own time with a few friends and we never carried less than 70lbs rucks and sometimes 100lbs rucks. With those weights, time and distance was lengthened or shortened depending on the load. Of course civilians rarely carry rucks this heavy because they do not need to carry all the items that make-up that weight.

I still ruck for exercise. For me "rucking season" is about to begin (high temperatures below 100F here in the Arizona desert). I'm 60 this year and do not fool myself that I can still get away with routinely carrying really heavy loads, but because I have an 80L ruck I have the capacity in an emergency to carry the most important type of weight, water. For me rucking is more than recreational activity, it is a survival skill that should be maintained. Unfortunately, in the climate/terrain I live in you probably cannot carry enough water between water sources in many situations, but you can carry maybe enough. My thoughts about rucking in the desert always go back to what the SAS team did in Desert Storm, as documented in the book Bravo Two Zero, the carrying of 5 gallon containers of water in a ruck along with all the other equipment need for the mission.

Since I am becoming more and more a cranky old man who sometimes finds himself contemptuous and envious of the young who think so highly of their capabilities, I include the link below. I'm nowhere near a capable as Ed Burgarin, but I can still out ruck some young studs.

https://www.itstactical.com/centcom/...or-ed-bugarin/
    Last edited by Nom de Forum; September 27th, 2018 at 05:54.
    tommyboy31 likes this.

I rarely carry a huge backpack,but I have carried Arcteryx altra 48 when I did the camino de Santiago,however I think the shoulder strap could be better as it's a bit narrow

Another backpack that I like is Sierra Designs herald 30,it's light yet it has so many compartments,my other favorite backpack is Haglofs but they're a bit on the pricey side like Arcteryx

Update: I ended up purchasing an Osprey Atmos after I noticed my Kelty had a hole in the bottom. I parched the hole up, but ended up finding an Atmos for 1/3 off, so I ended getting it, too.

So far I love it. The suspension breathes beautifully and distributes the weight perfectly. Hands down the most comfortable pack I have ever worn. My only gripes are the zippers are stiff and the hip belt pockets are a tad small in my opinion. Overall, it kills my Kelty. Love it.
    Name:  20190615_224142_1560606603309.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  4.48 MB
    Synequano likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast