What would it take for you to relocate?
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: What would it take for you to relocate?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Question What would it take for you to relocate?

So, I just read this article.

Why some Americans won't move, even for a higher salary
    Mobility in the United States has fallen to record lows. In 1985, nearly 20 percent of Americans had changed their residence within the preceding 12 months, but by 2018, fewer than ten percent had. That’s the lowest level since 1948, when the Census Bureau first started tracking mobility.
    Why some Americans won't move, even for a higher salary

So, the article states one opinion as common belief
    Many consider the culprit to be the economic crisis, which locked people into declining-value homes; others attribute it to the huge differential in the housing prices in expensive cities. Some economists contend that job opportunities have become similar across places, meaning people are less likely to move for work; others see rising student debt as a key factor that has kept young Americans in their parents’ basements.
    Then another as the new thought
    Now, a new study from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York suggests that other, more emotional and psychological factors may be at work.
    ROOTED
    Nearly half of those in the survey (47 percent) identify as rooted.
    STUCK
    Another 15 percent identify as stuck, lacking the resources or ability to move.
    MOBILE
    Just 38 percent of respondents say they are mobile with the resources, ability, and inclination to make a move. In fact, 5 percent of respondents say there is a 100 percent chance of their moving. The mobile are most likely to live in cities, though the income and educational background of the mobile and the rooted are similar.

Anyhow, that's of interest and all. Yet, the following is what I'm curious to see how forum members believe.
    WTP
    The survey identifies respondents’ most recent move, their probability of moving in the next two years, and other data related to moving including job opportunities and income prospects, housing costs, the distance from current home, costs of moving to various locations, crime rates, taxes, community values and norms, and proximity to family and friends. The researchers use these data to estimate the overall costs—what they call the “willingness to pay” or WTP—for people to move different locations.
    Therefore, what would it take for you to relocate and do you consider yourself rooted, mobile, or stuck? Perhaps, you'd take a loss to move back home?
    GrussGott likes this.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

Re: What would it take for you to relocate?

I think an older person would like to be home and/or near their descendants. While a younger person wants to get out and see the world. Past that, the middle-aged working man, realizes the importance of a paycheck and the draw of glamourized places like NYC, LA, etc. simply loose their appeal.

So, yes.... I do agree, it comes down to emotion and economics.

W/ that said as the family unit continues to fall apart in America, I'm surprised people even consider a city to be a home. After all what is a home if it lacks family members and youthful memories? Say you get a job in Atlanta but you're from Chicago and a decade goes by. Is Atlanta your home or Chicago, after all your family is in/from Chicago........ Atlanta is a paycheck. Even if you're married w/ kids (hopefully better off than Al Bundy) it's still just a job. You go back to Chicago for family reunions. Thus, can you consider yourself rooted? Particularly, if you plan to go back home on day?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

Retirement or hitting the big lottery, I'm betting on retirement.

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I was just talking about this whole relocating thing with a long time friend........ For me, all it takes is a few years in the same city and I'm ready to see how other people live. I've never found a reason to NOT relocate. He's been in the same house since 1995 and can't figure out why I pull up roots and move to a new city or more drastically, a new country every few years.

Relocating is part of what keeps me from going insane (some claim it hasn't worked). I'm 62 and having never had children, I seem to relocate in a heart beat without hesitation. I have a job that I can do just about anywhere in the U.S. and although my offices are in California, and I prefer living where I live, I can perform from anywhere and have taken advantage of that.
    Once my roots start digging in too firmly, once I'm in the house I want, with everything settled in, and everything is working as it should for a normal person of my age, I need to get out of there and restart. Fortunately I found a wife 38 years ago that has the same bug. It gets kind of expensive but without children, everything has always been "less expensive".
    I guess that's why I relocated this Memorial Day weekend.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Friends and family makes it tough to relocate. Thus, it gets harder when you're older. When you're young? Anything is possible.

In my situation, the deaths of family members and my other set of parents (dad/step-mom) getting ready to move up to Maine, I'll be left with only my sister nearby. My two best friends both moved away. I still have some friends in the area, but there's not much left keeping me anchored. So... if I get a job offer for very good money and I have to move, I probably will. BUT... it depends upon the location. I am growing weary of the NYC metro area, as it's becoming too congested and costs keep going up. Nice to have all that culture nearby, but if it's so expensive to partake in it, along with competition from all the nearby people to attend... then it's like, what's the point?

Part of me finds the idea of settling in with a nice off-the-grid community to be something worthwhile, a good long distance from a major city. Get back to small-community living. These large scale communities with so much anonymity is unfulfilling.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

In 2008ish, we sold our house and moved to California - we intended to "re-root" but in running the numbers decided that buying a home no longer made sense for us for, with a top reason being mobility. Renting is not only more financially advantageous for us (even here in CA), we are 98% mobile for minimal cost.

With that said, it'd take a lot for us to move out-state simply due to risk, comfort, etc - so for now I'd call us rooted until we uproot ourselves again.

Until I retire, I don't think anything would make me relocate.

Currentlly rooted -- aging parents, son with mental disability tied to his mom and local support, partner who owns a home, well-liked job.

Of course, all this could change. Four years ago, I was living in a cabin in the woods; five years ago, living in a van.
    Watches are life. Live to Watch, Watch to Live. Do you even Watch, bro?

Considered relocating from Metro Detroit several years ago to Asheville...then my wife got pregnant. All of our family is here which is important for our little guy and my business / client base is here which I've built over the last 15+ years. It would be difficult to start over. As much as we'd love a change of scenery we are definitely rooted and somewhat stuck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Being from a small town in rural Oregon, I moved to larger and larger towns/cities before landing in Portland 23 years ago. PDX has the right mix of restaurants/bars, nature (or close to it), wine country, and weather that it works for me. An hour to Mt Hood for snowboarding, check. An hour to the beach, check. 3 hours to Seattle, check. Easy flight to anywhere, check. Would I move elsewhere? It would have to be a pretty comparable location. I will say, Portland's traffic situation has gotten out of control over the past 5 years, so a move is looking slightly more appealing. I work remote, so I can do my job from anywhere...Immediate family are in Central Oregon and Arizona. Extended family are all in Washington state, so I'm close but not TOO close.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information