WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Advice needed with bracelet removal!

2K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  jamesbee 
#1 ·
Hi all, I need some advice on how to remove a bracelet.

So, I've done this dozens of times, but now I have a watch with a bracelet that just DOES NOT want to come off due to what seems like a faulty springbar.

On one of my Steinhart Ocean One's, I got one of the endlinks off, and now I'm on the second one.

I pop one side of the springbar out of the lug hole, no problem. When I go for the other side, the spring will NOT compress enough even with me putting a fair amount of force on it to remove it from the lug hole. I am using my Bergeon 6767F tool, too.

I thought that maybe I just needed to let one side barely pop out to give the other side more breathing room...NOPE does NOT work.

Anybody ever encounter this problem as well, and if so, how the heck do you fix it? :-|

#3 ·
This is where it gets weird, both sides of the springbar will do the same thing and not compress enough for removal no matter which side I do first. It's like the springbar either has a faulty spring, or it's being jammed by the endlink, I can't tell any obvious sign of what's wrong. What's worse is that I bought this watch used, so warranty does not come into play here. I could send it to James at MWWC, but I do not know whether or not he could/would fix it, and I don't want to wait a long time for such a small and stupid problem if I don't have to. I don't want to be forced to wear this watch on the bracelet forever, because then I will NEVER enjoy it knowing that it's potentially stuck on there...:-(

This is exactly why I really don't like bracelets, they can be a real PITA to remove sometimes. :-|

#4 ·
Cool , yeah they can be a total arse, especially when they are a snug fit between the lugs.

From what you've said I think you're causing the problem (well, a little bit anyway) :)

I think you're gonna need to either get someone to hold the watch whilst you GENTLY do some 'prying' of both sides bit by bit - not releasing either side before the other , just moving each side out bit by bit - whilst continuously holding that bias so the bars don't get the chance to drop back in their holes.

or find a way to 'secure' the watch so you can apply some gentle bias/pressure to do the same. (but you need three hands at least regardless :))

#5 · (Edited)
No, that's not what the problem is.

As I said, I get one end of the springbar out of the hole with no issue. When I go for the other side, the spring will not compress enough to actually come out of the hole. I let one end compress against the lug so it keeps it from going back into the hole. I removed the other endlink this way, and that's how I always do it. So all I can think of is the springbar is either faulty, or it's somehow stuck in the endlink, preventing it from going anywhere. I have good dexterity and I'm able to apply even pressure by myself. Even if I had one of those springbar tools that gets both ends at the same time, I don't see how it could be removed if the spring will not compress enough for it to come out anyway. Makes me wonder whoever installed it, whether from the factory or a prior owner, how the hell they got it in there in the first place without noticing anything was wrong? I've had issues removing other bracelets in the past, but that was because of the tight fit. This problem is not a tight fit, it is a messed-up springbar I think.

I'm really pissed right now because I don't know what to do. I'm nearly giving up on trying because if the spring does not compress enough, I don't see how else it can come out.

#6 ·
I'm trying to get my head round it in just text and no pics (yes I appreciate pics would be difficult)

But you said either side of the spring bar can be popped out of its hole , but the problem happens when you go for the other end when one side is popped out of its hole ?

Have I got that right ?:think:
Then it must be sticking in the endlink because you've popped one end out ? :think:

#7 · (Edited)
I just tried it again and I think I pinpointed what the actual problem is. You know how springbars have those sleeves that cover the middle part? Well on this one, the sleeve seems to be longer than normal, so when I try to compress one side of the springbar to remove it from the lug hole, the sleeve pushes on the flange of the other side and simultaneously blocks the side I'm using the tool on from compressing far enough. Totally blocking the spring from retracting far enough for removal.

The upside to this is that now I know what the actual problem is. The complete downside is that I do not know what can be done to fix it.

#8 ·
Can you grab the end of the springbar you have freed from the lug hole with a needle nose pliers and pull out (and ruin) the springbar? And then insert a new springbar with the new band?

#9 ·
I've had this happen a couple of times, turned out the bar was the wrong size and caused the problems. I try to dislodge the side with more movement first, then get the other side compressed as much as it will, then push the end link out: this helps pop out that last stubborn end. Good luck!

#12 · (Edited)
So:
the sleeve is not completely the width of the lugs (good)
and the pin won't go fully within the sleeve. (bad)

One vital thing to bear in mind is:

That spring bar went in there at some time, so you should be able to get it out too :)

I would try perhaps to retract the first end and then push harder to try and push that same end further down the sleeve.
I tried pushing so hard that my fingers hurt. I don't want to get too crazy and slip and ruin the watch or something.

Can you grab the end of the springbar you have freed from the lug hole with a needle nose pliers and pull out (and ruin) the springbar? And then insert a new springbar with the new band?
How much force is required to break the springbar? I don't want to risk damaging the watch in the process. Gonna need an awfully small plier tip for that though...I hope I have one and that they even make them this small...it's a small space, solid endlinks.

#10 ·
So:
the sleeve is not completely the width of the lugs (good)
and the pin won't go fully within the sleeve. (bad)

One vital thing to bear in mind is:

That spring bar went in there at some time, so you should be able to get it out too :)

I would try perhaps to retract the first end and then push harder to try and push that same end further down the sleeve.

#14 ·
You might need a set of spring bar pliers.

The bad news is that they seem to be very expensive.
That might work, but as I've said, the sleeve prevents both ends of the spring from being compressed at the same time by pushing up against both tips. I don't know even if a springbar pliers will fix it. I'm not about to spend $150 just to try that.

#16 ·
All I can think of at this point is to remove all the links from the bracelet except the first one that's attached to the endlink, and then get a pliers and bend it until the springbar breaks. I'd like to avoid anything like this because of the obvious risk of damaging the watch, but I don't see how else it's going to be possible to remove it! I've had tough-to-remove bracelets before, but DAMN this one is the worst!

#19 ·
Tape up the watch , drill a suitably (a size up from the spring bar) sized hole in the back of the end link carefully (right over where the spring bar is) in a pillar drill... once you're through the end link you're into the spring bar.

The watch will be unharmed and end link still fully useable

#27 ·
Re: Maybe try this??

I have read all the advice here on this thread, from yanking hard on the strap, twisting the spring bar with players, to prying out the spring bar with brute force, to hitting it with a chisel. Meanwhile I am cringing and wincing my teeth thinking what is going to happen to the OP's watch lugs. Oh my Lord!

If you want to be a "Do it yourself" tape up the watch and cut the spring bars. If a bracelet, then yes take all other links off and cut OR drill press the spring bar out (of course NOT through the lug).

Or, like me, if we consider ourselves to be amateurs, and not pros, send it to a professional.....

#31 ·
Here is what I would do (warning, I am insane and don't mind scratches)

I've got an old style workbench like this one
Furniture Table

I'd place pegs in it (adding new holes to the bench if needed) spaced the width of the bracelet.
Then I'd more or less gently clamp the other end of the bracelet to the other bench top.
Hold the watch so it doesn't fly off when the spring bar fails.
Begin widening the gap between the bench tops. It would act like vise in reverse. The spring bar will fail (well, either it or the clamp holding the bracelet down, if so then reclamp and repeat until basking in success)

On second thought, maybe better not try this. (I would, but like I said, I'm bonkers)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.