Am I the only proportion snob around here?
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Am I the only proportion snob around here?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Am I the only proportion snob around here?

Over the past year or so I have bought/sold/traded tons of divers (mostly micros in the $300-$1000 range)

I have come to notice something about myself.... I am a proportion snob.

I dont like the lug width to be more than half of the case width (skx007/009 would be perfect with 20mm lugs). I dont like the lug 2 lug to be more than 8 or so mm of the case width, but dislike short/no lugs.

There is a sweet spot for thickness...... bracelet taper is a must!!!

I have seen so many watches that look great in pics and on other peoples wrist, then to get them and not love them as much.....

Anyone else have this curse?
    TheGanzman and DiverBob like this.
    My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them.....

Re: Am I the only proportion snob around here?

Phidias would be proud of you
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Welcome to the winter of watch collecting. I've been in your position for about three years now. I don't even bother with watches if any of the measurements I like are off by more than a few mm. It doesn't matter how good the piece looks.

The ONLY watch on my radar right now is the MKII Tornek-Rayville, and there's no telling when Bill will release it.
    PixlPutterMan and TheGanzman like this.
    We are how we treat each other and nothing more.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Iím in the same boat. Certain watches, think Jhungans, have gorgeous proportions. Iím more picky about the proportions of the hands and dial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am!
    I absolutely cannot stand lugs that are too far apart for the case width.
    A 41 mm case with 22mm lugs is a complete abomination and should be cleansed in fire. Yet they are plentiful..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PixlPutterMan and DiverBob like this.

Not me. I love watches big and small. Some of my favorite pieces are giant, or tiny. Love the Citizen 1000m zillas, but also love my 36mm Oris. What I don't love is a small watch with long lugs, that just annoys me. If it is going to be 40mm or under, for heaven's sake keep the lug size under 48mm otherwise it looks weird.
    PixlPutterMan likes this.
    Flippito ergo sum - I flip therefore I am

Quote Originally Posted by johnnmiller1 View Post
    Not me. I love watches big and small. Some of my favorite pieces are giant, or tiny. Love the Citizen 1000m zillas, but also love my 36mm Oris. What I don't love is a small watch with long lugs, that just annoys me. If it is going to be 40mm or under, for heaven's sake keep the lug size under 48mm otherwise it looks weird.
    If I am flexible on something its the L2L.

I dont mind smaller watches, I have a King Seiko that is 36mm and up till recently a 46mm JSAR.

It just seems to be that sweet spot of so many micros that are 42mm case and a 22mm lug. I'd have 40 Steinharts if they were 42/20 (and would curve their damn lugs)
    My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them.....

Quote Originally Posted by MadsNilsson View Post
    I am!
    I absolutely cannot stand lugs that are too far apart for the case width.
    A 41 mm case with 22mm lugs is a complete abomination and should be cleansed in fire. Yet they are plentiful..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PREACH
    BDIC likes this.

I think you can find just about any kind of snob you like here. I dislike non-functional ornamentation. Which you could argue IS a watch.
    Have at it.
    PixlPutterMan likes this.
    The great Confucius said that he would rather be a profound political economist than chief of police.

I hate odd lug widths (19, 21). IMO, the lug width should be 1/2 the case diameter rounded to the nearest even integer. For tweeners like 42mm, I think either 20 or 22 is fine. I tend to favor slightly wider than half the case width over slightly slimmer on tweeners, but I wouldn't say either looks wrong. 38mm head with 20mm lugs looks great to me, particularly on a sports watch. Even on a 36mm watch like an Explorer, I think 20mm can look OK depending on the lug and case shape.