Bulova Devil Diver vs Glycine Combat Sub
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Bulova Devil Diver vs Glycine Combat Sub

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bulova Devil Diver vs Glycine Combat Sub

Help me decide between these two! I like them both; looking for something nice but causal. The devil diver has the vintage cool, but I’ve inly read good things about Glycine as well.

Re: Bulova Devil Diver vs Glycine Combat Sub

Don't have a devil diver...yet, but i can't see it beating a combat sub for the price. I found mine to have a refined crown and bezel, plus it runs 1-2 seconds per day. But i am a sucker for a tonneau cased diver, so it doesn't get as much wrist time as it should.

Devil Diver imo. But, your a big boy decide for yourself...
    Steve0 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Which version of the Devil Diver? The LE uses a 2824, same as Glycine. The non-LE Oceanographer version uses a Miyota 8 series which is... Meh at the price they ask for that watch.
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

Two totally different animals.

I'd make the decision on which watch is going to go with the outfits with which you intend to wear it. The Glycine will work with business casual and even a suit, as well as jeans and t-shirt; the Bulova, not so much. Don't get me wrong, I like the Devil Diver, both versions. Will eventually get the green or blue/orange. But, it's a casual, vintage-vibe watch. Much more fun, while the Glycine is much more versatile. You can get both for $400 or a little less with a little searching about, so I'd go with the one that will work best for how you intend to wear it.
    The Now Not-So-Much Diminished WishList: Atticus Pelion ND (pre-order) Precista PRS-3 (upcoming quartz versioin, black); Precista Caribbean (undecided on color); Bulova Lunar Pilot (polished, no date); Yema Navygraf reissue; Casio T200

If it was me, I would go for the Bulova Oceanographer "Devil Diver". Bulova, being part of the Citizen Watch Co. Ltd, is a solid brand. Plus, Citizen's Miyota 821D movement is a proven workhorse in being reliable and has been on the market for some time.

I don’t know how you arrived at a decision between two completely different looking watches like these. In this instance I’d go for whatever watch style you like better or picture yourself wearing on the regular.
    Best of luck.

Like previously stated two totally different watches. My vote for watch and brand would be Bulova.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I can imagine being stuck between the two - they may be very different, but they occupy a similar price point and both offer some pedigree. The Devil Diver model itself might have the edge in historic significance, but I'd give the Glycine a win.

The Combat Sub is sleek, wears small and hugs the wrist. It's super comfortable overall. In contrast, the Bulova perches on the wrist, perhaps as much as a Seiko Turtle, which looks fantastic but wears rather awkwardly, despite being comfortable with its soft edges.

I owned a Combat Sub until recently, and the modified SW200 ran consistently less than +1s/day. Can the Miyota really compete with that? The Glycine name has taken a hit recently, but the quality seems to be there still. I just question their customer support, which is the reason I sold mine. Beyond that, I've heard about QC problems with the Devil Diver. You can't argue with the looks - the Bulova has that quirky charm, but I think I'd feel better placing my trust in the Glycine.
    Thunder1 likes this.

I'd go w/ the Glycine too. I really had high hopes when I heard Bulova was doing a re-issue of the Devil Diver, but the use of the 821D non-hacking movement pretty much killed it for me. I really can't stand non-hacking movements anymore.
    Current Watches:

*1950's Omega Seamaster
    *Android Octopus
    *Tissot Seastar Powermatic 80
    *Seiko PADI Turtle
    *Bulova Accutron II Snorkel
    *Steinhart Ocean One Vintage
    *Alpina Seastrong 300
    *Vostok Amphibia
    *Ocean7 LM-3 V2
    *Seiko SKX007
    *Zodiac Super Sea Wolf 53 Skin