Can't make up my mind! Blancpain Fifty Fathoms 45mm or Rolex DSSD?

Poll: Which Dive Watch To Choose?

Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Can't make up my mind! Blancpain Fifty Fathoms 45mm or Rolex DSSD?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Calling all dive watch fanatics and aficionados! I'm looking to purchase my next dive watch and it's between two choices.

The Rolex Deep Sea Sea-Dweller or Blancpain Fifty Fathoms 45mm.

I don't dive, so the choice is based purely on aesthetics, movement and reputation.

I like my watches with wrist presence so 44mm vs 45mm is not an issue and I don't mind the thickness of either of them.

The DSSD comes on a bracelet which is a big plus and even though I don't dive, the fact the DSSD can go deeper is a big selling point.

However, the Blancpain looks like a piece that can be dressed up or down and that bezel is one of the most beautiful, if not the most beautiful on any dive watch seen.

I seem to like the dial of the FF more because it's just a clean look while the Rolex has way too much text and different fonts.

We all know about the rep of Rolex and the history that comes along with it, but did you know that the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms was the original modern dive watch?

HISTORY OF FIFTY FATHOMS

The Blancpain Fifty Fathoms was the original modern dive watch. Yes, you read that correctly. While many people would instinctively give this title to the more well-known Rolex Submariner, the Fifty Fathoms actually debuted a number of innovations a year before the Submariner.

Name:  698612d1336092078-perfect-world-blancpain-fiftyfanthoms-thumb-450x307.jpg
Views: 6595
Size:  115.2 KB

All that being said, at the end of the day a Rolex is a Rolex and I've shied away in the past because of the smaller 40mm dials on the subs. However, now that there is a 44mm which some serious thickness, now may be the time to dive right it (pun intended).

I may just have to go for one and eventually switch it up for the other, but the agony of choosing which one is killing me!

First world problems I know, but just wanted to take a poll and see which dive watch the aficionado's would decide.

Please feel free to post your opinion on why you would go with one over the other.

Cheers!

Name:  deepsea.jpg
Views: 2805
Size:  69.8 KB
    Present: ROLEX Hulk Submariner, Pepsi GMT 16750 & 2T Datejust 1601 * PANERAI Radiomir PAM183 * IWC Ingenieur Mission Earth * BREITLING Navitimer Olympus * SEIKO Orange Monster * TISSOT PRC200 * SWATCH '86 Lancelot

Past: BREITLING Super Avenger (Sold)
    * OMEGA Seamaster Planet Ocean XL (Sold) * SEVENFRIDAY P3-1 (Sold) * SEIKO Black Monster (Traded) & Fifty-Five Fathoms Mod (Sold) * HAMILTON '60 Masterpiece Thin-o-matic (Sold)

Hunting:
    AP RO 15400

The Grail (Someday): Patek Philippe Aquanaut

Time is too precious to measure with a cheap watch * The greatest luxury in life is time. Savour every second.

THG

Between these two, my vote goes to the rolex. But when compared to the (regular) BP Bathyscaphe (or Chrono flyback) the choice would be obvious to me...good luck with your dilemma
    Last edited by THG; July 6th, 2014 at 11:05. Reason: edit
    Me: Tag Heuer Carrera Racing, Tag Heuer Formula 1, Tudor Heritage Black Bay, Seiko SKX009J, Seiko 6309-7040, Seiko 6105-8110, Seiko Darth Tuna SBBN025
    Wife: Hublot classic MDM, Patek Philippe Ellipse d'or, Cartier Tank Louis

Re: Can't make up my mind! Blancpain Fifty Fathoms 45mm or Rolex DSSD?

The 50, anytime, everytime
    Danny T and 20DYNAMITE07 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wish I had this issue. Both watches on my want list. I would go BP however the tribute to aqua lung version

No question about it for me, the Rolex DSSD! Cheers, Bill P.

TBH I prefer the design of the FF however I'd buy the DSSD as I prefer SS bracelets and dislike the SS option for the FF.

However if the Bathy were also an option I'd go for that one, in TI with the NATO over the DSSD and FF due to it being a more versatile and wearable than the other two behemoths. Having tried on the DSSD before, it's too top heavy to be an every day watch and wouldn't fit under a cuff. Strikes me as a real door handle magnet.
    THG likes this.
    One watch, two watch, three watch, divorce.

FF for the win (even if I much prefer the bathyscaphe, in the blancpain divers line up).

The Rollex DSSD is just a joke. Too big, too thick, too heavy to be worn on earth. Too bloody expensive to be worn as a diving tool.
    thumos likes this.
    “Don’t count every hour in the day, make every hour in the day count.”

HtRV powa!
    Instagram: Franc38

Why does it matter if the dssd can go deeper if you don't dive?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    jason_recliner and Metlin like this.

I'm w Blancpain Aqualung or 50 Fathoms. If u still want Rolex Dssd but at a fraction lesser, y not take a look at Helberg CH1 Ss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information