Certina DS Action Precidrive overview
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Certina DS Action Precidrive overview

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Certina DS Action Precidrive overview

Ever since I got my Scurfa I've been on the hunt for another quartz diver. I wanted something in the 40-41mm range but not a Scurfa lookalike. I chose something that isn't seen that often on WUS and had the look I was going for, the Certina DS Action Precidrive, in titanium:

Name:  front2.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  143.0 KB

Like many quartz watches the second doesn't always hit the markers dead on but this one's pretty darn close the majority of the time. It's off just a fraction of a mm in a couple spots around the dial. The bezel is 60 click and lines up perfect, although the action isn't the greatest and because it's somewhat smooth, isn't as easy to grip as other bezels I've used.

In case you were wondering, "DS" is something Certina came up with in 1959, it stands for "Double Security" and it consists of 5 factors: sapphire crystal, o-ring seal on the stem, 2 o-rings on the crown, a special seal on the caseback (haven't looked yet), and a reinforced caseback. It's 300 meters water resistant. Speaking of the caseback, the turtle represents the security concept:
    Name:  back.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  142.2 KB

The Ti version has a subtle monochrome look to it that appealed to me. Not quite as stark as black, but in low light it can appear so, it changes slightly depending on the lighting:
    Name:  out1.jpg
Size:  158.6 KBName:  out2.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  181.7 KB

One nice touch is the extension clasp, something I wish more of my watches had. Each increment is roughly 3mm:
    Name:  clasp.jpg
Size:  139.1 KB

The lume is okay, nothing to write home about, and I knew that going in. As much as I love ultra bright lume, in reality I don't get much use out of it:
    Name:  lume2.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  84.3 KB

The dial is very attractive, applied indices, cool cut out hands, a splash of red on the seconds, and a nice sunburst finish that catches the light nicely:
    Name:  front.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  29.0 KB

Dimensions are 41mm x 11mm (thin!), L2L about 47mm, lugs are 20mm and the bracelet tapers to 18mm. It weighs an astounding 94.5gm (4 grams less than my Scurfa with a rubber strap) so it's ultra comfortable. To top it all off, it has a 3 jewel, thermo-compensated ETA F07.411 movement which is supposed to be accurate to +/- 10 seconds per year.
    Since I mentioned Scurfa at the beginning, here they are side-by-side for a size comparison:
    Name:  side.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  84.2 KBName:  compare.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  179.3 KB

Certina also has SS models in green, blue, and black. I have to say I'm tempted. Any questions let me know. Have a great weekend!
    Ferg
    Last edited by Fergfour; 1 Week Ago at 01:09.
    Nesoni, Econoline, mtbmike and 3 others like this.

Re: Certina DS Action Precidrive overview

11mm is thin for a driver, I've been searching for a dive watch under 12mm. I love the titanium case and bracelet. As a plus it looks like a micro quick adjust clasp. Awesome watch! Thanks for posting it it.

Enviado desde mi SM-G955U mediante Tapatalk

Thanks for the review. Joma sells it under 500 bucks. What is the time of battery life? I've also read that bazel insert is made from the titanium. Do you know how will show titanium insert compared to aluminum bezel - regarding scratch resistance? Enjoy in your new watch

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Nesoni View Post
    Thanks for the review. Joma sells it under 500 bucks. What is the time of battery life? I've also read that bazel insert is made from the titanium. Do you know how will show titanium insert compared to aluminum bezel - regarding scratch resistance? Enjoy in your new watch

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
    It is very thin for a 300m watch, maybe it's that "DS Action" magic ;)
    You are correct, as I mentioned the clasp is extendable.
    I'm guessing battery life is 3-4 years, some of the Certina literature says up to 5 for a 3 hander.
    In one old review I read the bezel was aluminum with and epoxy/acrylic-like coating, which can be polished sort of like acrylic crystals. Whatever it is, it has a glossy finish.
    Last edited by Fergfour; 1 Week Ago at 23:50.
    Nesoni likes this.

Thanks for the write up and pics! I have been tempted by one of these for awhile. Just not sure if black, blue or the TI model. Might have to try the TI, as I do not have one and don't think I'll splurge for a Shogun until I am convinced I like TI. I tried a Pelagos on for a while once and found it felt...odd to be so light for it's size. I'm also afraid of scratching and dinging the heck out of a Ti case. So this might be the Ti watch to try. And the extension on the clasp is a plus.
    Fergfour likes this.
    The Now Not-So-Much Diminished WishList: Newmark 71 black (maybe silver, too); Precista PRS-3 (upcoming quartz versioin, black); Precista Caribbean (undecided on color); Seiko Shogun; Sinn: 104 Black or White.

Nice review. I might have to consider this watch as a grab and go. I've been thinking of getting a quartz.
    Fergfour likes this.

Wearing it today, ultra comfortable. Not worried about scratches because it's not the typical matte finish seen on other watches I've had, it's basically brushed (not the bezel which is polished). I can see easily brushing out minor scratches myself just like I would on a SS.
    Name:  cert.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  67.7 KB
    I could be wrong but these DS Action Precidrive, both SS and Ti, might be discontinued, not sure.

Thanks for the review and pictures. I have really been looking at this hard because the regular DS Action Diver is too big for me.

I really like the size and the finish of the watch. I have a couple of other Certina's that are great as well.

Just wished they put the time into their lume that they do to their cases and bracelets and the world would be perfect.....
    Fergfour likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Agreed, not perfect, but beautiful despite it’s faults. I may consider a SS model in the future, although I’m assuming the weight difference would be noticeable. A strap might be prudent on the SS, at least for me.

I have the auto version, the bezel insert might be aluminum... but there is a coating on it that can be buffed to remove scratches, guessing it to be acrylic but can't be sure.
    Most of the case and bracelet are brushed, so touch up to cover marks is pretty easy.
    The bezel insert seems to hold up nicely, but mine has discolored a bit toward yellow or perhaps greenish... it actually looks pretty great on the Ti / grey. I've heard the new edition DS's don't suffer the same discoloration issues.
    The clasp on mine is where I see the most scrapes and wear, luckily it buffs out easily.

I'm not certain if the Precidrive models have been discontinued, but the Ti auto has been gone for at least a couple of years.
    Fergfour likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information