Citizen BN0151 vs Seiko SNE499

Poll: Citizen BN0151 vs Seiko SNE499

Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Citizen BN0151 vs Seiko SNE499

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Citizen BN0151 vs Seiko SNE499

Iíve done a quick search and nothing much came up that I found to be of use, ie. a head to head comparison. Iím interested in both these watches, however Iím curious as to what other peopleís opinions are. Like which one is better and why. Does the higher price of the Seiko reflect a better watch?

Iím new to the world of solar watches, having used automatics for years; so donít really know much about them. Iím attracted by the increased accuracy and low maintenance with no regular battery changes etc. Iím currently using an SKX which is a great watch but Iím looking for something different.

Iím generally a one watch guy rather than a collector so getting both isnít an option haha.

Re: Citizen BN0151 vs Seiko SNE499

I own the Blue Citizen, it is one of my favorites and was pretty much the least expensive watch in my collection until I added the OEM bracelet. I'm not a fan of the Tuna shroud for purely aesthetic reasons, so I can't say which one is "better", I suspect that quality-wise they are both on pretty equal terms. I'm sure someone will chime in with why one movement is better than the other.

Neither is "better"than the other.The Seiko is a so called Limited Edition & the dial looks kinda cool but NOT worth the $450.00 retail.The Citizen is the solid value choice here,unless you absolutely must have the PADi edition & can get it for $300.00 or less...I will also add that Tuna's look killer on mesh!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Current(Automatic):
    Fortis "Mars 500 Chronograph",1 of 500...
    Squale"30Atmos GMT"Alpine Green,1 of 200...
    Damasko "DSub1"...
    Zodiac"Super Seawolf"Creamsicle...
    Deep Blue "Daynight Diver"Sunray Blue/Blue Ceramic,T100GTLS...
    Future additions:
    Undone custom"PVD/Old Radium No Date"Diver...
    Squale"101 Atmos"PVD/Yellow...
    GRAIL:2020 Omega Seamaster "Bond 007 Edition"...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Another tricky one. On reflection I think I’d go Seiko.

They're quite different watches and one is substantially more expensive than the other. That said, I own a Seiko SNE498 and STBR008 and I wear and really enjoy both. Were they "worth" the price I paid, retail? For me, sure but then I'm a Seiko fan. Buy the one you love most.

I am more of a Seiko fan, but I will say my experience with solars is that Citizen's tech is far superior.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-1-1 View Post
    I am more of a Seiko fan, but I will say my experience with solars is that Citizen's tech is far superior.
    I'm curious, in what way? I charge up my solar Seikos and they are good for a couple of months. They're accurate to within about 10-5 seconds per day at least and overall, they're as close to set and forget as any watches I own. What else am I missing out on?

For me it would be the Citizen because I really do not like the shroud on the Seiko.

Eventually some dirt or other matter is going into those crevices.

If I was regularly bumping around wrecks and reefs I might feel different.
    Cheers

M

Current collection: Casio Oceanus T200, Glycine Combat 6 GL0106, Hamilton Khaki Mechanical H694190, Seiko Sarb 033, Citizen "Ray Mears" BN0118-55E , Casio Edifice EF-503D-1A, VSA Alliance, Citizen NY0040-09e, Seiko "Turtle" SBDY015, Lorus field watch RXF41AX7, Pulsar field watch PS9045, Seiko 5 SNXS77, SNXS73, Favre Leuba Vintage watch.
    Gone but not forgotten: Oris Big Crown Propilot, Seiko SKX009, Orient Star Classic, Citizen "Excalibur" BN0100-51E, Citizen NP4020-51A, Citizen BM8180-03E, Citizen BM6400-00e, VSA Officers day date
    Capture and release: Oris BC3, Hamilton Khaki Field, Timefactors Speedbird 3, Citizen World Timer CB0027-51E

I have the BN0151. Recently got it a couple weeks ago. I would say that the fit and finish are quite spectacular. Iím not sure of the exact model Seiko you have mentioned, but something their quality can be underwhelming.

However I still like my Seikos, just the quality and price on the Citizen is hard to beat. I usually go for the bracelet options, but I havenít ordered it yet and the diver strap is pretty comfortable.

Itís really your personal preference and what you are looking for.

I like Seiko a lot for mechanical watches but it seems like I have heard more problems than with Citizen. The Citizen Eco-Drives are very nice and I have only had one die on me and it only cost about $140 to have a completely new movement installed in it. This was after about 12 years of use. Still I would not hesitate to buy a Seiko Solar watch if I liked the watch otherwise. My newest Citizen Eco-Drive Professional Diver will hold a charge for a year in the dark. I also have a Casio G-Shock that is solar powered as a work beater watch and it has not had any type of problem.

These are my current Citizen Eco-Drives.

E8ArmyDiver and TheBigBurrito like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information