CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN - Page 102
Like Tree30943Likes

Thread: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

Page 102 of 522 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 152 202 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 5216

Re: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

Quote Originally Posted by 5661nicholas View Post
    I have a question for all owners, has anyone had success removing the half link? If I take mine out, the next link won't properly attach to the link that is attached to the clasp.....thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same boat. The clasp is the weakest point for several reasons, the half-link being one. Of the 3 I've had, one also had a dent in the clasp:

Name:  clasp-dent.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  80.8 KB
    (photo credit mb8780)

I've not yet published a review, but at risk of spoilers, my conclusions after several weeks of near-daily wear:

1. This watch is cheeky as hell
    2. This watch is good enough to be cheeky as hell

It would be worth the discounted ask with a throwaway 2824-2 clone, and it IS worth the ask with the movement it comes with... whatever its origins.

Regarding the speculation about watchmaker reactions, a German owner took his to a pro (https://uhrforum.de/der-ginault-ocea...#post3415500):

Name:  Finlay-1.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  196.1 KB

The Bergeon die for the Rolex fits the case exactly:

Name:  Finlay-2.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  167.5 KB

Watchmaker asked if it was ETA or Sellita, but did not feel the movement included any Chinese "nonsense"

Name:  Finlay-3.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  254.2 KB
    Name:  Finlay-4.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  180.2 KB
    (all pics credit Finlay 1/Sascha)

Pls correct my poor comprehension of German if required, but I understand his watchmaker was very impressed with the whole watch, and would have no issues working on this movement.

While I'm no watchmaker, I can fix a 2824 keyless in minutes, but would refuse to do so on a Chinese movement, unless the owner jumped for Swiss keyless replacement parts (which when bought individually would cost as much as the Chinese clone). Saying some watchmaker refused to fix some Chinese ETA clone with some issue is not an indictment of the Ginault movement, especially when a professional looking closely at a Ginault movement says otherwise.

Finally, as I noted about hwa's open caseback pic, the Ginault case has turn-to-remove Rolex mounts and appears to accept a 3135 Rolex movement without the ring. This movement ring would similarly allow you to drop a 2824-2 into a Rolex case. These rings exist mostly for high-end fake watches, with which the Ginault may share some parts and supply chain.

Should we care?

We can only vote with our wallets. I won't buy fakes and I won't buy crap. Whatever the past lives of the people or parts, this watch is up with the best quality I've seen, and I'm happy to encourage Ginault in this direction:

Name:  Ginaults.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  141.1 KB

Ryeguy, kelt, Radar1 and 10 others like this.
    Low-brow high-performance

Quote Originally Posted by NeedAG View Post
    Same boat. The clasp is the weakest point for several reasons, the half-link being one. Of the 3 I've had, one also had a dent in the clasp:

Name:  clasp-dent.jpg
Size:  80.8 KB
    (photo credit mb8780)

I've not yet published a review, but at risk of spoilers, my conclusions after several weeks of near-daily wear:

1. This watch is cheeky as hell
    2. This watch is good enough to be cheeky as hell

It would be worth the discounted ask with a throwaway 2824-2 clone, and it IS worth the ask with the movement it comes with... whatever its origins.

Regarding the speculation about watchmaker reactions, a German owner took his to a pro (https://uhrforum.de/der-ginault-ocea...#post3415500):

Name:  Finlay-1.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  196.1 KB

The Bergeon die for the Rolex fits the case exactly:

Name:  Finlay-2.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  167.5 KB

Watchmaker asked if it was ETA or Sellita, but did not feel the movement included any Chinese "nonsense"

Name:  Finlay-3.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  254.2 KB
    Name:  Finlay-4.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  180.2 KB
    (all pics credit Finlay 1/Sascha)

Pls correct my poor comprehension of German if required, but I understand his watchmaker was very impressed with the whole watch, and would have no issues working on this movement.

While I'm no watchmaker, I can fix a 2824 keyless in minutes, but would refuse to do so on a Chinese movement, unless the owner jumped for Swiss keyless replacement parts (which when bought individually would cost as much as the Chinese clone). Saying some watchmaker refused to fix some Chinese ETA clone with some issue is not an indictment of the Ginault movement, especially when a professional looking closely at a Ginault movement says otherwise.

Finally, as I noted about hwa's open caseback pic, the Ginault case has turn-to-remove Rolex mounts and appears to accept a 3135 Rolex movement without the ring. This movement ring would similarly allow you to drop a 2824-2 into a Rolex case. These rings exist mostly for high-end fake watches, with which the Ginault may share some parts and supply chain.

Should we care?

We can only vote with our wallets. I won't buy fakes and I won't buy crap. Whatever the past lives of the people or parts, this watch is up with the best quality I've seen, and I'm happy to encourage Ginault in this direction:

Name:  Ginaults.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  141.1 KB

I've mainly been checking in here every few weeks to see if the childish bickering has ended, apparently not ;)

However it's great to finally see the movement and read a watchmakers review. Great stuff.

Let the slanging re-commence ;)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    kelt, NeedAG and RNHC like this.

New Protos dropping and available for purchase:

180165c1ln
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 6.19.38 PM.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  248.4 KB

180260gsln
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 6.19.47 PM.jpg
Size:  196.5 KB
    Last edited by Knoc; February 17th, 2017 at 00:23.
    Apexer, Radar1 and NeedAG like this.
    Knoc
    |Underground Inventive. Overground Effective​|
    Sinn:
    EZM-13 | Omega: Planet Ocean 600m- 8800 (39.5mm) | MKII Nassua- Red T (#30) | Omega: PO-8500 (42mm) | OWC: 9411 NC | OWC: 6538 NC | Monta: OceaKing | Tourby: LawLess 40mm

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
    I don't know what brought on the non sequitur about nobody cares in the real world rumination but, of course, we are talking in context of WIS. We are exchanging views in WUS, aren't we? Did you find me a watchmaker yet, stellite? You made it sound like it would a slam dunk for you. Get me references if you can. Thanks, buddy.
    I did not see where you told me what city you lived in? I am sure I can find one.
    Hate-on troll. You didn't earn my money. Mind your own business you incredibly smug, supercilious, inverted snob.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryeguy View Post
    You have made 8 posts in this thread in the last hour alone. Maybe time for another time out?

When someone is this unreasonably focused on something, I really start losing interest in their thoughts and opinions.
    I've been crazy busy lately and had to cram in posts when I could. Didn't mean to flood the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Stellite View Post
    I did not see where you told me what city you lived in? I am sure I can find one.
    Oops, sorry about that. I thought I had. I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia. I am actually serious about finding a decent watchmaker locally so I don't have to mail out my watches. Truly, thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by kelt View Post
    Bliss!
    You are hurting my feelings.

You seem awfully defensive.....I didn't single you out, a general statement. However, if you cannot recognize that a lot of posts in this thread are argumentative, confrontational, or over the top, you simply lack awareness. I can't fault you for that, not everyone has it.
    Oh, the irony. Sure, whatever you say. Projection is a wonderful debating technique.

Quote Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
    Oops, sorry about that. I thought I had. I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia. I am actually serious about finding a decent watchmaker locally so I don't have to mail out my watches. Truly, thanks for your help.

ok, cool. I really do think you gotta have them there. Will see.
    Hate-on troll. You didn't earn my money. Mind your own business you incredibly smug, supercilious, inverted snob.

It seems to me one half link on the glide lock side should be removable.....apparently I am wrong. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They are removable, at least one is. I was able to take mine out. Some of the links seem to have some type of lip around the screw hole that makes it difficult, but not impossible to get them back together. a little pressure should push it back together,

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
    the_watchier likes this.

Madness does not always howl. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

Thread Information