CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN - Page 103
Like Tree30950Likes

Thread: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

Page 103 of 522 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 153 203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 5218

Re: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

Quote Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
    Oh, the irony. Sure, whatever you say. Projection is a wonderful debating technique.
    5 minutes of looking and I will find more. check out a review of each

National Watch Repairing
    740 Sansom St Ste 207
    Philadelphia, PA 19106

9/26/2012

Not sure what to expect when I walked into the building. It's located on the 2nd floor, above the jewelry stores. I was greeted by an elder asian man (not sure if chinese or korean). I passed him my watch and said it was rattling. It's an Ocean 7 LM-2. He opened it and said, "oh... automatic". Went to the back of the shop and 5 mins later came out and said, "fixed".

He then explained to me the problem in detail (screws had came out and the barrel came out of place) and also gave me a heads up on maintenance and potential problems down the road. In all, a great experience. Not only did I have my problem fixed but I also felt more educated. He charged me $10. Sweet deal.

Btw, there's a sign saying they don't accept personal checks and credit cards.

Raykin Watch Repairs
    60 N 9th St
    Philadelphia, PA 19107

4/13/2015

Raykin is the best watch repair shop in Philadelphia ... possibly in the region. Have a vintage watch like a 75 year old Gruen Curvex? Raykin can repair it. Have an ultra expensive watch like a Patek Philippe or a Vacheron Constantin? Raykin can fix it. Need a leather strap for your watch, but want a tan colored one with stitching on the side ... there's a good chance Raykin has it. I have 100% confidence in this gentleman - he is the consummate "old world" horologist.
    kelt and PowerChucker like this.
    Hate-on troll. You didn't earn my money. Mind your own business you incredibly smug, supercilious, inverted snob.

Stellite, thanks for the effort. In Philadelphia, we have what's called "Jewelers' Row" - a street lined withe jewelry shops (who also sells new and vintage fine watches). The first guy is from Jewelers' Row. I did check out a couple of watchmakers in the area and they didn't inspire confidence. I am sure these guys can change batteries and straps without a problem but, I don't know. I wasn't expecting a laboratory cleanliness but I did expect tidiness and machines to test pressure, timing, etc. What I saw were work areas that appeared to be disorganized and grimy as my garage. Am I expecting too much?

The second guy seems to be around or near Philadelphia Chinatown area. Great food there. I will check him out but I fear he would be very similar to Jewelers' Row watchmakers. Again, thanks for the effort. Please don't take it the wrong way. I do appreciate your effort on my behalf but you could have save yourself some work if you had just told me to look at Yelp. I really don't mean to sound ungrateful but I was hoping you had a secret list of watchmakers or something. Again, thanks.
    Stellite likes this.

Name:  DSCN0145.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  291.4 KB
    NeedAG, Knoc, Avo and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NeedAG View Post
    Regarding the speculation about watchmaker reactions, a German owner took his to a pro (https://uhrforum.de/der-ginault-ocea...#post3415500):

The Bergeon die for the Rolex fits the case exactly:

Finally, as I noted about hwa's open caseback pic, the Ginault case has turn-to-remove Rolex mounts and appears to accept a 3135 Rolex movement without the ring. This movement ring would similarly allow you to drop a 2824-2 into a Rolex case. These rings exist mostly for high-end fake watches, with which the Ginault may share some parts and supply chain.

Should we care?
    From the German watch forum thread that you've linked, there was a mention of Glidelock patent still being in effect. Interesting that Ginault is able to offer Glidelock copy on Ocean Rover.

Name:  DSCN0138.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  287.5 KB
    T-hunter, NeedAG, Knoc and 1 others like this.

Quick, someone compliment Radar1 for his photography skills. He may keep posting Ocean Rover photos until he gets his daily affirmation. Fine, I'll do it.

Nice photos, Radar1! You take some nice pictures!
    Last edited by RNHC; February 17th, 2017 at 15:54.

From the German watch forum thread that you've linked, there was a mention of Glidelock patent still being in effect. Interesting that Ginault is able to offer Glidelock copy on Ocean Rover.
    very point. So I know that the glidelock system was starting to come out in 2008. I am guessing that the patent had been filed 4-5 years before that as is usually the case so no one steels the design. Take it back to say, 2003-4, that would put it at 13-14 years old, which would be right about when the patent date expires. This is all guess, but I do know that everyone knew about the glidelock in 2008
    NeedAG likes this.
    Hate-on troll. You didn't earn my money. Mind your own business you incredibly smug, supercilious, inverted snob.

I just saw the photos of the new models with the date windows.

My personal opinion is the no date model is the best looking of them, and more true to the classic mil-sub design. Next would be the model without the cyclops magnifier. Kudo's to Ginault for at least matching the date wheel color to the dial color. A white date wheel would've looked out of place.

Last for me is the cyclops version, but I do appreciate how Ginault adjusted their lume from the "vintage" color on the original version to a more white color to match the white date wheel. I think if they had kept the vintage lume, the white date
    wheel would've looked very out of place.

Obviously it is all just a matter of personal opinion, but, as always, Ginault seems to be sweating the details as they introduce new models.

I really wish them success in this as I look forward to seeing some new, maybe more original, designs in the future. They definitely have skills in the manufacturing department.
    NeedAG, RNHC, the_watchier and 2 others like this.

The existing no date model with the white hands/markers would also be a very nice option.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    the_watchier likes this.

Unfortunately the clasp design is the main weak point of the watch. It violates at least 1 current patent:

Name:  Rollie-Patent-1.JPG
Views: 473
Size:  62.9 KB
    (https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publ...&locale=en_EP#)

(Note this is different than the DeepSea clasp, covered by separate patents)

Personally this is my favorite clasp design and I use it on many of my builds (they're available from a host of vendors and Ebay sellers), so not exactly living clean enough to throw stones here... but nice as they are, Ginault may not be able to continue selling them.
    Last edited by NeedAG; February 17th, 2017 at 16:28. Reason: Disclaimer: Ain't no patent lawyer
    Stellite, pinkybrain and RNHC like this.
    Low-brow high-performance

Thread Information