CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN - Page 104
Like Tree30941Likes

Thread: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

Page 104 of 522 FirstFirst ... 4 54 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 154 204 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 5215

Re: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

Quote Originally Posted by Ryeguy View Post
    I do appreciate how Ginault adjusted their lume from the "vintage" color on the original version to a more white color to match the white date wheel.
    It's a pity they used C1 lume instead of BGW9 though…

Quote Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
    The existing no date model with the white hands/markers would also be a very nice option.
    Agreed. And a ceramic bezel option would be nice too.

As an owner, I'd be just as happy if they created an 18mm wide, signed, slide extension clasp similar to what we see on any number of micros. I believe those slide lock type extension clasps are currently only available in 20mm widths, so they would either have to create them or find a supplier willing to adjust the dimensions. A slide lock clasp that wasn't quite so large and thick those currently offered would be a fantastic enhancement.

Regarding the patent infringement specifically identified, Rolex might have a difficult time enforcing or seeking damages. As you point out, these "glide lock" style clasps are readily available on-line from a number of sources. From my limited experience in patent law, my understanding is a historic lack of defense of a patented design can limit your ability to establish future claims. If nothing else, the historic lack of protection would be used as a defense by the defendant.

Then again, Rolex has a fleet of attorneys on staff and Ginault is probably only a 4 or 5 person business (at best). I highly doubt Ginault would even take this to court as the costs of the defense are simply too great.

In discussions with another enthusiast, I was wondering about brands such as Tempus Machina who make very high end Rolex homages that sell for $25,000+. Tempus Machina actually puts dials labeled "Rolex" into their watches, but the dials were not printed by Rolex. Their 6538 homage uses an 8mm brevet (logo'ed with the Rolex crown) crown, but I'm not certain the crown itself is authentic Rolex. There is the possibility Tempus Machina found a stockpile of NOS 8mm 6538 crowns, but as that model has been out of production since 1961, I find that somewhat doubtful. It is kind of an interesting discussion - if I take a Rolex dial, strip it bare, repaint it and re-lume it, then print "Rolex" back on the dial, am I violating IP and Trademark protections? My attorneys would likely say "yes" and pursue a defense, but then again, that's their job.
    RNHC and NeedAG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tovarisch View Post

Agreed. And a ceramic bezel option would be nice too.
    I'd agree on ceramic, but I'd prefer it to have a dull, flat finish rather than a high gloss. A friend blasted his OWC bezel insert using aluminum as the blast media and it created a really nice, flat, effect that looked great.

My only concern with ceramic bezel inserts is when they are fully lumed. I have an OWC which has given me no issues despite being repeatedly used in the ocean, but I've also seen several Pelagos with paint missing from their inserts.

While certainly more rugged, ceramic inserts do also present another potential failure mode.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

In discussions with another enthusiast, I was wondering about brands such as Tempus Machina who make very high end Rolex homages that sell for $25,000+. Tempus Machina actually puts dials labeled "Rolex" into their watches, but the dials were not printed by Rolex. Their 6538 homage uses an 8mm brevet (logo'ed with the Rolex crown) crown, but I'm not certain the crown itself is authentic Rolex. There is the possibility Tempus Machina found a stockpile of NOS 8mm 6538 crowns, but as that model has been out of production since 1961, I find that somewhat doubtful. It is kind of an interesting discussion - if I take a Rolex dial, strip it bare, repaint it and re-lume it, then print "Rolex" back on the dial, am I violating IP and Trademark protections? My attorneys would likely say "yes" and pursue a defense, but then again, that's their job.
    This is really interesting topic. Is Tempus Machina is taking vintage Rolex watches/parts, refinishing (or refurbishing) them, and re-selling them? Or is Tempus Machina actually making dials that says Rolex? If it's latter case, obviously it's not homage but crosses over into an area we are forbidden to talk about. I can't believe Rolex would not take action if that was the case, especially if Tempus Machina is selling their watches for more than the real McCoy.

I just saw the photos of the new models with the date windows.

My personal opinion is the no date model is the best looking of them, and more true to the classic mil-sub design. Next would be the model without the cyclops magnifier. Kudo's to Ginault for at least matching the date wheel color to the dial color. A white date wheel would've looked out of place.

Last for me is the cyclops version, but I do appreciate how Ginault adjusted their lume from the "vintage" color on the original version to a more white color to match the white date wheel. I think if they had kept the vintage lume, the white date
    wheel would've looked very out of place.

Obviously it is all just a matter of personal opinion, but, as always, Ginault seems to be sweating the details as they introduce new models.

I really wish them success in this as I look forward to seeing some new, maybe more original, designs in the future. They definitely have skills in the manufacturing department.
    In agreement here.
    NeedAG likes this.
    Knoc
    |Underground Inventive. Overground Effective​|
    Sinn:
    EZM-13 | Omega: Planet Ocean 600m- 8800 (39.5mm) | MKII Nassua- Red T (#30) | Omega: PO-8500 (42mm) | OWC: 9411 NC | OWC: 6538 NC | Monta: OceaKing | Tourby: LawLess 40mm

A new review is posted on my blog by @skylinegtr_34 great pics were uploaded as well.
    Here is a teaser

instagram @ the_watchier

New Q & A thread from Ginault....

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=4056745

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Stellite, FireMonk3y and RNHC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hanshananigan View Post
    More non-answers from Ginault. Why do they even bother, I wonder.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
    I wonder why you even bother.
    Radar1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
    He's baaaaaaack!!!
    Breitling Navitimer//Crepas Plongeur//Dornblüth & Sohn 99.1//H2O K2 Chrono//IWC LePetit Prince 3777-14
    Oris Big Crown Complication//Panerai 114,510 //Tourby Vintage Central Seconds Pilot

Thread Information