CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN - Page 110
Like Tree30921Likes

Thread: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

Page 110 of 520 FirstFirst ... 10 60 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 160 210 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 5197

Re: Bracelet issues

Haven't had any issues with the clasp on mine but have only been wearing it for a few weeks, I'm thinking that possibly the glidelock part that sits into the groove wasn't seated fully down into the groove when the clasp closed so then it would be sitting a little high and possibly would then be "pulling" too tightly on the hook that the swiveling end clamps over? Does that make sense?

Re: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

I'll agree with MTBMIKE on the MKii comment. While I have concerns over MKii's product delivery schedule and I've heard mixed reviews of their service, once delivered the product appears to be of good quality. Certainly there have been some reports of issues (click springs for instance) but MKii has also delivered quite a few more products so statistics would probably suggest MKii quality should still be considered high.

Regarding the clasp, the only issue I've had was the bracelet screw closest to the flip lock backed out just a little bit. It wasn't out enough to notice obviously just by looking at the bracelet, but it was enough to interfere with the flip lock from opening. The tolerances between the ID of the flip lock and the OD of the bracelet link is surprisingly tight.

I was able to reset the screw while wearing the watch (a bit of a trick) then open the watch clasp as normal to remove it. I then reset the screw again, except this time with a bit of locktite. I would recommend this as SOP for everyone using this bracelet, especially for this specific screw.

Maybe the same thing happened to you? If you forced the flip lock over the screw head, you may have bent the flip lock a bit, making it feel looser than normal. I'm not certain there is an easy solution. You might try to squeeze the flip lock back into shape, but I'm not certain how well it work work. Option "B" is to simply write to Ginault and ask to purchase a replacement clasp.
    the_watchier and NeedAG like this.

I like it but not paying $1300 for one. Id buy one at the same price as a reviewer

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Dec1968 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by morrijef View Post
    I like it but not paying $1300 for one. Id buy one at the same price as a reviewer

And you would miss the opportunity to own what is by far the best "classic" submariner homage available. A watch you could proudly show around just like a Tiffany or a Bamford Sub, the Ocean Rover on the wrist feels like a Submariner 14060 or 16610 only difference it costs 1/6th for the same quality.

credit picture Stellite
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by kelt; April 28th, 2017 at 15:36.

Quote Originally Posted by morrijef View Post

I don't necessarily disagree with you. Any relatively unknown micro charging north of $1,000 USD for a product is a stretch as for as I'm concerned.

Personally, I think the discount for an honest review was a smart move on Ginault's part. I paid $520 for my example with the discount and if the watch was a POS, I would've said so and just used it as a beater surf watch until it died.

The honest answer is the watch is really nice - far beyond "beater" status. If you are a fan of Sub styled watches, you could very easily do much worse and you'd be hard pressed to do much better.

While maybe a topic for another thread, an interesting (in my opinion) comparison would be the new Monta versus the Ginault. Monta went an alternate path in marketing by establishing relationships with some blogs and presenting watches to them for review. The Monta is also priced significantly higher than the Ginault at $3,500 USD. Certainly one could point out the Monta's use of the Eterna movement and different included accessories, but, rhetorically speaking, is the Monta really "worth" 3X the Ginault?

I sum it up as understanding the market will dictate the "right" price for the product. Ginault started low ($520 for very early adopters) and seems to be slowly raising their prices by reducing discounts over time. This makes sense as I took a risk buying the Ginault when I did. The later you purchase, the more information you have available, the less the risk and therefore the less the necessary discount to gain customers.

Monta, in contrast, seems to have gone for the pricing high ground, but they must also certainly understand their market to be very narrow at this introductory price point. They are using marketing techniques designed to specifically target these potential buyers.

Regarding your original statement, my opinion is, if you are interested in the Ginault, I would make the jump sooner versus later.
    NeedAG and mf1tym like this.

If Ginault had been run a Kickstarter campaign, no one had been complaining about the difference in Price for early adopters...

Sent from the north!
    Fox143 likes this.

I think the Mk11 was only mentioned due to previous mentions with regards to the non-Ginault lovers making comments about the Ginault but personally I love the earlier Mk11 offerings which of course were also Rollie homages and I would have loved to have one or two of them sitting side by side with my Ginault in my watchbox but unfortunately the Kingston and Nassau that I love are simply not easily available and I have been on the email list for years with no sign of either being again available.

On the other hand I ordered my Ginault and it was shipped within a few days so as far as a buying experience Ginault was easy.

As far as perceived value is concerned it is a hard one as I'm sure that the early buyers of the first Mk11 were also hesitant at first of spending a still significant amount on an new brand but now those used Kingstons are going for close to three grand, the brand became popular and the value is now perceived as high but it could have easily gone the other way.

For me I simply look at it as like so many other purchases, can I afford it and I am looking at it purely as a basic item and whether it gives me what I want from that item.

I'm sure many here spent thousands on their first plasma or LCD TV and most of those are now in landfill so $1300 - 1500 for a watch that will likely last a lifetime is not too much for me at least and if I'm lucky many will see the same value as I do and our watches will increase in popularity and also value.

And I try not to post without pics so here's another of my OR.

Last edited by 59er; April 28th, 2017 at 23:15.
    Fox143, the_watchier, kelt and 8 others like this.

accuarcy seems to be losing time. about -4 s now instead of -1s. if it was tested for six weeks I'd figure it's settled. Is everyone's else still running as speced on third timing sheet?
    Jtragic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drinkbleach View Post
    accuarcy seems to be losing time. about -4 s now instead of -1s. if it was tested for six weeks I'd figure it's settled. Is everyone's else still running as speced on third timing sheet?
    How are you measuring?

Readings will vary depending on watch position and spring tension so variations of 3 or 4 seconds would be expected unless using a specific position, sample time and a fully wound spring.

Quote Originally Posted by 59er View Post
    How are you measuring?

Readings will vary depending on watch position and spring tension so variations of 3 or 4 seconds would be expected unless using a specific position, sample time and a fully wound spring.
    ahhh. I leave face up when going to bed. usually only wear after I get home from work (5-11pm) so spring might not be fully wound. should I re-sample with fully wound spring every night?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Jtragic likes this.