CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN - Page 151
Like Tree30861Likes

Thread: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

Page 151 of 519 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 201 251 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 5181

Re: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

Quote Originally Posted by mf1tym View Post
    Dry lube for bike chains?
    I believe that will work as well (even better), but I grabbed a can from Advance autoparts that was just labeled "dry lube" :)

Although I wish I would have received a perfect bracelet, unfortunately I didn't, and love the watch so much, that i was willing to put a little love into it :)
    Name:  ginpic.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  1.82 MBName:  ginpic2.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  2.09 MB
    Last edited by JohnBPittsburgh; August 16th, 2017 at 21:36.
    Avo, the_watchier and Gfxdaddy like this.

So I now have in my possession, three different Ginault models:
    1. 181070LSILN (BGW9 lume; not even on their website yet)
    181270GSLID (Blue bezel with Date - They added a cyclops at no additional charge)
    3. 181070GSLN (no date; sand markers)

Prior to buying these watches, I read over countless reviews, and a lot of early bashing of Ginault that seemed to quickly fade after early adopters started receiving their watches. I'll keep this review short and to the point. I also currently own a Submariner, and have owned and sold several other Rolex models. My primary interest with Ginault was to find a high quality sub homage that I could wear and enjoy, but at a significantly lower price point.

High Points
    - The case is beautifully shaped, cut, polished, and brushed. This is THE best case of all the Rolex homages I've owned. The worst is probably, IMO, Steinhart with its skinny straight lugs.
    - The enamel dial is excellent, although I wish the Ocean Rover text was red. Other than that, home run.
    - Glide-lock clasp is also excellent; it's not Rolex quality, but also not stamped garbage like most of the Rolex homages I've put on my wrist over the years
    - The bracelet itself is equal to or better than any other Rolex homage I've purchased in the past. The end links connecting to the case, however, are the best I've ever encountered in any homage
    - Accuracy has been excellent. I've tested 2 of the 3 I have and both are well within COSC standards. I'm testing the third now.
    - I personally think the sand lume plots are gorgeous. I actually like it better than the BGW9 lume
    - The red second hand is an awesome touch. I love that splash of color; just wish it had some red in the text too
    - The crown is excellent and the feedback is very good. Not as satisfying as a Rolex, but can we really expect it to be?

Improvements
    - Bezel rotation seems hit and miss. Each of the three models I have turn with varying level of ease. This is probably my biggest gripe. Don't get me wrong, it's still nice, but could be better on the QC side. The bezel cuts could be a bit sharper too so it's easier to grip.
    - Markers; I'd like to see the minute hand shortened ever so slightly

So that's pretty much it. Would I pay full asking price? Hmm, that's a tough one. I'd be happier with the no-date model at $899 and the date at $999. But I see people paying silly amounts of money for MKII Rolex homages, which Ginault is absolutely as good as. I'm sure Ginault is considering a GMT in Pepsi and/or Coke - they'd be crazy not to - and I would probably buy one.

If you're on the fence, I recommend this watch. It's extremely well executed across the board. If you don't have the scratch for a Rolex, this is a very respectable option for far less money. If you have a small wrist, this watch will look fantastic on you since it's sized like the 16610. I'll try to get a picture or two up later.

Last edited by GermanyMatt; August 18th, 2017 at 14:27.
    marcell, Tanjecterly, 59er and 7 others like this.

Nice watch for the money. Too many nice divers, not enough $
    59er and JohnBPittsburgh like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Nanook65 View Post
    Nice watch for the money. Too many nice divers, not enough $
    I hear you. If I had all the dive watches that are on my wish list, it would probably be a couple of dozen.
    59er likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanyMatt View Post

181270GSLID (Blue bezel with Date - They added a cyclops at no additional charge)

Did they replace the domed crystal with flat? If not the cyclops would add quite a lot more height to the watch.
    I also have the BGW9 model but can't comment on it vs the sand lume which I've not seen in person. Why do you prefer the latter?
    IMO a line of red text would unbalance the look especially with the red second hand. Had that been silver then it would work.
    I agree with your other points. The quality of the bezel mechanism has been quite variable between the 3 watches I've owned and is the area that needs most attention.
    Last edited by Porsche993; August 18th, 2017 at 03:51.

Banned

good one ~really

Prior to buying these watches, I read over countless reviews, and a lot of early bashing of Ginault that seemed to quickly fade after early adopters started receiving their watches. I'll keep this review short and to the point. I also currently own a Submariner, and have owned and sold several other Rolex models. My primary interest with Ginault was to find a sub homage that I could still wear and enjoy, but at a lower price point.

High Points
    - The case is beautifully shaped, cut, polished, and brushed. This is THE best case of all the Rolex homages I've owned. The worst is probably, IMO, Steinhart with its skinny straight lugs.
    - The enamel dial is excellent, although I wish the Ocean Rover text was red. Other than that, home run.
    - Glide Glock clasp is also excellent; it's not Rolex quality, but also not stamped garbage like most of the Rolex homages I've put on my wrist over the years
    - The bracelet itself is equal to or better than any other Rolex homage I've purchased in the past. The end links connecting to the case, however, are the best I've ever encountered in any homage
    - Accuracy has been excellent. I've tested 2 of the 3 I have and both are well within COSC standards. I'm testing the third now.
    - I personally think the sand lume plots are gorgeous. I actually like it better than the BGW9 lume
    - The red second hand is an awesome touch. I love that splash of color; just wish it had some red in the text too
    - The crown is excellent and the feedback is very good. Not as satisfying as a Rolex, but can we really expect it to be

Improvements
    - Bezel rotation seems hit and miss. Each of the three models I have turn with varying level of ease. This is probably my biggest gripe. Don't get me wrong, it's still nice, but could be better on the QC side

So that's pretty much it. Would I pay full asking price? Hmm, that's a tough one. I'd be happier with the no-date model at $899 and the date at $999. But I see people paying silly amounts of money for MKII Rolex homages, which Ginault is absolutely as good as. I'm sure Ginault is considering a GMT in Pepsi and/or Coke - they'd be crazy not to, and I would probably buy one.

If you're on the fence, I recommend this watch. It's extremely well executed across the board. If you don't have the scratch for a Rolex, this is a very respectable option for far less money. If you have a small wrist, this watch will look fantastic on you since it's sized like the 16610. I'll try to get a picture or two up later.

Where are the photos please post tons of pics!

Instagram @ the_watchier

Prior to buying these watches, I read over countless reviews, and a lot of early bashing of Ginault that seemed to quickly fade after early adopters started receiving their watches. I'll keep this review short and to the point. I also currently own a Submariner, and have owned and sold several other Rolex models. My primary interest with Ginault was to find a sub homage that I could still wear and enjoy, but at a lower price point.

High Points
    - Glide Glock clasp is also excellent; it's not Rolex quality, but also not stamped garbage like most of the Rolex homages I've put on my wrist over the years
    - The crown is excellent and the feedback is very good. Not as satisfying as a Rolex, but can we really expect it to be

Improvements
    - Bezel rotation seems hit and miss. Each of the three models I have turn with varying level of ease. This is probably my biggest gripe. Don't get me wrong, it's still nice, but could be better on the QC side

So that's pretty much it. Would I pay full asking price? Hmm, that's a tough one. I'd be happier with the no-date model at $899 and the date at $999. But I see people paying silly amounts of money for MKII Rolex homages, which Ginault is absolutely as good as. I'm sure Ginault is considering a GMT in Pepsi and/or Coke - they'd be crazy not to, and I would probably buy one.

I am about to pull the trigger.
    Can you please measure lug to lug distance and tell me?
    because some people are reporting 47.5mm and officially Ginault says 50mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mintu View Post
    I am about to pull the trigger.
    Can you please measure lug to lug distance and tell me?
    because some people are reporting 47.5mm and officially Ginault says 50mm.
    The lug to lug measurement of the OR is 47,5mm, same as the old 5 digit Submariner, cases are identical in shape and size.

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche993 View Post
    Did they replace the domed crystal with flat? If not the cyclops would add quite a lot more height to the watch.
    I also have the BGW9 model but can't comment on it vs the sand lume which I've not seen in person. Why do you prefer the latter?
    IMO a line of red text would unbalance the look especially with the red second hand. Had that been silver then it would work.
    I agree with your other points. The quality of the bezel mechanism has been quite variable between the 3 watches I've owned and is the area that needs most attention.
    Yes, domed crystal was replaced with flat for the cyclops addition. The sand lume preference - I just find it more unique and it gives the watch just a hint of a vintage look without being over the top like others. It's all down to visual preference really; both are great.

Thread Information