CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN - Page 203
Like Tree30860Likes

Thread: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

Page 203 of 518 FirstFirst ... 103 153 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 253 303 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,030 of 5175

Re: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

Great looking watch 59er! Looking forward to your impressions. I love it that they put a strap tool in there with it...I think that's a real classy touch when a watch is shipped like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryeguy View Post
    I just looked up NeedAG's posts comparing the two. He has done one of the most detailed comparisons I've seen to date.
    I looked for that but could not find it ... would you mind posting the link to this comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by nepatriot View Post
    I looked for that but could not find it ... would you mind posting the link to this comparison?
    There you go, Sir!
    Ginault Ocean Rover No-Date 181070GSLN: A Modder's Perspective
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...6&share_type=t

Best regards,
    lvt and NeedAG like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hwa View Post
    Or

3. At least one idiot who bought a Rolex new about ten years ago, which has held all of its value, would just like to know whether any of it is too good to be true, despite all the persistently demeaning comments from those who don't care.

But, hey, bigger problems in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I dont think its too good to be true. Rolex Subs are definately the king of kings. But I suspect alot of my 9k went twds the brand's marketing advertising brand pr image building and such. A lot of the 9k i spent on my hulk went twrds prestige and a show for social status. How much of the 9k actually went twrds the quality side? Hard to say. But Ginault's Ocean Rover definately came very very very close to my Hulk at 1/10 the price. This is good news for all of us who are looking for an classis sub alternative but wish not to sacrafice on the quality side of things.

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk
    Dunzdeck likes this.

hwa

Hey, both of you, cut it out. The tone and nastiness diminishes each time one or the other of you is banned, and it starts back up as soon as the infraction is lifted. Knock it off, please.
    RNHC likes this.
    "Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
    And tell the world that everything's OK,
    But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
    'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black."

Moderator DWF & Sales Corner Quicksilver's Avatar

I have deleted posts AGAIN. As HWA stated "knock it off" RNHC asked a legitimate question and was attacked for it by a poster just coming off a timeout. Posts will continue to be deleted until I tire of it and lock the thread again.
    RNHC and SimpleWatchMan like this.

Ok gents... Can we please , please keep this civilized? I don't want to create a new thread ! Lol.

Seller Feedback, click here ! ---> Feedback. And more via email if required !

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    I have deleted posts AGAIN. As HWA stated "knock it off" RNHC asked a legitimate question and was attacked for it by a poster just coming off a timeout. Posts will continue to be deleted until I tire of it and lock the thread again.
    With all due respect I think you're ignoring a very serious and negative underlying agenda at play here. It has persisted for many months and continues to recur. That's the last I am going to say on the matter.
    deoreo likes this.

Moderator DWF & Sales Corner Quicksilver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
    With all due respect I think you're ignoring a very serious and negative underlying agenda at play here. It has persisted for many months and continues to recur. That's the last I am going to say on the matter.
    With all due respect I do understand the underlying issue and it is on both sides. The point of MY post was to point out that an actual legitimate question was posed and vehemently responded to. As you can see I deleted posts again on both sides. Continuing to believe that only ONE side has an agenda is naive. I'll leave it at that.
    Darwin likes this.

NeedAG, sounds like you have taken one of these apart and examined the movement in detail, possible disassembling a little as well? If so, can you confirm if there are ANY markings what so ever on the movement? I've seen none in any of the pictures I have seen.

I've been curious about this watch for some time. Given all the passionate back-and-forth questions about the movement, it seems to me there is a pretty easy way to incontestably settle any and all debate: all that is needed is for a watch maker, or someone with the proper skills and knowledge, to examine the movement in detail.

Technically this should not require any disassembly, other than removing the case back, because marking are required to be visible. But since no markings seem to be apparent in any pictures, perhaps it may actually require removing the rotor, or the movement form the case, to find them.

If the movement is imported (see below), even partially assembled, it must by US law be clearly stamped with the manufacturer's name or identifier (logo), COO, and # of jewels. Most mfg's would I think also include a model number for easy identification.

Even watch moments made or assembled the USA must be marked with something that identifies at least the manufacturer. Weiss and Shinola do that. In fact, failure to do this may be considered an unfair trade practice and deceptive selling per US Code of Federal Regulations.

I know this has been a sensitive topic, so before some people start slashing their wrists or jumping off buildings, please note I have no interest other than trying to offer up a simple, logical, impartial, and 100% fact-based way to settle the issue once and for all. I actually think the watch looks great.

Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (2010)
    Annotated for Statistical Reporting Purposes

1. Special Marking Requirements: With the following exceptions, any movement or case provided for in this chapter, whether importedseparately or attached to an article provided for in this chapter, shall not be permitted to be entered unless conspicuously and indeliblymarked by cutting, die-sinking, engraving, stamping (including by means of indelible ink), or mold-marking (either indented or raised), asspecified below. Movements with opto-electronic display only and cases designed for use therewith, whether entered as separatearticles or as components of assembled watches or clocks, are excepted from the marking requirements set forth in this note. Thespecial marking requirements are as follows:
      1. (a) Watch movements shall be marked on one or more of the bridges or top plates to show:
        1. (i) the name of the country of manufacture;
        2. (ii) the name of the manufacturer or purchaser; and
        3. (iii) in words, the number of jewels, if any, serving a mechanical purpose as frictional bearings.

2. (b) Clock movements shall be marked on the most visible part of the front or back plate to show:
        1. (i) the name of the country of manufacture;
        2. (ii) the name of the manufacturer or purchaser; and
        3. (iii) the number of jewels, if any.

3. (c) Watch cases shall be marked on the inside or outside of the back to show:
        1. (i) the name of the country of manufacture; and
        2. (ii) the name of the manufacturer or purchaser.

4. (d) Clock cases provided for in this chapter shall be marked on the most visible part of the outside of the back to show the name of thecountry of manufacture.

Applies to:

(f) The term "incomplete watch or clock movements, assembled" refers to:
    (I) Mechanical movements which are mounted but lack certain parts other than the dial, hands or winding spindle (e.g., theescapement or the barrel bridge);

1. (ii) Battery powered movements with mechanical displays which are mounted but lack certain parts other than the dial, hands,setting spindle or battery (e.g., the motor); or
    2. (iii) Other movements intended to operate with opto-electronic displays which are mounted but lack certain parts other than thebattery (e.g., the display).

(g) The term "rough watch or clock movements" refers to sets of unassembled parts for the assembly of watch or clock movements ofa kind constructed to work with an escapement. These sets do not include escapement, balance wheel and hairspring or otherregulating device, mainspring, dial or hands; they therefore consist mainly of the base plate (and any additional plates), bridges,train, motion work, winding and setting mechanism and any additional mechanisms such as automatic winding device, calendarmechanisms, chronograph, alarm, etc. These sets may be entered with or without a barrel. Each element, intended for use as itis, may itself consist of one simple piece or of several parts fitted inseparably together, but such elements may not themselves beassembled to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedAG View Post
    I've built a few 2824-based Sub homages. After almost a year and a couple Ginaults, I'd submit the truth is somewhere in the middle....

• The case quality (end links are part of the case) is superior to any Sub homage I've handled. Taken apart, the case "feels" 99% like a 90s Rolex.
    • The bracelet and clasp quality are not quite up to the case quality, but close. As good as the best Sub homage I've handled (save Tudor).
    • Most case parts are interchangeable with the Sub. Movement parts are interchangeable with the 2824-2. This means cheap spare bits and experienced local watchmakers.
    • The movements do not "feel" like Swiss ETA 2824-2s, especially around the keyless and the winding train. But they run like chronometers and are very easy to adjust.

No one will ever be Rolex, have the history, or make those gorgeous dials. That's 90% of Rolex's market $, because it can't be replicated. Hard IMO to think of a more worthy acquisition in our crazy hobby...

The Ginault is an homage in (IMO) a more honest sense: no one will ever mistake its style mashup for a Rolex, but if you appreciate the Jolly Green Giant, lots of details on the Ocean Rover will make you smile.

Currently considering a temporary green bezel swap....

Attachment 12709311

I've no info on the principals or their principles, but would be very surprised if you're disappointed in the actual watch.
    RNHC, whoa and NeedAG like this.

Thread Information