CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN - Page 297
Like Tree30902Likes

Thread: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

Page 297 of 519 FirstFirst ... 197 247 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 347 397 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,970 of 5185

Re: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

Quote Originally Posted by nepatriot View Post
    The original price was much more reasonable, and in line with other homages. I haven't paid much attention to sub homages... what happened to the Squale 1545, the Davosa, or Stienhart? They were around the same price as the Ginault's original price. Maybe those others have gone away?
    I like this far more than any other I’ve seen. The sword hands are preferable to the weirdly proportioned Mercedes hands of the Steinhart for instance.
    rosborn and drwindsurf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperOrbital View Post
    I like this far more than any other I’ve seen. The sword hands are preferable to the weirdly proportioned Mercedes hands of the Steinhart for instance.
    I agree, the Ginault is arguable one of the best homages as far as looks. And after all, isn't that the main proposition when buying a homage? The only strike against it is the cost.

But they can charge what ever the market will bear. As a start up, from a marketing perspective, they seem to have achieved one of most critical steps, using one of the most challenging and dangerous tactics: a large price increase. It's hard because start ups often start low to attract consumers, but what ever you start at, you essentially establish that as the price. Consumers more often than not don't take kindly to the attempt to re-estabish the baseline.

These guys did it by trying to create a perception of a higher base, then discount by 50% to get trial, in return for consumer reviews. While this is a common practice, still, no matter what method you choose, it is always a very challenging move - taking the price increase - to actually pull off. These are the shoals that are littered with the wreckage of start up's. But it seems that some customers have come back to the trough and bought at the new price, and their fierce loyalty is attracting new consumers to pay full price. This is a very positive milestone for their business plan.

I agree, the Ginault is arguable one of the best homages as far as looks. And after all, isn't that the main proposition when buying a homage? The only strike against it is the cost.

But they can charge what ever the market will bear. As a start up, from a marketing perspective, they seem to have achieved one of most critical steps, using one of the most challenging and dangerous tactics: a large price increase. It's hard because start ups often start low to attract consumers, but what ever you start at, you essentially establish that as the price. Consumers more often than not don't take kindly to the attempt to re-estabish the baseline.

These guys did it by trying to create a perception of a higher base, then discount by 50% to get trial, in return for consumer reviews. While this is a common practice, still, no matter what method you choose, it is always a very challenging move - taking the price increase - to actually pull off. These are the shoals that are littered with the wreckage of start up's. But it seems that some customers have come back to the trough and bought at the new price, and their fierce loyalty is attracting new consumers to pay full price. This is a very positive milestone for their business plan.
    I agree. This is the crux of the challenge. I think Ginault has done a smart thing also by introducing a lower price variant of the Ocean Rover (the version I am test driving) with a reduced feature set and a lower price. As they slowly raise their premium product price, they continue to offer an entry level product so people can "buy into" the brand. Some of the currently suffering Swiss luxury brands could take a lesson.

As for the initial marketing strategy of giving a discount for a review, I know it was controversial, but I actually endorsed it. I thought Ginault's publication of the discount for review policy (without requiring any pre-posting approval, or editing oversight, or even requiring the review had to be a positive) was a pretty confident move.

The reality is we are always seeing endorsements by "professionals" on various products, and they don't normally announce the endorsement is part of their business plan. If some watch blog, for instance, trashes a sample watch from some vendor, there is a solid chance the vendor will cross that blogger off their list. If the blogger stops getting sample watches to review, before long their blog traffic goes down, impacting advertising, etc.

I really appreciated seeing the reviews written by "novice" reviewers. Some of the reviews were way more detailed than anything I typically see on the watch blogs, with component disassembly and direct comparisons to authentic 5 digit Rolex Subs or other comparable watches costing multiple times as much (MKii Kingston, Nassau, etc.).

I'm still hoping for a future version with a fully indexed bezel, drilled lugs, and only 2 lines of text as in their lower cost model.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ginault is doing fine. Sure, we are seeing growing pains but nothing that any other young company hasn’t experienced. Heck, TAG Heuer went through a dfective crown tube issue, that they failed to acknowledge for the longest time, and they’ve been around FOREVER. It happens.

I have never had an issue with anything Ginault has done marketing-wise or otherwise. If I had I wouldn’t have purchased an Ocean Rover, new or pre-owned.

I am just impatiently waiting for an original design or an Explorer/Aqua Terra homage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Ginault 180260GSLN (Serial #TE111) and Hamilton Khaki Field mechanical

Quote Originally Posted by cwfmon View Post
    Hi guys

I’ve completed the dual AR coating mod of my ocean rover.

Full pics here:

Ginault Ocean Rover, No Date, BGW9 - dual AR crystal upgrade (pic heavy)
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/ginault-ocean-rover-no-date-bgw9-dual-ar-crystal-upgrade-pic-heavy-4669441.html

That looks awesome!!
    I have been eagerly waiting to see how your 2xAR crystal came out.

Here is mine, just fitted today:

Name:  028CBD82-E09F-43AB-B80B-66F5AD2D96B8.jpeg
Views: 379
Size:  668.5 KBName:  72DC1405-761A-48A5-823E-48DE1AC42DBE.jpeg
Views: 368
Size:  752.7 KB

I used a “B25-295” flat sapphire (for Rolex)with 2xAR. I got this crystal from a UK supplier (which is great for me).

The effect is awesome, at most angles the crystal just isn’t there at all! The raised indices on enamelled dial was a Ginault selling point for me. Now the dial really pops!

Interestingly that’s the original Ocean Rover domed sapphire on a 36mm 369 dialled explorer project of mine and it looks awesome on that!! - but you can see the light reflection in comparison to the new 2x AR crystal.

I will post a review after a bit if wearing it but I love it so far.

edit: this is the BGW9 lume with aftermarket maxi merc hands and drilled lugs. Here are some more photos:

Name:  A6218792-05AD-42D5-80E7-6FB1F702D1AF.jpeg
Views: 338
Size:  657.8 KBName:  B5A17BAC-D4FE-4322-AFB6-976923D640BD.jpeg
Views: 337
Size:  709.3 KB
    Last edited by G4_Chrono; March 27th, 2018 at 18:00. Reason: Added detail + more pics

Quote Originally Posted by Ryeguy View Post
    I really appreciated seeing the reviews written by "novice" reviewers. Some of the reviews were way more detailed than anything I typically see on the watch blogs.
    This is what convinced me to buy one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

The original price was much more reasonable, and in line with other homages. I haven't paid much attention to sub homages... what happened to the Squale 1545, the Davosa, or Stienhart? They were around the same price as the Ginault's original price. Maybe those others have gone away?
    The Squale 20 and 30 Atmos, the Davosa Ternos and the Steinhart are still around and doing well. I own the Squale 20 and 30 Atmos and the Davosa Ternos, and I also own the Ginault. I would have to say that I like my Davosa and Squale better than the Ginault. I got on the bandwagon with all the hype from these threads and I just can't see what the hype is all about. I'm not bashing the Ginault in any way as it is a great, well made watch. To me, in the hand and on the wrist, the Davosa and Squale just feel better and more substantial. This is just my opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree with me about it.
    drwindsurf and TGR50 like this.
    Current Rotation: Ginault Ocean Rover, Davosa Ternos, Squale 20 Atmos, Trident Pro Blue bezel, Trident Pro Green bezel, Trident Pro Black MK3 40mm, Tisell Green bezel/black dial

Quote Originally Posted by drttown View Post
    The Squale 20 and 30 Atmos, the Davosa Ternos and the Steinhart are still around and doing well. I own the Squale 20 and 30 Atmos and the Davosa Ternos, and I also own the Ginault. I would have to say that I like my Davosa and Squale better than the Ginault. I got on the bandwagon with all the hype from these threads and I just can't see what the hype is all about. I'm not bashing the Ginault in any way as it is a great, well made watch. To me, in the hand and on the wrist, the Davosa and Squale just feel better and more substantial. This is just my opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree with me about it.
    Well, I cannot see why people would not be fine with your opinion. All of us have different tastes, expectations and preferences...

It would be awful if Ginault were the world’s #1 preferred watch brand.

Quote Originally Posted by G4_Chrono View Post
    That looks awesome!!

I used a “B25-295” flat sapphire (for Rolex)with 2xAR. I got this crystal from a UK supplier (which is great for me).

The effect is awesome, at most angles the crystal just isn’t there at all! The raised indices on enamelled dial was a Ginault selling point for me. Now the dial really pops!

Interestingly that’s the original Ocean Rover domed sapphire on a 36mm 369 dialled explorer project of mine and it looks awesome on that!! - but you can see the light reflection in comparison to the new 2x AR crystal.

edit: this is the BGW9 lume with aftermarket maxi merc hands and drilled lugs. Here are some more photos:
    Mate, it looks awesome. Congrats!. You probably saved some time and money by going with an aftermarket flat sapphire...so good on you. The side-by-side pic is the very convincing that this mod takes this watch to another level. Such a clean dial needs to be shown off! Rolex does well by using a flat sapphire that gives the ice/bling effect (full reflection) at some angles and very clear at others. The domed sapphire is a great touch by Ginault but it killed beauty of the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by G4_Chrono View Post
    That looks awesome!!

Mate, it looks awesome. Congrats!. You probably saved some time and money by going with an aftermarket flat sapphire...so good on you. The side-by-side pic is the very convincing that this mod takes this watch to another level. Such a clean dial needs to be shown off! Rolex does well by using a flat sapphire that gives the ice/bling effect (full reflection) at some angles and very clear at others. The domed sapphire is a great touch by Ginault but it killed beauty of the dial.

Thread Information