CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN - Page 7
Like Tree29504Likes

Thread: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

Page 7 of 410 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 107 ... LastLast

Re: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

I sold my Rolex Sub because at 40mm is way too small for me. Same situation here, too small.
    Appreciate the effort they took, just wish it was an original design for the efforts. Just save up and buy a Rolex if that is what you really want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
    So called "caustic and sarcastic" attitude is in reaction to Ginault's marketing BS that insults our intelligence.

Ooh, that's kinda creepy. Are you stalking me? Here's an idea. How about you take your own advice? If my posts "stick in your craw then why are you devoting so much time and effort" to respond and comment?
    You're 100% correct. Your vacuous drivel doesn't warrant any further response. Back to the watch, which should be the focus of attention here. Carry on with your petty, bitter day.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Cajun View Post
    I sold my Rolex Sub because at 40mm is way too small for me. Same situation here, too small.
    Appreciate the effort they took, just wish it was an original design for the efforts. Just save up and buy a Rolex if that is what you really want.

I agree on the sizing. I am debating moving my Raven Vintage for the same reason. I also wonder if I just wore a 40mm more and bought fewer at a larger size if I may become more accustomed to the smaller size.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Cajun View Post

.....and if you don't want to save up for a Rolex?
    / Oris 65 Diver 40mm / Tudor Pelagos 25500TN / Eterna 1960 Dress Watch / NTH Barracuda Vintage Black

WPAC Member #01

CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

I don't have a horse in this race but I am always on the lookout for a great sub homage. This caught my eye but I was immediately turned off by the BS dribble (if I were to journey the earth for materials, I would post a photo blog of my journeys from Alaska to Argentina; I would document the stages of meticulous construction; etc.), price (if claims are true, this would be in the thousands of dollars range), text on dial, but mainly the BS dribble (Chinese shock absorber was "chosen" because it's the most recognizable component in the movement indicating its origins). I've been a consumer long enough to know that you can't make a Fiero into a Ferrari ;)

Last edited by Djk949; December 23rd, 2016 at 17:42.
    Hornet99, smille76, RNHC and 6 others like this.
    WIS and Founder of MANCHESTERWATCHWORKS (email: [email protected])

Quote Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
    Carry on with your petty, bitter day.
    You are actually providing quite a bit of entertainment. Thank you for brightening my petty, bitter day.
    Schneeflocke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet99 View Post
    .......fair point, it does look nicely put together, but did they do all of that or subcontract it? Either way I've read enough to agree with you that it's not trivial.

I like homages, in fact I'm perfectly happy with clones like this. I've owned them, enjoyed them and then moved on. I started the other thread because I'd seen the advert and checked it out, go back and read my original post as I was picking up on the pricing and the statement about spending 7 years perfecting the mechanism, which is as it turns out is an ETA clone........

I did also say that I didn't want it to turn in to a witch hunt, so was being pretty fair. Hey, I've even raised their profile a little bit. No commission necessary thank you!

This is a watch forum and a debate on a watch is a legitimate topic here BTW. I don't have to email the company if I don't want to and they've started their own thread to defend their product and have done a poor job in my view.......

Fella, let's agree to disagree on this one. I'd hate this to get all nasty.....
    Fair enough on their lack of response within the thread. I still think someone could put some very pointed and focused questions to them (without attacking the ad campaign, which really has little bearing on the nuts and bolts of the watch beyond ambiguities about the movement, which are justified). A debate on the watch is obviously fair game. Constant whining and picking apart of semantics is shallow and doesn't really get at the watch in any constructive way. Not pointing fingers at you at all.

On the matter of simply buying a Steinhart, I believe it is far too early to tell if they actually make a nicer homage or represent better value (assuming a significant discount off MSRP is in play for the Ginault). I think an Ocean One and this model would have to be compared side-by-side to draw that conclusion and no-one has the Ginault in hand to do that yet. We have several good quality macro photos that to my eye indicate that the Ginault is a more nicely finished watch. Internals TBD fully. I have owned two Steinharts and they were decent watches and solid value. I can't say that either were truly outstanding in terms of build quality, and were obviously homages, but for the money definitely both good buys. For the record, I bought two Hexa Ospreys (sold the black dial) and didn't like their bogus MSRP either. It didn't dissuade me from buying either piece when the price was more realistic. The bottom line is getting a good quality watch at a fair price, and I have no issue with seeing through and past the hyperbole. I can separate the watch from the hot air. How do you think this one may compare to say a Tourby 42 (homage aspect aside)?

Quote Originally Posted by Djk949 View Post
    I don't have a horse in this race but I am always on the lookout for a great sub homage. This caught my eye but I was immediately turned off by the BS dribble (if I were to journey the earth for materials, I would post a photo blog of my journeys from Alaska to Argentina; I would document the stages of meticulous construction; etc.), price (if claims are true, this would be in the thousands of dollars range), text on dial, but mainly the BS dribble. I've been a consumer long enough to know that you can't make a Fiero into a Ferrari ;)

With all due respect, I think a Parnis or Alpha might better represent the Fiero in your equation. The Rolex is the Ferarri and I very much doubt that this company would suggest otherwise.

at 60% Off the $1299 price $520

its not bad

I have owned every Sub homage

whatever
    Tudor 58 Rivet Black Bay
    Seiko SKX007J

Quote Originally Posted by jdmfetish View Post
    at 60% Off the $1299 price $520

its not bad
    Sure but keep in mind that you have to write a paper on "Ginault, how do I love thee" for that 60% discount.

Page 7 of 410 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 107 ... LastLast

Thread Information