CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN - Page 95
Like Tree30950Likes

Thread: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

Page 95 of 522 FirstFirst ... 45 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 145 195 ... LastLast

Re: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

Great article. Docvail always seemed like a reasonable, realistic man when it comes to watches.

As long as it's to spec should be no problem. FWIW, I just had my watchmaker drop a vintage ETA 2871 in a watch designed for a 2824 and it's working just fine. No issues with hand spacing et al. A well-made ETA clone is just that.

*Note I chose the 2871 because it uses the same dial feet and hand size as the 2824. This movement family has been the same size for about 50 years so there are no issues with the movement holder.

Quote Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
    Hopefully if the dimensions are close enough. How much does an ETA movement go for nowadays? A couple of hundred or more? Add labor and we come to at least 3 - 400 bucks total? I guess it comes down to whether it would be worth the inconvenience, time, effort, and money.
    Last edited by pinkybrain; February 7th, 2017 at 18:37.

GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free

Quote Originally Posted by hanshananigan View Post
    According to someone in another thread the case appears designed to accept a Rolex (or Ro1ex) movement as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Shocking!

Not.
    DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

***edit: for some reason my sarcasm detector was off

If true, I'd like some info on which Rolex movement it accepts. I believe Rolex movements attach directly without use of a movement ring. They're also a few mm larger in diameter. And don't forget the different dial feet and hand sizes compared to ETA.
    Last edited by pinkybrain; February 7th, 2017 at 22:06.

hwa

Quote Originally Posted by pinkybrain View Post
    If true, I'd like some info on which Rolex movement it accepts. I believe Rolex movements attach directly without use of a movement ring. They're also a few mm larger in diameter. And don't forget the different dial feet and hand sizes compared to ETA.
    Well, nobody is replacing an eta clone with a gen rolex movement, and keeping the Ginault dial... why do you suppose people sell rolex dials, gen and, erm, otherwise?

If the ginault busts and for whatever reason you cant get it serviced, stick any eta clone in there and youll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
    And tell the world that everything's OK,
    But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
    'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black."

Quote Originally Posted by pinkybrain View Post
    ***edit: for some reason my sarcasm detector was off

The poster remarked on an open case back pic. Said the case had a distinctive ridge or tab that Rolex uses to twist/hold a movement in place. Sorry, don't remeber where: might have been on hwa's thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
    I live in a podunk town (well, metropolitan area) of 6 million. There are only two AD's that I visit and they send out their watches. You are lucky that you have access to magical service guys who can service anything regardless of parts availability. As for your skepticism, I couldn't care less whether you choose to believe or not. Watchmaking is a dying art and there aren't that many trustworthy watchmakers around anywhere, independent or otherwise, period.
    I live in a town half the the size of yours and I have no problem getting any watch worked on locally. I am sure there are watch makers in your town that would and could work on any watch. It's likely you haven't looked hard enough, or at all for a watchmaker that can do that since you may not have a need for it if you do not own a micro brand.
    Hate-on troll. You didn't earn my money. Mind your own business you incredibly smug, supercilious, inverted snob.

hwa

CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

Quote Originally Posted by hanshananigan View Post
    The poster remarked on an open case back pic. Said the case had a distinctive ridge or tab that Rolex uses to twist/hold a movement in place. Sorry, don't remeber where: might have been on hwa's thread.
    I did crack the back, and am told by a knowledgeable source that the movement ring is, shall we say, "distinctive." I believe, utterly without basis apart from Ginault's claim that its an ETA clone, that any 2824-based movement would drop right in. (Miyota 9015 is same ligne, but different stem height, so no to that.) Whether a rolex spec movement would fit without need of the ring, I couldn't say. But, given effort to make a 1:1 "homage," i invite those who know to chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
    And tell the world that everything's OK,
    But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
    'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black."

I very quick search shows a new ETA 2824-2 runs about $225. You'd want to swap the pinion over from the old movement so the hand height would be correct.

i live in a town of about 5,000 and can think of 3 watchmakers off the top of my head who could service this movement and do the movement swap if so desired.
    Stellite and Avo like this.

I've bought about five in the last year. I'm paying $185 for top grade. There are several watchmakers/repair companies that you can just send to if needed.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
    Stellite and Avo like this.

Madness does not always howl. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

Thread Information