CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN - Page 97
Like Tree30851Likes

Thread: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

Page 97 of 518 FirstFirst ... 47 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 147 197 ... LastLast
Results 961 to 970 of 5173
  1. #961
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,563

    Re: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

    Quote Originally Posted by hwa View Post
    Boom. Nailed it! There you go. If it's replaceable by any old $90 clone, it's not worth the $1300 ask, even if it's worth the $580 discount or whatever they're discounting for these days.
    You are going to confuse and confound people if you use logic.

  2. #962
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,563

    Re: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

    Quote Originally Posted by Astropin View Post
    They may have signed a contract restricting what they can replace a damaged movement with and also not allowing work on "cloned" movements. If they want to keep their job they follow their contract. An independent would probably do whatever you're willing to pay for (with caveats).
    That may be true for ADs but I was referring to independent watchmakers when I said watchmakers refuse to touch Chinese clones.

  3. #963
    Member Radar1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    8,705

    Re: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

    And an ETA can be had for less than $200. So the difference in (speculated) value on movement alone would be around $100. And that assumes the valuation of the Ginault movement is only $90. Difficult to quantify it being valued comparably to a mass-produced 9015. An argument that also completely disregards the balance of the watch and finishing. Besides, individuals with good knowledge of ETA clones have alreadu stated that it does not look Chinese in origin.

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Radar1; February 9th, 2017 at 04:21.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #964
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,563

    Re: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryeguy View Post
    An independent watchmaker who can service a 2824-2 can service the Ginault 2824-2. Assembly and disassembly is the same. Oiling is the same. Cleaning is the same. Springs are the same. There is nothing new or unique to the movement that would cause a watchmaker any difficulty from what I can see.
    Seems you just undermined Ginault claimed "specialness" with its specially developed copper alloy and all.

  6. #965
    Member Stellite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    7,002

    Re: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

    Quote Originally Posted by hwa View Post
    Boom. Nailed it! There you go. If it's replaceable by any old $90 clone, it's not worth the $1300 ask, even if it's worth the $580 discount or whatever they're discounting for these days.

    Disagree, so Boom, didn't nail it. Absolutely the most illogical theory. Basically, I could push that argument one step further and say that no microbrand is worth it because none of them have provenance, and to include your aether or your nth naken. They have as much provenance as nothing. So, you might as well throw both of those away.

    I love the hypocrisy of those that have their totally unknown brands but try to denigrate another unknown brand. lol.

    I bet you can sell your ginault faster than the other two you have there.
    Hate-on troll. You didn't earn my money. Mind your own business you incredibly smug, supercilious, inverted snob.

  7. #966
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,563

    Re: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

    Quote Originally Posted by Stellite View Post
    Disagree, so Boom, didn't nail it. Absolutely the most illogical theory. Basically, I could push that argument one step further and say that no microbrand is worth it because none of them have provenance, and to include your aether or your nth naken. They have as much provenance as nothing. So, you might as well throw both of those away.

    I love the hypocrisy of those that have their totally unknown brands but try to denigrate another unknown brand. lol.

    I bet you can sell your ginault faster than the other two you have there.
    What do you mean provenance? If one equates "provenance" with track record or reputation of the builder, NTH Nacken has it all over Ginault and their preposterous claims, suspect origins, and uncommunicative management that doesn't answer any questions in its own thread that was started by them! I will give you Aether though. I've never heard of them.

    P.s. Just looked up Aether. I don't know who Benzinger guy is but it's a German microbrand with classic retro looking watches. Uses genuine ETA movement with nice decorations. Not my cup of tea but not too shabby at all.
    Last edited by RNHC; February 9th, 2017 at 04:49.

  8. #967
    Member Stellite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    7,002

    Re: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

    Quote Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
    What do you mean provenance? If one equates "provenance" with track record or reputation of the builder, Nth Naken has it all over Ginault and their preposterous claims, suspect origins, and uncommunicative management that doesn't answer any questions in its own thread that was started by them! I will give you Aether though. I've never heard of them.

    Just remember we WIS are a microcosm. We are not the real world. I can guarantee you that no one outside of us knows nth. Not even AD's know it. Guaranteed. I can go to Hyde park tomorrow and ask them and they will say "who?" Betteridge will as well and even right time who has micro's will not know it. To me NTH has nothing over Ginault. In fact, I am betting that it will be the other way around in a year. But I guess time will tell.
    Hate-on troll. You didn't earn my money. Mind your own business you incredibly smug, supercilious, inverted snob.

  9. #968
    Avo
    Avo is offline
    Member Avo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    1,264

    Re: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

    Quote Originally Posted by hwa View Post
    If it's replaceable by any old $90 clone
    Any 2824, even a top-grade COSC one, is "replaceable by any old $90 clone" in the sense that you can put one in the case and fit the hands.

    Meanwhile, there is zero evidence that ETA replacements parts couldn't be used in the Ginault movement. Zero, zip, nada, none.

    This is an absolute non-issue, IMO.
    Sharper Image moonphase, Ronda 708 quartz (my only watch for 20+ years)
    Citizen BM8242-08E Ecodrive, black dial, gold-tone case
    Citizen AP1042-03A Ecodrive moonphase, white dial, gold-tone case
    Sartego Ocean Master SPA27, yellow dial, Miyota 8215
    Christopher Ward C5 Aviator Mark I, black dial, ETA 2824
    Chinese Mechanical Forum 2011 project watch, moonphase, Sea-Gull ST25
    Casio G-Shock AWGM100B-1A, analog solar atomic
    Kadloo Scubamarine, black dial, ETA 2824
    Aevig Huldra, orange dial, Miyota 9015
    Makara Hawksbill Sea Turtle, bronze case, maroon dial, Seiko NH35
    Ginault Ocean Rover, black dial, Ginault 7275
    Boldr Odyssey, white dial, Seiko NH35
    Borealis Portus Cale, white dial, Miyota 9015
    Hamtun Neon, full-lume dial, STP 1-11
    Vratislavia Conceptum Pan-Africa, green dial, Miyota 9015
    Vostoc Classica, white dial, Vostoc 2409.01
    Grails: RGM 801-PS-CE, GO PanoMaticLunar, ALS 1815 moonphase LE


  10. #969
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    952

    Re: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

    I see the usual suspects are back once again bashing this watch and company.
    Radar1 likes this.

  11. #970
    hwa
    hwa is offline
    Member hwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    7,326

    Re: CLASSIC SUBMARINER LOVERS - GINAULT OCEAN-ROVER 181070GSLN

    Quote Originally Posted by Stellite View Post
    Disagree, so Boom, didn't nail it. Absolutely the most illogical theory. Basically, I could push that argument one step further and say that no microbrand is worth it because none of them have provenance, and to include your aether or your nth naken. They have as much provenance as nothing. So, you might as well throw both of those away.

    I love the hypocrisy of those that have their totally unknown brands but try to denigrate another unknown brand. lol.

    I bet you can sell your ginault faster than the other two you have there.
    I don't even know what you're saying, but that makes two of us. Aether is a US company that tried to make a go of assembling german cases, swiss movements, and dials they designed and had built I don't know where. They don't claim any special provenance, and for what it's worth (that being substantially less than I paid early in my foray into this money pit), most folks won't pay a penny for hand-wind mechanical movements.

    But what's your point? That Ginault, at an MSRP of 1300 is better quality or value than an NTH at an MSRP of 600? That's so dim that it's not worth switching on that light. I mean, seriously, duh.

    Take comfort in your copy; the Aether is at least a beautifully rendered small-seconds dial, and the NTH actually offers design points of its own. The Ginault offers very good quality with zero design points. For that reason, it's effin' boring. I bought it to see what the movement was about, and while you sycophants keep on sycophanting, Ginault remains flat silent, other than to repeat its occasional promise of pulling back the drapes. Take another hit, kiddo, and let me know when the smoke clears. Yeah, some of us keep saying the Emperor is wearing no clothes, but only because this echo chamber keeps getting filled with nonsense.
    "Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
    And tell the world that everything's OK,
    But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
    'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 7 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 6 guests)

  1. 59er

Similar Threads

  1. Ginault Ocean Rover?
    By Hornet99 in forum Affordable watches
    Replies: 170
    Last Post: March 17th, 2019, 22:26
  2. FS: Ginault Base Module 1 - Best Submariner Homage RARE
    By cradams in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 1st, 2015, 16:37
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 16th, 2014, 17:02
  4. $450 GINAULT BASE MODULE 1 BEST ROLEX SUBMARINER HOMAGE WATCH LIKE NEW
    By usbzoso in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 4th, 2014, 04:19
  5. WTB Ginault Sterile Submariner
    By usbzoso in forum WTB - Wanted to Buy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 21st, 2010, 06:58

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •