Dive watch advice
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Dive watch advice

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Dive watch advice

Ok, so I want to get real serious with diving and I'm looking for a watch. Talked to others online, to a few friends who have or had watches before, established a budget for myself, and started to do a bit more digging online to see what I like. I found this model https://popular.reviews/dive-compute...Research_Teric and I'm really pleased with it overall, but I'd like to know if any of you have or have every had it and can tell me if it's worth the money. It's pretty expensive, I don't want to end up buying something I'll only use for a month or two and then fails me. Thanks in advance
    E8ArmyDiver likes this.

Re: Dive watch advice

Have a look at Scurfa watches in the UK - professional divers at a very reasonable price. 500 meter depth rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gaopa, Shockwave and TgeekB like this.

You linked to some dive computers, not watches. The Teric is a standout dive computer, arguably the best available. The Teric has a very workable watch function but its not really a watch as such.

A dive watch is another issue. I tend to favour Seikos for their pedigree, adherence to core functionality, and price. I'd recomend an SRP775 Turtle or similar as a decent starting point.

Have fun diving
    beanerds likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes , I was going to mention a Seiko Turtle as well , you won't get a better ' Real ISO certified ' Diver for the money .
    I really love my PADI .

Beanerds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dive tool watches see:

ISO 6425 – Divers' watches international standard. German Industrial Norm DIN 8306 is an equivalent standard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Resistant_mark

First lets get something straight.There is NO such thing as an ISO 6425 "CERTIFICATION"..ISO 6425 is a set of Standards.A company can choose to follow these standards & if they do may note this on the watch simply as "Diver",much like Seiko does.These standards were put forth when the dive watch industry was new & because of the life risking factor of diving was needed to insure a proper working tool(watch).Most all dive watches available today are made under strict manufacturing guidelines & IMO the 6425 card is a mute point in today's age.
    As stated,you linked to a wrist worn Dive Computer with watch functions.In all my years of diving I much preferred an Air Integrated Dive Computer Console that included a compass.Your going to need a PSI gauge anyway,why clutter things up by having to split attention between wrist information & the AIC,it will also extend dive time as it factors breathing rate & tissue loading based on the dive profile up to that minute..I found a wrist worn was more difficult to keep orientation with the eyes as you move forward during navigation,where as the console hose is just long enough to keep lower & slightly farther forward than a wrist mount,making navigation easier.My advice.A top gun,Air Integrated Computer console with compass like the Oceanic Pro Plus X, & a back up Analog Dive watch,more for the tiki bar but there if needed..Good luck,enjoy the underwater world & welcome to WUS..
    PS:Don't waste $ on a New Seiko anything.They are overpriced & wayyy cheaper used.Try watchrecon.com...Also look at Nato straps for use when actually diving.The design makes sure if a spring bar fails you will not lose your watch!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by E8ArmyDiver; 1 Day Ago at 15:43.
    Cobia, hugof3C and Papichulo like this.
    Current(Automatic):
    Fortis "Mars 500 Chronograph",1 of 500...
    Squale"30Atmos GMT"Alpine Green,1 of 200...
    Damasko "DSub1"...
    Zodiac"Super Seawolf"Creamsicle...
    Deep Blue "Daynight Diver"Sunray Blue/Blue Ceramic,T100GTLS...
    Future additions:
    Undone custom"PVD/Old Radium No Date"Diver...
    Squale"101 Atmos"PVD/Yellow...
    GRAIL:2020 Omega Seamaster "Bond 007 Edition"...

Your are right!

Most divers use a diving computer.

But as a backup i would chose a dive watch that ist iso/din , tested,certified and not a Dress DIVER!

or a G-Shock Frogman

Quote Originally Posted by E8ArmyDiver View Post
    ...you linked to a wrist worn Dive Computer with watch functions.In all my years of diving I much preferred an Air Integrated Dive Computer Console that included a compass.Your going to need a PSI gauge anyway,why clutter things up by having to split attention between wrist information & the AIC,it will also extend dive time as it factors breathing rate & tissue loading based on the dive profile up to that minute...
    A console computer!

That's a blast from the past - I didn't even realise they still made them

Quote Originally Posted by Leopan View Post
    Your are right!

Most divers use a diving computer.

But as a backup i would chose a dive watch that ist iso/din , tested,certified and not a Dress DIVER!

or a G-Shock Frogman
    There is NO SUCH THING as an ISO "Certified"watch...From ISO website "ISO doesn’t provide certification or conformity assessment"... From a Hodinkies article-
    "ISO, on its own site, states that it does not perform certifications. They develop standards by which all watches must be tested. If a watch claims to be certified by ISO, it's just not true."....
    Current(Automatic):
    Fortis "Mars 500 Chronograph",1 of 500...
    Squale"30Atmos GMT"Alpine Green,1 of 200...
    Damasko "DSub1"...
    Zodiac"Super Seawolf"Creamsicle...
    Deep Blue "Daynight Diver"Sunray Blue/Blue Ceramic,T100GTLS...
    Future additions:
    Undone custom"PVD/Old Radium No Date"Diver...
    Squale"101 Atmos"PVD/Yellow...
    GRAIL:2020 Omega Seamaster "Bond 007 Edition"...

Quote Originally Posted by E8ArmyDiver View Post
    There is NO SUCH THING as an ISO "Certified"watch...From ISO website "ISO doesn’t provide certification or conformity assessment"... From a Hodinkies article-
    "ISO, on its own site, states that it does not perform certifications. They develop standards by which all watches must be tested. If a watch claims to be certified by ISO, it's just not true."....
    Watches carrying the 'Divers' mark on the dial are claiming compliance. Watches certainly can be ISO compliant.

From Hodinkee:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information