Dive Watch Maintenance thread? is there one?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Dive Watch Maintenance thread? is there one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dive Watch Maintenance thread? is there one?

As per the title ( and yes, I did use the search function and also perused the Stickies, Reference section, Main Forum, Watchmaking and other Sub forums ) ...is there a Dive Watch Maintenance thread?

I dislike reinventing the wheel just as much as the next Neanderthal so I'm hoping some of you more astute and experienced on here might point me in that direction..

Specifically, I'm wondering about what professionally employed or hobbyist SCUBA divers do for their watches.

And even more particular what is done for the spring bars?

I get the regular stuff -

• ensure the crown is screwed down

• inspect the watch and strap or bracelet before and after immersion in water

• rinse in freshwater after submersion in saltwater

• scrub the gunk off

• run the bracelets and straps through an ultrasonic cleaner on an as needed basis

• grease ( silicone ) the stem and case back gaskets as needed

• replace the stem and case back gaskets as needed

• replace the worn parts and scratched crystal as needed

• perhaps schedule the maintenance on a calendar like semi-annual or as needed

• perhaps include a visit with a trusted watchmaker/jeweler annually or as needed

oh GREAT! - i just made a dive watch maintenance thread....

Sooo.....what is done for the spring bars? Switch out all of them to stainless? Replace as needed? Is there a practice among divers ( like toothpaste in the face mask? ) to prep spring bars for saltwater immersion?

I just started on my 2020 watch maintenance routine and found a rusty spring bar in a clasp. A cheap, non stainless one. Out it goes, in goes stainless. But stainless also rusts in saltwater.

Can spring bars be soaked in light oil or greased with Yamaha blue marine lube?

My watches get wet very often in salt and fresh water - but not from SCUBA diving.

Looking for some ideas of what you Divers do before and after water immersion.

Any and all tips, tricks, ideas and common sense stuff I've overlooked...even voodoo if you find it effective.

TIA - Steve

PS - I had another search idea and mr. Google sent me back here...under the Steinhart Sub Forum. Of Course! why didn't I search Steinhart, first....wait...I don't own one. Shame on me.lol!

Gotta thread to read now. https://forums.watchuseek.com/f275/r...s-3169170.html

Re: Dive Watch Maintenance thread? is there one?

Aren’t all springbars nowadays made of stainless? I have never once did anything for my springbars and I have enjoyed all of my watches in the ocean, the pool, the shower etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve0 likes this.
    All the best,

-Jimi

You've mentioned a lot of good maintenance tips in the OP. I'm not a pro diver but I change my spring bars every couple or so years. Good spring bars are inexpensive and changing them out regularly is not a bad thing, saltwater or no water. I am always suspicious of such tiny springs lasting long on anything that requires them.
    Steve0 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You seem to have all the bases well covered. Re the springbars - in a past life I’ve used the same ones for years on end and believe me they were really tatty (shudder). Fitting new good quality ones every few years may be slight overkill but springbars are hardly expensive.
    Steve0 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ctlawyer View Post
    Aren’t all springbars nowadays made of stainless? I have never once did anything for my springbars and I have enjoyed all of my watches in the ocean, the pool, the shower etc.

I'm not so sure they ALL are made of stainless steel. This pic shows one that isn't and another is suspect. Forgot to do the magnet test and only have neodymiums on hand which do stick to stainless.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    You seem to have all the bases well covered. Re the springbars - in a past life I’ve used the same ones for years on end and believe me they were really tatty (shudder). Fitting new good quality ones every few years may be slight overkill but springbars are hardly expensive.

I know, right?

I'm guilty of the same thing...."if it ain't broken, don't fix it til it is".

But when I did the most recent micro adjustment on this particular bracelet, the spring bar I depressed did not move easily and felt "crunchy" aka rusty.

So I'm still hoping some Ocean SCUBA diver(s) may chime in and share the magic tip for prepping spring bars - soak them in light oil, grease them or...?

Of course the simple answer is start with all stainless spring bars ( which still may have carbon steel springs inside ) and just replace them as needed....and stop overthinking it, Steve.

Just like anything else, they need occasional maintenance if used regularly, IMHO.

Toothbrush and warm soapy water with a bit of denatured alcohol works well for me.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Spring bars are cheap enough for a yearly change out on a watch that will see rough conditions and salt water.
    Steve0 likes this.

Change the oil every 5,000 miles and rotate the tires. Wait a minute, wrong forum... 😉.
    Steve0 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve0 View Post
    I'm not so sure they ALL are made of stainless steel. This pic shows one that isn't and another is suspect. Forgot to do the magnet test and only have neodymiums on hand which do stick to stainless.
    Guess I’ve just been lucky and all my springbars have been stainless. Most of my watches (the ones that see water) are divers. Perhaps the manufacturers of divers intentionally use stainless?

Steve0 likes this.
    All the best,

-Jimi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information