Draken Tugela 2.0 quick write-up
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Draken Tugela 2.0 quick write-up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Draken Tugela 2.0 quick write-up

Saw a couple posts from 2017 when the first Draken Tugela came out but none for the 2.0 yet so thought I'd do a short review. Improvements over the 1.0 version include: a bracelet!, 10 layers of X1 C3 lume, bolder seconds markers, brighter orange highlights, better bezel action, lume bezel markers, longer crown and lume crown logo. Draken is out of Auckland New Zealand.

Excellent soft leather box case which includes 2 year warranty card, booklet, matching blue nato, some quick release pins and a patch.
    Name:  IMG_0266.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  423.0 KB

I was in the market for a lighter blue diver so I choose the "Super Blue LE" over the other available colors. Fun, vibrant color, a welcome addition to my predominantly dark dial collection.
    Name:  IMG_0262(2).jpg
Views: 90
Size:  217.2 KBName:  IMG_0263(1).jpg
Views: 100
Size:  255.7 KBName:  IMG_0264(2).jpg
Views: 91
Size:  210.2 KBName:  IMG_0265(2).jpg
Views: 90
Size:  313.8 KB

It wears great and this is another instance (recent 42mm Aevig Huldra acquisition) of me realizing that 42mm watches look great on my 7.25" wrist and that I'm getting that nagging voice in my head that some of my 40mm's are looking a little small on me. Some people might even say that this 42mm is too small on me lol.
    Name:  IMG_0267.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  211.4 KB

Bead blasted case and bracelet, which was another selling point with me. Sometimes I don't want shine or polish. Bracelet is solid, 4mm thick, 22mm lugs. Solid end links, engraved clasp. Grippy, easy to use crown. Interesting how the case and bezel slopes out from the caseback. 120 click bezel.
    Name:  IMG_0256.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  304.7 KBName:  IMG_0257.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  325.6 KBName:  IMG_0258(1).jpg
Views: 86
Size:  231.5 KBName:  IMG_0259(1).jpg
Views: 93
Size:  248.2 KBName:  IMG_0260(1).jpg
Size:  205.2 KB

Lume is quite nice indeed.
    Name:  IMG_0246.jpg
Size:  227.5 KBName:  IMG_0254.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  234.0 KB

NH35A movt, sapphire crystal, 300m WR, 42mm case, 48.5 lug to lug. Mike, the owner, told me each Draken case is water pressure tested to 300m before assembly, then again at 100m after assembly. Movements are checked for accuracy in 3 positions. All in all, a nice, affordable diver ($349) with some unique design elements. Very pleased! Cheers
    Ferg

Re: Draken Tugela 2.0 quick write-up

Looks nice! Congrats! Thanks for sharing something new! I'm so tired of round indices, and I have more watches with them than without. Interesting brand trying to stretch out a bit. Good specs for the price. The 42mm looks fine on you. Although you feel 40mm might b feeling small to you, they're nice when the mood strikes.
    Are the bracelet links screw links?

Enjoy your cool new watch!
    RD
    Fergfour likes this.
    "Yeah, it's basically a block of steel with a movement inside. Part of the charm." daschlag

Quote Originally Posted by Riddim Driven View Post
    Looks nice! Congrats! Thanks for sharing something new! I'm so tired of round indices, and I have more watches with them than without. Interesting brand trying to stretch out a bit. Good specs for the price. The 42mm looks fine on you. Although you feel 40mm might b feeling small to you, they're nice when the mood strikes.
    Are the bracelet links screw links?

Enjoy your cool new watch!
    RD
    Thanks, fun to try something fresh once in a while. The bracelet uses pins not screws. Also forgot to mention, the watch is about 13.5mm thick including crystal.
    Seems the founder hails from South Africa and he drew upon that in the design. "Draken" comes from Drakensberg also known as the Great Escarpment. Drakensberg can be translated as "Mountain of Dragons" which explains the logo. Tugela is a waterfall/river in the Drakensberg. I wasn't sure what the caseback depicted but I saw from the old kickstarter campaign that it's a view of part of the mountains and river. The indices are inspired by the beadwork of the Zulu people from the same area.
    Riddim Driven likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great looking watch, seems bead blasted cases aren’t quite as common and I do like the understated look.
    Fergfour likes this.

Thanks for the review, I have been looking at this one in black dial, great price and seems its a really solid watch. May need to pick one up one day. Enjoy and wear it in good health.

Regards,

Ren

Remembering still how the bright blue eagles fly.

And I thought it was 40mm. 42mm looks great on your wrist. Thanks for sharing
    Officine Panerai Luminor Submersible PAM00682, Baume et Mercier Baumatic Chronometer blue dial, Blancpain Fifty Fathoms 38mm blue dial,Rolex Oyster Perpetual Sub,Rolex Yachtmaster 116622,Omega SMP blue, NOMOS Timeless Club II,Ulysse Nardin Marine Diver,JLC Polaris no date,Damasko DA34, Seiko SRPC41J JDM, Seiko SARB17 Alpinist, Seiko Samurai,Steinhart GMT Ocean 39, Squale 1545 Heritage,Halios Seaforth, Zelos Mako II,Hamilton Khaki King&Navy Scuba, Mido Ocean Star V, Akrone K-02,Raymond Weil Sinatra LE,etc

Quote Originally Posted by 2500M_Sub View Post
    Thanks for the review, I have been looking at this one in black dial, great price and seems its a really solid watch. May need to pick one up one day. Enjoy and wear it in good health.
    Regards,
    Ren
    I was seriously considering the black myself.

Name:  Tugela-on-wrist.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  448.6 KB

Part of the reason I went with the blue, beside the fact I have a lot of black watches, is that it's limited to 120 pieces so I figured get one while they last.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  157.7 KB
    Last edited by Fergfour; February 7th, 2020 at 16:27.

Congrats on your Draken Tugela diver. And thanks for taking the time to provide a quick overview of your Draken diver along with the pics - it is a sharp looking diver. Especially with its bead blasted case and bracelet. And, it sounds that Mike, the owner, takes a lot of pride in assembling his watches. Enjoy your new diver.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Hager626 View Post
    Congrats on your Draken Tugela diver. And thanks for taking the time to provide a quick overview of your Draken diver along with the pics - it is a sharp looking diver. Especially with its bead blasted case and bracelet. And, it sounds that Mike, the owner, takes a lot of pride in assembling his watches. Enjoy your new diver.
    Thanks NC I am enjoying it! Agree with your comment on the bead blasted finish. I have a couple bead blasted German watches too and love the look and feel. Not a ton of bead blasted divers out there. Scuro and Squale I know of. I guess there's the "risk" of getting a scratch and not being able to brush it out but not too worried.
    NC_Hager626 likes this.

COZ

Thanks for quick review. I was looking at these a while back myself, different indices than the standard round shape looked unique. The thickness was a concern for me as I am gravitating to thinner cases these days. As I would wear this on a rubber strap, any idea of the head weight?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information