To grease or not to grease?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By FOOGauzie
  • 2 Post By Force434

Thread: To grease or not to grease?

To grease or not to grease?

Hi all,

I just picked up a 6309-7049 the other day with unknown service history and I am currently sourcing replacement gaskets for the caseback, crystal, and crown. I realize that the silicone helps the gaskets waterproofing properties, but just how important is it?

I also own a modern skx diver and I have never noticed any grease on the caseback gasket before, however I have taken it in water several times with no issues.

I doubt I would ever have the watch pressure tested or down to any great depths, but I would like some peace of mind should I decide to take it in the ocean with me.

Thanks for your input!

Banned

Re: To grease or not to grease?

The silicone does more to keep the oring from binding as the case back is tightened.

Quote Originally Posted by rich.02h View Post
    Hi all,

I just picked up a 6309-7049 the other day with unknown service history and I am currently sourcing replacement gaskets for the caseback, crystal, and crown. I realize that the silicone helps the gaskets waterproofing properties, but just how important is it?

I also own a modern skx diver and I have never noticed any grease on the caseback gasket before, however I have taken it in water several times with no issues.

I doubt I would ever have the watch pressure tested or down to any great depths, but I would like some peace of mind should I decide to take it in the ocean with me.

Thanks for your input!

The water sealant silicone is definitely beneficial...but, whatever you do, as I notice you're mentioning a 6309...do NOT grease the L-Gasket for the crystal. :)
    Hoppyjr likes this.
    Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lexvil View Post
    The silicone does more to keep the oring from binding as the case back is tightened.
    I think that is the primary reason for the lubricant, as the gaskets are easy to twist and get pinched.

I doubt that the lubricant has great WR properties but it will certainly help when the back is tightened.

Quote Originally Posted by rich.02h View Post

[...]and I have never noticed any grease on the caseback gasket before, however I have taken it in water several times with no issues.
    As some others have stated already, the grease itself is not a sealant, it's a lubricant. The seal is formed by proper compression of the o-ring and its deformation inside the o-ring groove. A *thin* coating of grease helps the o-ring slide and shift into the grove without damage during tightening of the caseback. As such, you shouldn't notice the grease per se. It should be lightly applied only to the o-ring (I typically do this by rolling the o-ring lightly between my fingers with a small amount of grease--watch for lint or hair, though). Extra grease does not help the seal at all, and in fact can be detrimental if it fills the o-ring grove. A little goes a long way, but it is important.
    Hoppyjr and richnyc like this.

Current Collection:

Oris - Aquis Titan (Black), Col Moschin LE
    Helberg
    - CH6 (Blue/Bronze) SAS - Air
    Sinn ​- UX (EZM 2B) Halios - Laguna (Black), Puck (DLC/Blue) Seiko - OM

I use the same silicone lubricant on the crown threads when they need it: a quick cleaning with an old toothbrush and a tiny bit of lube spread onto the threads and the crown screws down like buttah.

Thread Information