Hair/Particle under crystal on watch?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Hair/Particle under crystal on watch?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hair/Particle under crystal on watch?

Hey guys I just got a Squale 1545 I ordered a little while ago after inquiring here for advice on my purchase (Thanks btw!). So far I'm loving the watch but today I noticed that there seems to be like a hair or some other kind of particle under the crystal. It hasn't moved around at all since I noticed it this morning, is this something I should be concerned about? It kinda bugs me too but I could live with it so long as it doesn't harm the watch, I know automatics need to be serviced every 5 years or so, so maybe I could just bring it up to the repair guy at that time since the watch will be getting opened anyway I assume. I really don't feel like sending it back to Gnomon and paying for shipping and waiting for a refund/ new watch and I've already gotten it sized so I don't think it is eligible for return. What should I do?

Ard

Re: Hair/Particle under crystal on watch?

I'd call the seller. If you have noticed it you will now notice it every time you look at the watch, it'll bug you until it's gone.
    pw01 and solar g-shocker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    I'd call the seller. If you have noticed it you will now notice it every time you look at the watch, it'll bug you until it's gone.
    Is there any risk in having the watch opened and repaired? Also I can really get over it bugging me for a long time as long as the watch is safe lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You can choose whether to have the item removed under warranty or wait until service time and have it removed then. It’s a steel watch so the likelihood of it winning any scars when the back is taken off are slim indeed. If you’re at all concerned then take plenty of photos.
    Papichulo and Ginseng108 like this.

I’d have them replace the watch, that would keep me from enjoying it
    solar g-shocker likes this.
    Armida A2 500m (Miyota 9015, full minute track)
    Seiko 7N36-7A08
    Tag Heuer 1500 Professional WD1223-G-20 (FSOT)
    Armida A7 Steel 300m (orange minute hand/date window)
    Seiko SRP773​k2
    Tisell Marine Diver (green bezel, black dial, no date)​
    Tisell Marine Diver (black bezel, black dial, no date)

There are only a handful of retailers you probably purchased the Squale from and I am confident each one of them will not give you a problem. Take a photo and email it to them and follow up shortly thereafter with a call. Good luck.
    Bertucci
    Caravelle
    CWC
    M
    emphis Belle
    Precista
    Scurfa
    S
    quale

DEFENSOR FORTIS ~ You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life. Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Papichulo View Post
    There are only a handful of retailers you probably purchased the Squale from and I am confident each one of them will not give you a problem. Take a photo and email it to them and follow up shortly thereafter with a call. Good luck.
    Yeah Gnomon has been helpful although they aren't willing to give me a new watch. They told me they would pay shipping to have it sent to them and repaired (especially with COVID19 and delays that could cause), I just really don't want to wait for that whole process. Can I just ignore it and still use my Diver like normal everyday until I get it serviced by a trusted friend back home? I'm out of town right now and won't be back home for a couple of months.

post a pic mate..
    Dave
    solar g-shocker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Krontimus View Post
    Yeah Gnomon has been helpful although they aren't willing to give me a new watch. They told me they would pay shipping to have it sent to them and repaired (especially with COVID19 and delays that could cause), I just really don't want to wait for that whole process. Can I just ignore it and still use my Diver like normal everyday until I get it serviced by a trusted friend back home? I'm out of town right now and won't be back home for a couple of months.
    I've purchased several watches from Gnomon. That said, I haven't really had any problems with them in any way. I would not expect them to send me a new watch for this issue. I would expect them to take it in, service it, and then return it to me postage paid. As for whether you can "wear it and forget it" for a day or a month, well, that depends entirely on you. It is possible, of course it is.

That foreign matter on the dial made it out of the factory is a lapse in QC. However, it is minor cosmetic in nature and not an issue with the mechanism or any other aspect of the fundamental functioning of the watch that would require work on the movement. This is why I think Gnomon are justified in offering service but not replacement. I feel one must maintain some sense of perspective. When we achieve this, we're more capable of enjoying this watch and watches as a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Krontimus View Post
    I understand and trust Gnomon to make it better. It is not a mechanical issue; nonetheless, unless it was a glaringly large hair/spec I understand how it may have slipped through the cracks. I would just send it in and wait. You probably have multiple watches... Good luck and keep us posted.
    Bertucci
    Caravelle
    CWC
    M
    emphis Belle
    Precista
    Scurfa
    S
    quale

DEFENSOR FORTIS ~ You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life. Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information