How well did Ocean7 do with the LM7?

Thread: How well did Ocean7 do with the LM7?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How well did Ocean7 do with the LM7?

Nobody has raised it, but I think there's certainly a huge wow factor with Omega's new proplof (I'm not talking about the price!). It looks a very smart and classy updated version of the original.
    I think Ocean 7 did well in recreating the proplof before Omega did....the sapphire bezel and fantastic certainly makes it stand out. I don't own a LM7 but I have considered it since Omega lauched theirs (as I'll never be able to afford one).

What does everyone else think in this topic?
    Watch list:

Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50
    , Tudor Black Bay Black Bezel eta, Tudor Pelagos LHD, Rolex Sea Dweller 16600

Re: How well did Ocean7 do with the LM7?

there's no question the omega is nicer...plus it has a co-ax movememt.

Is it twice as nice as the LM7?? I think so.

Is it three times as nice?? umm, ok..maybeee

Is it four times as nice??? not too sure about that

Yet the Omega is 6 times the price of the LM7 making the price ratio a little out of whack and IMHO not worth the money. If you like the style then the LM7 is a smart buy for the price. Many companies sell watches with generic off the self case styles for more than the totally custom LM7.

Just my .02

"The watch is a confidence trick invented by the swiss, the disciplined mind has no need of one"

So far they've sold every LM-7 that they were able to make in about 2 to 3 days... regardless of some criticism that they received on the forum...

This is quite telling by itself no?
    "Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" - Rocky Balboa, Rocky II, 1979

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ok, here's my thoughts on this "conundrum".

One is a homage to an iconic watch, no more no less. The other, a product of the company that made the original icon, one that builds on the original design, but improved, with updated styling and materials, and fitted with an all new in-house movement featuring the biggest advance in traditional mechanical watch making in over 150 years.

Whether its worth $9000 is up to the potential buyer.

Trying to compare a homage watch with an state-of-the-art OEM piece...please.
    Last edited by Fatpants; March 31st, 2009 at 18:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatpants View Post

One is a homage to an iconic watch, no more no less. The other, a product of the company that made the original icon, one that builds on the original design, but improved, with updated styling and materials, and fitted with an all new in-house movement featuring the biggest advance in traditional mechanical watch making in over 150 years.

while I can't argue with your points does anyone really feel the modern incarnation of omega watches is the same company as the one that produced the original ploprof? Essentially I feel both Ocean7 and Omega 2009 are doing the same thing, making an homage watch of a company that no longer exists.

"The watch is a confidence trick invented by the swiss, the disciplined mind has no need of one"

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fatpants View Post

Are you in Omega's marketing department?

"featuring the biggest advance in traditional mechanical watch making in over 150 years"

Geez! That is a little over the top for what the co-axial escapement is! I could buy this statement on Seiko's Spring Drive but it is quite over stating things for this movement. Don't get me wrong I love these movements but I would never use words like this to describe it.

The same goes for " state of the art". While it is a nice piece this is more of a big gulp size of Omega Kool Aid to me. There is really nothing there that treads any new ground that other watches have not done already.

To me this is a flash from someone who is late to the re-issue table.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Sunster, if you're tlaking about pure looks, I think both companies did a bang up job.

I don't know about the internal comparisons, etc., but price wise its alot more realistic for me to own the O7 version, and thats an important factor I think for any collectors on a budget.

Now, would I mug someone for the new Omega, thats a different story...

I'll be right behind you !

I agree overall O7 I think did a good job. The Omega looks fantastic at a ridiculous price. Can't imagine too many spending that sort of dough on an omega...but we could be proved wrong
    Watch list:

Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50
    , Tudor Black Bay Black Bezel eta, Tudor Pelagos LHD, Rolex Sea Dweller 16600

Quote Originally Posted by samanator View Post
    Are you in Omega's marketing department?

"featuring the biggest advance in traditional mechanical watch making in over 150 years"

Geez! That is a little over the top for what the co-axial escapement is! I could buy this statement on Seiko's Spring Drive but it is quite over stating things for this movement. Don't get me wrong I love these movements but I would never use words like this to describe it.
    One; I don't work for Omega.

Two; I have a grasp of what it is and why Omega are using Dr. Daniels revolutionary escapement.

Three; I really don't think you understand what Co-Axial technology is all about. Check out M4tt posts on the Omega forum for a quick class in what, why and how.

Four; with regards to Spring Drive, it is hybrid technology, more akin to quartz watches than a traditional balance wheel equipped watch.

Five; this cool aid you "accuse" me of supping - I'm not a fan-boy of any particular brand, but I am a fan of technology. Something that is the biggest advancement in traditional mechanical watch-making in over 150 years, which it is, is something to celebrated.

Quote Originally Posted by david Anthony View Post
    there's no question the omega is nicer...plus it has a co-ax movememt.

Is it twice as nice as the LM7?? I think so.

Is it three times as nice?? umm, ok..maybeee

Is it four times as nice??? not too sure about that

Yet the Omega is 6 times the price of the LM7 making the price ratio a little out of whack and IMHO not worth the money. If you like the style then the LM7 is a smart buy for the price. Many companies sell watches with generic off the self case styles for more than the totally custom LM7.

Just my .02
    I've never understood the 2x, 5x as nice thing - seconds only seperate the greatest race horses in the world from the worst - they are not 5x as fast - but those few seconds faster make them far more valuable.

I'm curious, do you own a LM-7?

I own a black dial - I sent it in yesterday for the 60 click upgrade - although the 58 click bezel thing has been a bit ridiculous, Mitch could have handled it better - in fact he may have been better off not fixing it at all in the first generation vs. fixing it and handling it so poorly.

In any case, I find the fit and finish on the LM-7 comparable to the watches in my collection, (Breitling, Rolex, Omega, Stowa, Ball.

It is quite obviously a homage - I'm not normally a 'clone' guy - but in this case there was no way to buy a real Ploprof (I prefer to buy new)

I'm not sure the topic is LM-7 vs. 09 Omega Ploprof it's "How well did they do"? For what they set out to do, I think quite well. If the 58 click bezel fiasco had not showed up - I'm not sure there is anything to criticise about with this watch - (if you like the design) at any price. It's well made.

The bezel fiasco - and this is a perfectly usable bezel that lines up at 12, seems to have tainted the LM-7 and O7 - and the funny thing is many of the comments are from those who do not own the watch or brand.
    Last edited by surfguy; March 31st, 2009 at 19:08.
    Michael: What is the most inspiring thing I’ve ever said to you?
    Dwight: Don’t be an idiot - changed my life. Whenever I’m about to do something, I think, Would an idiot do that? and if they would, I do not do that thing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information