WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

I need some advice on my next dive watch purchase

1K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  torquemada 
#1 ·
I'm an amateur watch collector with pockets that aren't quite as deep as many people who are reading this. I take an interest in all watches, but am looking to go from Invictas and low-quality Seikos, to something nicer.

I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong place. I'm a newbie but needed some other opinions.

I'm looking for a black dive watch, probably between 38 and 42mm, ideally 40, that's got a 20mm lug width. I'd love it if it's a Swiss made watch but that's not a must. The price I'd like to have at or below $500 but if it's a watch that's well worth the money I can go a bit over $500. Automatic versus quartz isn't a huge point for me, but quartz would be a bit more practical for me since I'm a big NATO strap guy with a 7 inch wrist, and a NATO on an automatic may have a bit too much wrist presence.

If anybody knows of good divers let me know.

Thanks for the help :)

-Andrew

#3 ·
In my humble opinion, Deep Blue sells a very nice array of divers in the 40-45mm range, priced now with substantial discounts for the holidays. Use coupon code BLUE for I believe 40% off. They have some very nice models with black dials and/or PVD cases. With the 40% off you can step up in price and model and still stay around $500. I own several Deep Blue watches and they never disappoint. Well built, functional layouts and great water resistance. Stan and Eli are stand up guys and the customer service is one of the best among micro brands. Good luck!

#4 ·
Also, go with a mechanical automatic for sure. Yes, you have to keep them wound or wind them if you don’t wear everyday, but autos are the way to go. Most of Deep Blue models are mechanical autos, Miyota and Swiss ETA. You won’t find Swiss made at $500, but you could find an ETA Movement at the $500 price point if watchbis discounted.

#6 ·
I love my Zelos bronze Mako. They're now sold out but there are new designs being launched frequently. If you get in at an early stage, you get the lowest price. Mine cost well under $500 with a Sellita 200 movement. Lovely quality. www.zeloswatches.com

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Blue

#14 ·
I love my Zelos bronze Mako. They're now sold out but there are new designs being launched frequently. If you get in at an early stage, you get the lowest price. Mine cost well under $500 with a Sellita 200 movement. Lovely quality. www.zeloswatches.com

Supposedly the next batch of Bronze Makos should be in the next month or maybe two. This will likely be my next purchase. It is on the thicker side though since you said that is a concern for you

View attachment 13730067
Lots of great suggestions here. I'd just like to add HELM to the discussion. Currently sold out but well worth the wait. (about 2 months) New model coming too.
The new Helm model, the Komodo, will be 40mm with 20mm mug width. Also on the thicker side though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 · (Edited)
if you get lucky with a sale, alpina, edox, delma, glycine, squale 20, maybe maurice Lacroix or a certina ds quartz could be in your range, as for the established brands.

oh, and this

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Black Fashion accessory

outside these, search the forum for affordables or sub 500 recommendations,
there are many threads, tons of wristshots,
you'll get a very comprehensive feel for what's around much faster.
there's also an affordables forum, I'm sure there'll be divers threads to peruse there.

regarding natos, have you tried single pass or perlons?
only one pass under the watch, makes a big difference from regular ones.

#10 · (Edited)
I think the Squale 1521 is one of the best looking dive watches at any price point.

If you like the vintage look, check out the newBaltic Aquascaphe.

If you want a legit military diver, with good styling to boot, check out the CWC Royal Navy Divers. Available in both Quartz & Automatic(I'd go for the auto if you can swing it.

A nicer Seiko? SBDC051, or a Samurai.

im partial to the Squale myself, but it's all about what YOU love. Pick one that makes you happy, and damn what anyone else thinks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.