i think i may have to buy a camera

Thread: i think i may have to buy a camera

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

i think i may have to buy a camera

hi,orrie here
    this is my 2nd feeble attempt to post pics from my i-phone.
    any suggestions as to brand and type of camera?
    thanks

Re: i think i may have to buy a camera

if u plan to use tripod, then there are many

if u want something light which take good shots, i recomend canon a720

i have taken this with this holding it with 1 hand

WOW! Your canon will certainly do. And I like the Omegas Orrie - great SHOM (Man, I miss mine...) and Baby Ploprof. Post some clearer pics when you get a chance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Canon PowerShot G10, it does everything you could ever want for around $400. Or if you can find a PowerShot G9, you'll save a few bucks and almost get the exact same thing.
    Peace,

Pedro

I have two that I use.

The first is a Canon PowerShot SD800IS.

The second I just bought today a Nikon P80. It has a ultra macro feature. I have not taken any pictures with it yet.....battery is still charging!!!

Once I get some I will put up some comparison shots.

Stephen
    Stephen & Sandra

Quote Originally Posted by 04lund2025 View Post
    I have two that I use.

The first is a Canon PowerShot SD800IS.

The second I just bought today a Nikon P80. It has a ultra macro feature. I have not taken any pictures with it yet.....battery is still charging!!!

Once I get some I will put up some comparison shots.

Stephen
    cannot wait stephen!

Hi orrie!

If quality photography is what you are after, and not just random pics of your watches, I suggest a digital SLR of pretty much any make (I am a Nikon man myself). The SLR allows you full control of all factors (aperture, shutterspeed, ISO, white balance, colour temperature, etc), and you can put it on full auto or program if you don't want to think about all that, or until your photo-chops improve.

An SLR also allows you a full range of lenses, both in terms of focal length and specialty features.

Downside is the price of the camera and lenses, though not too bad if you get a modest consumer camera and a wide-range kit lens.

You can grow with the SLR.

Many people, however, are very well served by "point-and-shoot" cameras which allow little or no manual control. Great for snapshots. Some have pseudo-macro capability (not true 1:1 mag macro but just "close-up"), so you can take a nice watch shot to share with forum members.

Of course, there are compact cameras that have more capability than the p and s cameras, but not as complex as SLRs, which are a fine compromise.

I suppose, after having been so long-winded, given the type of question you asked, a point-and-shoot compact would be good.

If so, try not to get sucked in by megapixel-mania. Cramming the most resolution into a small sensor (a compact camera's sensor is far smaller than an SLR's), is just a silly marketing ploy after a certain level. The more you cram into a small sensor (think of the sensor as the film surface in a film camera), you will get more "noise" -- the grainy random-colour detail-robbing effect that you see in the darker areas of a photo. Try to stay around 7 MP or less. You won't need more than that unless you plan to make 11x14 or larger enlargements on a routine basis. If so, get an SLR with more MPs.

I use a 10.2 MP SLR, but mostly use the 5.6 MP medium setting. More than enough for highly detailed 8X10 prints.

Get yourself a used Nikon D40 (or D60 or D80) -- or some other brand, with the 18-135mm zoom (or similar wide-range). That should cover more than all of what you would do now, and you can develop with it. If you do something like this, you can add lenses as you go, and upgrade to a better camera body later (so long as you stay with the same brand so that you can still use your lenses that you purchased with the first camera.

These suggested cameras are modest SLRs. If you have the money or inclination, go nuts and get a D300 or D700 or D3, but we are talking $1500 to $6,000, instead of $500.

Was this too much info?
    Last edited by Sappie66; January 18th, 2009 at 10:14.

Great pic ptolemy!

ptolemy... EXCELLENT PHOTO!

Agree 100% with you Sappie. I have a canon EOS SLR and they are around $500, with the lens. It is awsome and not much more than some the the P&S cameras they are talking about.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information