If you haven't ordered a Scurfa, you should probably order a Scurfa. My Mini Review
Like Tree15Likes
  • 15 Post By rkb

Thread: If you haven't ordered a Scurfa, you should probably order a Scurfa. My Mini Review

rkb

If you haven't ordered a Scurfa, you should probably order a Scurfa. My Mini Review

My hats off to Paul and Alison of Scurfa watches. I have been a long time Rolex and Tudor owner with the odd higher end Seiko here and there. I love these pieces but regardless of what some may do, I refuse to put them in harm's way if it can be avoided. No doubt my Rolex watches are tough, I've broken the speed of sound and pulled 9 Gs with my Explorer II but I'm not going to wear it rock climbing or working on the house.

Name:  IMG_3580.jpeg
Views: 91
Size:  1.56 MB

For my more rough and tumble adventures, I have always turned to the classic Seiko SKX Divers which are pretty much the gold standard. Or that's what I have always thought until I discovered Scurfa. To be truthful, I didn't immediately order a Scurfa when I first saw one. Even though I thought Paul's design was spot on I was put off by the watch being quartz. But then I started thinking and looking and thinking some more- wouldn't it be nice to have a grab and go tool watch that I didn't have to mess with shaking and winding?

That brings me to today, I just got back into town after a long flight from Alaska and waiting for me on the kitchen counter was my new blue Scurfa. I placed the order last weekend, it shipped from the UK on Monday and was in Seattle by Wednesday.

Here's some observations so far.

Case: All brushed, no polished surfaces so I don't have to freak out by a scratch on a the case sides.

Bezel: Nice action with no reverse play. Solid feel. Lume pip is set versus just painted on, nice touch at this price point. The bezel aligns perfectly (are you listening Seiko?)

Crystal: Impressive domed crystal that has a curve that matches the curve of the bezel. The profile of these two together is very cool.

Name:  IMG_3578 2.jpeg
Views: 94
Size:  527.7 KB

Quality of machining on the case: Overall pretty darn good, you can see some machine marks with a loop but other wise they go unnoticed.

Name:  IMG_3579.jpeg
Views: 97
Size:  926.5 KB

Strap: Even though my pictures are of the watch on a NATO, I really do like the rubber strap from Scurfa. It has a nice soft feel with plenty of settings for a perfect fit.

Lume: Crazy bright.

My early conclusions are this is one solid tool watch for the price. In fact, I think Paul could easily double the price of the watch and it would still be a bargain. Buy one, heck buy a couple in different colors.

Name:  IMG_3575.jpeg
Views: 82
Size:  1.27 MB
    TUDOR HERITAGE BLACK BAY RED ROLEX EXPLORER II TUDOR HERITAGE CHRONOGRAPH ROLEX EXPLORER I TUDOR SUBMARINER 7928 ROLEX DATEJUST SEIKO SBDX001 MARINEMASTER 300M SCURFA D1-500 ND713 SEIKO SKX173 SEIKO SBDC005 ORANGE SUMO SEIKO SKX009K SEIKO SUN015P1 SEIKO 6309 SEIKO SRPC91 TAGHEUER 980.006 STEINHART OCEAN ONE VINTAGE STEINHART OCEAN VINTAGE GMT NEW HAMILTON JAZZMASTER VIEWMATIC TISSOT V8 CHRONOGRAPH SUUNTO​ AMBIT VERTICAL STEINHART OCEAN VINTAGE MILITARY V1 SQUALE TROPIC GMT CERAMICA ORIS CLASSIC DATE SEIKO JDM HEQ GMT SBQJ017 SEIKO SBDC003 BLUE SUMO

Re: If you haven't ordered a Scurfa, you should probably order a Scurfa. My Mini Review

Nice review. I agree with you that Scurfa watches are a bit special.

Re: If you haven't ordered a Scurfa, you should probably order a Scurfa. My Mini Review

Agreed! Have two and wear them quite often. Absolute bang for buck. The Scurfa bracelet is pretty nice as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I’m going to pick up the gloss black one in November! Had the yellow, great watch
    Current collection:
    Breitling Avenger II GMT
    Longines Hydroconquest L888
    Seiko Champion Calendar

Wishlist:
    Omega Planet Ocean

Thread Information