Introducing the Zodiac Sea Wolf 'Topper Edition' Series II Watches Co-Designed by Eric Singer
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Introducing the Zodiac Sea Wolf 'Topper Edition' Series II Watches Co-Designed by Eric Singer

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Multiple Forum Sponsor - Topper Fine Jewelers

Introducing the Zodiac Sea Wolf 'Topper Edition' Series II Watches Co-Designed by Eric Singer

As we learned with our first Zodiac Topper Edition released earlier this year, the Zodiac historical archive is simply too deep for just one visit. It was what we explored in that treasure trove of creativity that inspired us to create a second series of Sea Wolf Topper Editions, once again co-designed by Zodiac fan and friend Eric Singer. We are thrilled to be able to unveil these watches in the company of Eric, who has not only helped us with our prior Zodiac Topper Edition releases, but was also instrumental in some of the creative suggestions for our Oris Divers Sixty-Five Topper Edition that helped make it one of our most popular Topper Editions ever.

As before, we approached the project with the ambition of creating a series of entirely new watches, inspired by some of our favorite Zodiac divers in history, but with new details and modifications that have yet to appear in any modern Zodiac, ensuring that each Topper Edition maintains its own unique style. After plenty of research and exploring which watches we thought we would enjoy reissuing with Eric, and with Zodiac's blessing of course, we selected two distinct Zodiac archival references to serve as source material for three exclusive dive watches that we hope you will enjoy wearing as much as we enjoyed designing.

Super Sea Wolf "White Wolf" ZO9208
    - 40mm, 200m water resistant
    - STP 3-13-3 automatic movement (COSC)
    - Stainless steel case & rivet-style oyster bracelet
    - 2-year International Zodiac Warranty
    - Limited to 82 pieces
    - $1,495

The first in the new 'Wolf Pack' is the "White Wolf," (ref. ZO9208), which marks the very first time in modern Zodiac history that the 'flag dial' (denoted by the four raised triangle hour markers) has been paired with a mineral glass bezel. This unique combination was inspired by some of Eric's favorite Zodiac watches in the archive, which exhibited colorful Bakelite bezels. However, Eric was particularly drawn to how these bezels looked after prolonged sun exposure, often yielding a "ghost-white" color bezel, and a cool, monochrome aesthetic. We then color matched the "flag" markers to tonally match the bezel and create the effect we were looking for.

Joining last year's breakout limited edition hit ZO9205 in titanium, this will be the first stainless steel Sea Wolf to feature a no-date flag dial and perfectly symmetrical markers. The White Wolf is eminently wearable in its 40mm case, featuring a 20mm lug width, and a thickness of only 11mm. We equipped it with Zodiac's newest 'rivet' style three-link bracelet, which is fitted with a pair of expanding links next to the clasp that uses springs to self-adjust throughout the day. Unsurprisingly, the bracelet is as clever as it is incredibly comfortable, and something that we are excited to become a mainstay in the Zodiac diver line.

Sea Wolf 'Rally' ZO9271 (Yellow)
    - Stainless steel case & jubilee bracelet
    - Limited to 82 pieces
    - $1,495

Sea Wolf 'Rally' ZO9273 (Blue)
    - Stainless steel case & jubilee bracelet
    - Limited to 82 pieces
    - $1,495

Nicknamed the "taxi" in the earliest stages of our collaboration, both ZO9271 (yellow bezel) and ZO9273 (blue bezel) are inspired by one of the rarest, but most sought-after references in the vintage Zodiac catalog: the "Rally," which earned its moniker from the racy, checkered flag-style bezel. Though partly due to the soaring popularity of motor racing at the time, it is also highly possible that many of the Rally bezels were actually designed to emulate the checkered 'no decompression' style dive bezel found on many popular Jenny and DOXA examples, but without their patented markings.

As colorful and historically interesting as these bezels are, we sought to modernize the Rally with a scratch-resistant mineral glass bezel, while updating the dial with a few details exclusive to Topper, such as the red-tipped seconds hand, which was custom-manufactured to match the "shovel" style hour and minute hands, and the color-matched detailing on the dial. Eric was particularly drawn to this aesthetic because the bezels feature a vivid representation of color that rival the very best of any watch style and design from the late Sixties and early Seventies.

We are thrilled to present this Sea Wolf 'Rally' Limited Edition in two colorways: a black dial with a yellow bezel and matching dial accents, and a beautiful blue 'dégradé' dial, which exhibits a bright blue sunburst at the center that darkens as it travels to the edge of the dial. Don't let the vibrant vintage aesthetic and slim case proportions fool you though–each of these Sea Wolf Limited Editions honor the tool watch expression of their predecessors by featuring screw-down crowns and casebacks with a water resistance of an ample 200 meters.

Fans of our first Zodiac collaboration should recognize that both of the Sea Wolf 'Rally' watches are fitted with Zodiac's excellent vintage-style jubilee bracelet, which features individual center beads, and an equally clever spring-loaded clasp, which adjusts automatically to your wrist throughout the day.

Just like our first Zodiac Topper Editions, all three of these new Series II watches are powered by Zodiac's automatic STP3-13-3 calibre. Vintage dive watch fans will appreciate that this is a no-date movement, which lends a nice uninterrupted symmetry to the dial. However, a closer look reveals it's also a Swiss-made COSC-certified chronometer with 44 hours of reserve power, and has a few extra upgrades, such as the perlage on the base plates and bridges, as well as a swan neck regulation system. For more information about this particular calibre, our friends at aBlogtoWatch took a trip to STP's movement manufactory, which you can read about here.

We are thrilled with the outcome of this collaborative effort, and want to personally thank Eric Singer and T.J. McKnight at Zodiac for the inspiration, and for helping bring this project to fruition. If you are interested in learning more, or would like to reserve one of these Series II Sea Wolf watches for yourself, we welcome you to inquire by calling Topper Jewelers at 888-730-2221, or by e-mailing [email protected]. You can also reserve the three watches online through Topper's Pre-Order Central portal here.

Name:  zodiac_topper_edition_white_wolf.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  1.11 MB
    dinexus, Sebast975, vexXed and 6 others like this.
    Rob Caplan
    Twitter Robattopper
    Topper Fine Jewelers
    1315 Burlingame Ave
    Burlingame Ca 94010
    [email protected]
    www.topperjewelers.com
    Monday-Saturday 10:5:30
    888-730-2221
    650-347-2221
    Watchuseek Sponsor

Re: Introducing the Zodiac Sea Wolf 'Topper Edition' Series II Watches Co-Designed by Eric Singer

Man alive, that White Wolf is a stunner.

Re: Introducing the Zodiac Sea Wolf 'Topper Edition' Series II Watches Co-Designed by Eric Singer

Nice looking Zodiacs.
    Although, I don't understand why the White model named Super Sea Wolf.
    Originally it was regular Sea Wolf. Not Super.
    redhed18 and cave diver like this.
    Vintage Zodiac addict.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Another great roundup, I feel like these Zodiac limited editions could serve as a pretty interesting collection on their own. At least that's what I'll say to justify myself on getting a second :)
    Seeing the new bracelet and pairing of 'bakelite' bezel with older skin dial I couldn't resist. Little details to set it apart like the older style single lume patch hands and brushed lugs sealed it.

I noticed that in the render shown in the original blog post for the black and gold rally, the whole triangle on the bezel was lumed. Was this erroneous or was this one of the earlier design candidates? I know a lot of the vintage bezels had the whole triangle lume instead of just a dot.
    Is the dot the only lume on the white wolf bezel? I always thought that there could stand to be a little more lume particularly since the glass gives the lume a really cool soft-edge effect. Say around the borders of the sticks or a block above the 3 minute triangles, to help time any night time payphone calls (lol).

Quote Originally Posted by YuriyV View Post
    Nice looking Zodiacs.
    Although, I don't understand why the White model named Super Sea Wolf.
    Originally it was regular Sea Wolf. Not Super.
    That’s a good question! A lot of thought went into that. “Super” has been on almost all Sea Wolfs in modern Zodiac, when historically, the only “Super Sea Wolfs” on the dial of vintage Zodiac are the ones that they now call “Super Sea Wolf 68”. As this limited is the first time that modern Zodiac has combined elements of Compression and Skin, we wanted to include “super” on the dial in the historical font to recognize the effort that went into making this by the team in Switzerland. Zodiac has called many similar models to our limited in the modern era of Zodiac “Super Sea Wolf” and we wanted to be respectful and in line with both modern and vintage. We also wanted to push the envelope on the Rally models and just call them Sea Wolfs. These models meld old and new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by robattopper; November 11th, 2018 at 21:09.
    dinexus likes this.
    Rob Caplan
    Twitter Robattopper
    Topper Fine Jewelers
    1315 Burlingame Ave
    Burlingame Ca 94010
    [email protected]
    www.topperjewelers.com
    888-730-2221
    650-347-2221
    Watchuseek Sponsor

Wow, very tough choice. Based on renders alone, the blue is my favorite, but I don't have any yellow in my collection, then one of the many enablers at the launch event last night said the white looked best on me... Dammit Rob!

Very nice I like the blue rally myself. I have the ZO9258

Name:  71nGUJ6abeL._UY679_.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  39.9 KB

In my opinion they are quality watches. Very solid feeling, nice heft, fairly thick at 14mm. I find they wear bigger than the 40mm would suggest due to the fact that it's basically all bezel, no case to be seen from the front view, just the looong lugs. Side by side with some of my 42mm's the Zodiac actually appears larger.
    BrianMcKay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by skuzapo View Post
    Another great roundup, I feel like these Zodiac limited editions could serve as a pretty interesting collection on their own. At least that's what I'll say to justify myself on getting a second
    Seeing the new bracelet and pairing of 'bakelite' bezel with older skin dial I couldn't resist. Little details to set it apart like the older style single lume patch hands and brushed lugs sealed it.

I noticed that in the render shown in the original blog post for the black and gold rally, the whole triangle on the bezel was lumed. Was this erroneous or was this one of the earlier design candidates? I know a lot of the vintage bezels had the whole triangle lume instead of just a dot.
    Is the dot the only lume on the white wolf bezel? I always thought that there could stand to be a little more lume particularly since the glass gives the lume a really cool soft-edge effect. Say around the borders of the sticks or a block above the 3 minute triangles, to help time any night time payphone calls (lol).
    Thank you for the nice compliment.

As to the rally lume pip: Ideally we would have had this event in January with the final prototypes when all the watches were ready. Because Eric is starting the end of the road tour with KISS, this was our only chance to have him in the store to meet the guests of Topper and the Watch The Bay Group. This is one detail we are still working through to see what comes out best, but we believe it will probably be like the prototype. (Though the final watch will definitely have white markers and indices like the indices in the renderings)

Also we asked that the prototypes not be photographed because each wasn’t quite ready for different reasons (for instance the white wolf prototype didn’t have a lume tipped second hand or white lume) but people were having so much fun with it, we let them get photographed anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by robattopper; November 12th, 2018 at 03:37.
    Rob Caplan
    Twitter Robattopper
    Topper Fine Jewelers
    1315 Burlingame Ave
    Burlingame Ca 94010
    [email protected]
    www.topperjewelers.com
    888-730-2221
    650-347-2221
    Watchuseek Sponsor

The White Wolf is v nice! Is the lug-to-lug around 48mm?
    robattopper likes this.

I’m in on the preorder already. White Wolf is a stunner. The 11mm height is dynamite.
    robattopper likes this.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information