Isofrane Strap alternatives in 18mm?
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Isofrane Strap alternatives in 18mm?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Member MissSummerStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    369

    Isofrane Strap alternatives in 18mm?

    Any isofrane designed alternatives in 18mm?
    Searched for a few days, came up with nothing.

  2. #2
    Moderator 2500M_Sub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Boca
    Posts
    1,909

    Re: Isofrane Strap alternatives in 18mm?

    I dont think they make iso styled straps in 18mm, so you could if you are handy with a dremel shave a mm off each side of a 20mm strap or check out the BC strap below, same rubber as an iso and available in 18mm, these are thinner than an iso strap so be aware of that. Found the one below on Amazon.

    Regards,

    Ren

    Ayreonaut likes this.

  3. #3
    Member hugof3C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    En cas d'absence, je ne suis pas là. Si vous n'êtes pas là non plus, il n'y a personne.
    Posts
    1,867

    Re: Isofrane Strap alternatives in 18mm?

    I not only use, but actually prefer straps wider than the lugs when available,
    but that's for 22mm lugs,
    a 2mm increase in 18mm ones may be too much for a 20mm strap to be a direct fit,
    take a 20mm iso-clone or one that's just roughly inspired, like the ones from zelos or uncleseiko, and shave off a mm or so, as recommended below,
    >don't < try to cut them nor make a square shape, you'll never get it right,
    just ease the width from 20 to 19 or 18.5mm so that you always have some material left to do any fine tuning needed, and it'll work.

    of course, if you're not used to working with rubber, try it on something else first, it's a pain to get it right..

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member MissSummerStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    369

    Re: Isofrane Strap alternatives in 18mm?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2500M_Sub View Post
    I dont think they make iso styled straps in 18mm, so you could if you are handy with a dremel shave a mm off each side of a 20mm strap or check out the BC strap below, same rubber as an iso and available in 18mm, these are thinner than an iso strap so be aware of that. Found the one below on Amazon.

    Regards,

    Ren

    Thanks!
    2500M_Sub likes this.

  6. #5
    Member MissSummerStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    369

    Re: Isofrane Strap alternatives in 18mm?

    Quote Originally Posted by hugof3C View Post
    I not only use, but actually prefer straps wider than the lugs when available,
    but that's for 22mm lugs,
    a 2mm increase in 18mm ones may be too much for a 20mm strap to be a direct fit,
    take a 20mm iso-clone or one that's just roughly inspired, like the ones from zelos or uncleseiko, and shave off a mm or so, as recommended below,
    >don't < try to cut them nor make a square shape, you'll never get it right,
    just ease the width from 20 to 19 or 18.5mm so that you always have some material left to do any fine tuning needed, and it'll work.

    of course, if you're not used to working with rubber, try it on something else first, it's a pain to get it right..
    Thanks for your help, after mainly failed attempts of trying to adjust a shark mesh bracelet, I’m good at trying to adjust straps/bracelets! The other posters suggestion might be a winner.

  7. #6
    Member hugof3C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    En cas d'absence, je ne suis pas là. Si vous n'êtes pas là non plus, il n'y a personne.
    Posts
    1,867

    Re: Isofrane Strap alternatives in 18mm?

    Quote Originally Posted by MissSummerStorm View Post
    Thanks for your help, after mainly failed attempts of trying to adjust a shark mesh bracelet, I’m good at trying to adjust straps/bracelets! The other posters suggestion might be a winner.
    if by alternatives to isofrane you mean 'with slots' rather than same design,
    I don't know your budget, but breitling has 18mm versions of the ocean racer, and aren't expensive for an oem strap if you buy direct from their site without buckle.
    copies of these are also easily found, those are a crap shoot regarding quality, but, depending on how you'll be wearing the watch may be an option also.
    aside from these and the bonetto below, I can't think of any that wouldn't need tinkering with, no.

  8. #7
    Member MissSummerStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    369

    Re: Isofrane Strap alternatives in 18mm?

    Quote Originally Posted by hugof3C View Post
    if by alternatives to isofrane you mean 'with slots' rather than same design,
    I don't know your budget, but breitling has 18mm versions of the ocean racer, and aren't expensive for an oem strap if you buy direct from their site without buckle.
    copies of these are also easily found, those are a crap shoot regarding quality, but, depending on how you'll be wearing the watch may be an option also.
    aside from these and the bonetto below, I can't think of any that wouldn't need tinkering with, no.

    So I guess I lied, I’m thinking of get the Borealis Vulcanjzed Rubber Strap in 20mm and shaving it down. Heard they are pretty much neck and neck with isofrane but for fraction of the cost, so I’ll experiment with that before I buy the isofrane. What tools/materials do you use to shave away the sides?

  9. #8
    Member DEMO111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    8,274

    Re: Isofrane Strap alternatives in 18mm?

    Quote Originally Posted by MissSummerStorm View Post
    What tools/materials do you use to shave away the sides?
    Use a #11 X-Acto Knife with a brand new blade.
    MissSummerStorm likes this.
    Dive watch fanatic since 1980

  10. #9
    Member hugof3C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    En cas d'absence, je ne suis pas là. Si vous n'êtes pas là non plus, il n'y a personne.
    Posts
    1,867

    Re: Isofrane Strap alternatives in 18mm?

    Quote Originally Posted by MissSummerStorm View Post
    So I guess I lied, I’m thinking of get the Borealis Vulcanjzed Rubber Strap in 20mm and shaving it down. Heard they are pretty much neck and neck with isofrane but for fraction of the cost, so I’ll experiment with that before I buy the isofrane. What tools/materials do you use to shave away the sides?
    first, I'd try some vaseline and check if a direct fit doesn't work,
    haven't tried the borealis but, according to those who have, it's a soft compound,
    it may very well work and, personally, it adds a curve I like to see.

    if not, X-acto as advised,
    >after< trying it on some other piece of rubber.
    I'd align both sides of the strap on top of one another and, vertically placed on a table, cut longitudinally in direction of the lugs.
    each cut clean, but several cuts to progressively get to the desired width,
    I wouldn't try to get it right the first time as the smallest mistake will take off too much.
    I'd try making a progressive slant from 20 to, say, 18.5, and use fine sandpaper or even a piece of old jeans to finish it off,
    as trying to make a square cut, as most prefer, will always make a place for the strap to rip where the two cuts join.
    I usually solve that by making a hole with a belt hole puncher at the vertex of the angle, so that the two cuts never actually join,
    but that can't be done for just a mm on either side, so..

    have patience and try everything first on a scrap of rubber,
    it really is a tricky material to work with,
    but I'd try to squeeze it in as it is first, if the lugs offer enough space

  11. #10
    Member thejames1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,819

    Re: Isofrane Strap alternatives in 18mm?

    Quote Originally Posted by MissSummerStorm View Post
    Any isofrane designed alternatives in 18mm?
    Searched for a few days, came up with nothing.
    I would suggest checking out a vintage Tropic Sport (big holed) strap. These vintage straps are still one of the most comfortable rubber straps, and 18mm version are not too bad on price.
    Here is a link to a seller I have used before:
    http://chronocentric.com/forums/chro...read;id=116901


    @thejames80
    For Instagram photos: thejames80

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •