A little help please....

Thread: A little help please....

A little help please....

Aloha Guys,

I have a couple questions and requests for this crew - see if anyone out there can help me out.

I need a few different scans or pix of a NATO strap (the kind that goes behind the movement). Nothing fancy in terms of photo quality (what I need most is a shot next to a ruler or a full size scan so I can see things like stitching, D-rings etc). I'm up to something fun, but can't say what...

Also, perhaps this has been covered before, but can someone explain to me how argon gas is supposed to stay inside a Sinn watch over time. Isn't it supposed to have Ar gas inside since argon is inert? As someone with many years of chemistry under my belt, I just can't see how it wouldn't diffuse away pretty quickly once you unscrew the crown - there's generally just an O-ring in there once you open the crown. And how does one service the watches with oil inside w/o sending it back to Sinn? (and since the internet can't convey my inflection, these are not meant to be inflammatory questions at all - I simply don't know and I'm sure someone here does.)

Thanks!
    John

Retired and living in the mountains of Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: A little help please....

Quote Originally Posted by BathysHawaii
    Aloha Guys,

I have a couple questions and requests for this crew - see if anyone out there can help me out.

I need a few different scans or pix of a NATO strap (the kind that goes behind the movement). Nothing fancy in terms of photo quality (what I need most is a shot next to a ruler or a full size scan so I can see things like stitching, D-rings etc). I'm up to something fun, but can't say what...

Also, perhaps this has been covered before, but can someone explain to me how argon gas is supposed to stay inside a Sinn watch over time. Isn't it supposed to have Ar gas inside since argon is inert? As someone with many years of chemistry under my belt, I just can't see how it wouldn't diffuse away pretty quickly once you unscrew the crown - there's generally just an O-ring in there once you open the crown. And how does one service the watches with oil inside w/o sending it back to Sinn? (and since the internet can't convey my inflection, these are not meant to be inflammatory questions at all - I simply don't know and I'm sure someone here does.)

Thanks!
    John
    Hi, John. I can't help with the pics of the NATO straps nor answer your questions regarding argon gas, but I can answer your last question.

How do you service an oil-filled Sinn watch (like my EZM2) without sending it back to the Sinn factory? The answer is, you don't. :-D

At this time, they must be sent back to the factory in Germany for servicing.
    Steve

My favorite diver? Jessica Alba, of course!

Re: A little help please....

The Argon option goes hand in hand with the copper sulphate capsule which serves as a humidity/moisture indicator. The gas will espace if the case back is removed for service, hence, the requirement to send the watch back to Sinn for service. The use of the crown does not affect the argon.

From Broadarrow.net's review of the EZM1:

A special manufacturing process is utilized, and the entire case is filled with argon gas. The argon gas helps to eliminate any ambient moisture that may be present in the manufacturing environment. The gas also minimizes surface corrosion and helps to keep lubricants from breaking down over time. The gas can prolong the time between service intervals.

With the silicon filled EZM2 and UX batttery changes (every 7 years) require the watch to go back to Sinn.

Check your email for a link to some Nato straps (don't know if I can post since its on another forum).
    Last edited by Serafino; April 13th, 2006 at 01:38.

Thread Information