Looking for a Dive watch that will last
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Looking for a Dive watch that will last

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Question Looking for a Dive watch that will last

Hey guys I'm rather new to collecting watches and I finally want to spend some money on my first nice-ish watch with a budget of $600 USD (I can budge if the watch really ticks all the boxes). Seeing as this will be my first nice watch I want something that can be worn daily and will last a lifetime with minimal maintenance, something I can give to my future kids one day as it will probably be my nicest watch for quite some time.

Some requirements:

-40mm case diameter
    -Titanium case and band
    -Silver/Black color scheme
    -Swiss made (As someone who has only owned Invictas/Seikos I absolutely want something Swiss made)

Here are some watches that almost fit the bill to give you guys an idea of my tastes:

- Squale 20 ATMOS Classic Ceramic -1545 (Damn near perfect in every way not to mention beautiful, but not titanium)
    - Certina DS Action Diver Automatic in Titanium (Again nearly perfect for me but 43mm would be huge on me)

I keep finding watches that excite me and check all my boxes except one crucial one like size or material. Hopefully you guys can help me out, thanks!
    E8ArmyDiver and Londonboy like this.

Re: Looking for a Dive watch that will last

Just curious, why are you so set on titanium?

I spend a lot of time swimming and going to the beach and am worried about the prolonged effects of salt water on stainless steel. Again I am a novice when it comes to watches so if you think it wouldn't be a problem I'm open to hearing you or anyone else out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Krontimus View Post
    I spend a lot of time swimming and going to the beach and am worried about the prolonged effects of salt water on stainless steel. Again I am a novice when it comes to watches so if you think it wouldn't be a problem I'm open to hearing you or anyone else out.
    it wont be a problem at all. Just wear your watch in the shower and the fresh water washes off the salt. No problem
    Pneuma, BrianMcKay and jbsutta like this.

No its just that there are way fewer titanium watches out there. Lots of good to great steel divers in that price point. Just search on "best diver under $500" and you'll get tons of youtube videos and the like.

The only titanium watch I could find that was even close is the Mido Ocean Star but it's 42.5mm and the MSRP is right at $1,000 but if you can find a used one it should be close to your price point.

https://www.midowatches.com/us/swiss...m0264304406100

GLWS (good luck with search)

Yeah I’ve seen the Mido and I like it but it’s a bit too big, also not black/silver, thank you for your help. I’ve been searching for a while and you might be right I haven’t seen any Titanium diver that fits the bill I might just send it on the Squale 1545 as its the what I’ve been leaning on so far.

Rolex makes steel watches and people swim with them. All the dive watches I wear when I'm on the boat or in the water (think Gulf of Mexico) are all steel. Simple rinse under the faucet when done.
    BrianMcKay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeKing View Post
    Rolex makes steel watches and people swim with them. All the dive watches I wear when I'm on the boat or in the water (think Gulf of Mexico) are all steel. Simple rinse under the faucet when done.
    I guess it should be fine as long as I wash it under the faucet after a day at the beach. Do you have any thoughts on the Squale 1545 Classic?

En cas d'absence, je ne suis pas l. Si vous n'tes pas l non plus, il n'y a personne.

steel dive watches have been around for a lifetime now, and they're perfectly fine,
    most, which leads me to my next point,
    looking much better than 20 year old titanium ones,
    that'll take on much greater damage from daily wear than current steel will ever get from corrosion.
    at your price point, titanium will be resumed to only a couple of models, low grade with no surface hardening processes, and likely only from microbrands,
    to which you will have a very hard time, if at all possible,
    to find available parts in only a few years time.

really, titanium + your budget is the worst possible combination for a swiss heirloom after a lifetime of wear,
    and reduces your options so much you're more likely to get a watch that'll mean nothing to you even at double the price than one with any chances of surviving your taste and be a pleasure to wear for long.

any watch made today is able to last a lifetime,
    choose brands that are easy to find parts for, prefer a commonly used movement, and you'll be fine.

one last thing, about rinsing the watch after immersion in sea or pool,
    that's about preserving the seals, not the case,
    recommendations are exactly the same for any watch regardless of what they're made from.
    Londonboy and dfwcowboy like this.

Welcome to WUS OP...Here's your watch my friend..The Steinhart "Ocean 39 Titanium GMT"..$680.00 including DHL delivery from WUS Sponsor Gnomon.com.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by E8ArmyDiver; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:35.
    Current(Automatic):
    Fortis "Mars 500 Chronograph",1 of 500...
    Squale"30Atmos GMT"Alpine Green,1 of 200...
    Damasko "DSub1"...
    Zodiac"Super Seawolf"Creamsicle...
    Deep Blue "Daynight Diver"Sunray Blue/Blue Ceramic,T100GTLS...
    Future additions:
    Undone custom"PVD/Old Radium No Date"Diver...
    Squale"101 Atmos"PVD/Yellow...
    GRAIL:2020 Omega Seamaster "Bond 007 Edition"...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information