Looking for a mid-priced diver, preferably in titanium.
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Looking for a mid-priced diver, preferably in titanium.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Looking for a mid-priced diver, preferably in titanium.

Okay so I've been looking at mid price divers for the last couple months and utilizing this great website as a resource. at some point I decided I just needed to sign up and ask my question. So I was hot on Longines and Oris and then I kind of backed away from them both. Mainly because of value. Also someone said that the Longines is just too feminine and I continue to read reviews about the Oris being inaccurate and uninspiring in person. Same thing with Doxa. Very unique watch, but there are so many other manufacturers including micro brands that offer the exact same thing for much less money. I really don't care about the heritage of the watch or how long the company has been in business. What celebrity or former celebrity is wearing the watch. That's silly. I want here and now. The past is the past. So please don't suggest any of the above.

These are the watches that I'm looking at. Forgive me if I don't get the exact name or model of a watch correct. I've been looking at so many and I'm starting to mix all the names and specific specs up at this point.

I like Christopher Ward a lot. I like the value and the quality that he is putting out. I would like a titanium C60 in all gray with a titanium bracelet along with a matching rubber strap or I would like the new 40 mm C60 trident in the black face with maroon bezel in stainkess. Since they make neither of these right now, I am looking at the rest of my options. I may come back to them, but right now I'm looking elsewhere.

I also like a watch called Mido in the titanium Ocean Master Sea Captain or whatever it's called. Unfortunately I question if it is a real dive watch because of its 200 meter rating. I think this is a great looking watch but I'm on the fence about keeping it on the list.

I also like the Certina DS Action diver powermatic 80 in titanium. I love the looks of this watch but I question 43mm is too big. I have larger 7.25-7.5" wrists though. I wear a Citizen Eco-Drive ProMaster diver currently and it is perfect. I think they are the same size. Love the look and love the power reserve. Can't find anyone that has this watch in stock which is weird. Also lots of foreign video reviews online of this watch which leads me to believe it may have never been offered in the United States.

I found a watch today called Fortis in titanium as well but I've never heard of this brand. Also, awfully expensive for the same specs as all the other watches I'm looking at. Not sure what I'm paying for if it never heard of the brand and they have the exact same specs as much cheaper microbrand watches. Anyone know anything about this company or why the watches are price this high? I guess what I'm asking is there value here?

And that brings us to the micro brand; Hamtun Kraken H2. I love this watch in blue whith a ceramic bezel. Great looks, great price and great specs. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I would be able to get this watch until November which is nuts! Contemplating purchasing these watch in November and buying an all grey dial watch now.

Any suggestions or comments welcomed thanks!
    BrianMcKay likes this.

How does having 200m water resistance not make you a legitimate dive watch?

Re: Looking for a mid-priced diver, preferably in titanium.

Seiko Shogun

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've seen it repeated often enough on this site to make me question a 200m rating. Google search brings up lots of results. I can't link anything because my post count is too low. Here is one from Thrillist:

"Water Resistant 200 Meters / 200 Atmospheres / 20 Bar
    Though it might seem like it, this actually isn't dive watch territory. While 200 meters seems like a ton of leeway to scuba dive with, even down 10 meters, it's probably best not to risk it. But by all means, do some laps in the pool with these on. But only push the buttons with your wrist above water."

"Water Resistant 300 Meters / 300 Atmospheres / 30 Bar
    This is the dive watch territory, even though it hasn't been certified to the ISO 6425 standard. Go get wet."

"Diver's or ISO 6425
    If your watch has "ISO 6425" or "Divers" and then a depth number written on the dial or case, you've got a watch designed for diving and certified up to a standard — unlike watches without ISO markings. This ISO standard means the watch is guaranteed by the manufacturer to handle depths of at least 100 meters (if no number is given) as well as an extra 25 percent of that depth if the water is completely static. Additionally, watches that measure up to this standard have significant shock, magnetic, and salt water tolerance, and provide an indication that it's running in total darkness. If you're going to go deep, go with one of these watches."

Name:  459D93A0-E2E1-4CEA-BEB5-51521A975DF3.jpeg
Views: 86
Size:  1.36 MB
    Check out the ocean titanium’s that steinhart has.

Fortis is a great brand with lots of history

https://www.fortis-swiss.com/brand-heritage

Can’t be compared to a typical micro release

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Weetabix, BrianMcKay and jbsutta like this.
    IG: ikeepgoodtime

I thought that Fortis was on the verge of bankruptcy in 2017 or 2018 and/or was sold again.
    I just know Fortis is always touting its Russian spacemen connection. It doesn't look serious about diving watches.
    I think that Christopher Ward was founded by a "Christopher" and a "Ward" in England who aren't divers.
    Oris dive watch owners in the f22 forum rave about them and don't say that they're uninspiring.
    After having two steel Aquis watches of the last generation, I've wanted a current-generation titanium Aquis.
    You can find them for $1500 and more.
    Whether you get a strap or a bracelet, you get screw bars rather than spring bars for security.
    I've recently ordered another titanium Magrette watch for $700.
    Name:  Magrette MPP titanium.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  80.7 KB
    Last edited by BrianMcKay; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:05.
    GrussGott and Synequano like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brush diver View Post
    I've seen it repeated often enough on this site to make me question a 200m rating. Google search brings up lots of results. I can't link anything because my post count is too low. Here is one from Thrillist:

"Water Resistant 200 Meters / 200 Atmospheres / 20 Bar
    Though it might seem like it, this actually isn't dive watch territory. While 200 meters seems like a ton of leeway to scuba dive with, even down 10 meters, it's probably best not to risk it. But by all means, do some laps in the pool with these on. But only push the buttons with your wrist above water."

"Water Resistant 300 Meters / 300 Atmospheres / 30 Bar
    This is the dive watch territory, even though it hasn't been certified to the ISO 6425 standard. Go get wet."

"Diver's or ISO 6425
    If your watch has "ISO 6425" or "Divers" and then a depth number written on the dial or case, you've got a watch designed for diving and certified up to a standard — unlike watches without ISO markings. This ISO standard means the watch is guaranteed by the manufacturer to handle depths of at least 100 meters (if no number is given) as well as an extra 25 percent of that depth if the water is completely static. Additionally, watches that measure up to this standard have significant shock, magnetic, and salt water tolerance, and provide an indication that it's running in total darkness. If you're going to go deep, go with one of these watches."
    So is the Seiko SKX not a dive watch? That's rated to 200m.

"So is the Seiko SKX not a dive watch? That's rated to 200m."

If you're asking me, I really don't know. If I gave the impression that I am some sort of expert on watches, then I apologize. My opinion is just that, based on personal experience and also internet forum reading. I did have a famous maker 200m 'Swiss Made' dive watch die a few years ago due to water intrusion. The greatest challenge that watch faced was snorkeling throughout the Caribbean at depths reaching no more than 20 ft.

So to say I am leery of submersing watches marked 200m would be an understatement.

Bear in mind that the original, milspec divers were rated to 100 meters, I believe. Also bear in mind that many dive watch fans are little more than bench racers who want bragging rights, then cringe about taking their 1000 meter watch out in the rain.

You’ll be more than fine with an Oris Divers 65 rated to 100 meters. If you want something more robust, you can’t go wrong with a Seiko Turtle, which meets the vaunted ISO dive watch specifications and is rated to 200 meters. Anything over that is just wankery as far as I’m concerned.
    Weetabix likes this.

Heuer Autavia Heritage Caliber 02 Farer Lander GMT
    Oak & Oscar Jackson Oris Divers 65
    Junghans Meister Telemeter Seiko Turtle SRP777
    Longines Heritage Chronograph 1973 Seiko 6106-8100 Sports Diver
    Alpina ​Startimer Pilot Manufacture Lorier Hydra

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information