magnitized dive watches
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: magnitized dive watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

magnitized dive watches

ok ive got 3 watches with 3 different auto movements , i did buy a cheap demagnitizer , and watch winder , for some un known reason

they all 3 have ran 2 hours behind in last 2 weeks ,i was wearing my rotation watch for a week , then i get up and its 2 hours short . what
    the hell ? i ran it over demag so time will tell . its either something near me causing it or autos dont like me . the one im wearing is brand new .

maybe i should stick to quartz divers i dunno . but its frustrating .

is there something im missing about autos ? and what exactly is power reserve supposed to do ,

Do you know how to properly use a demagnetizer? You do not just run it over it btw. Do a search on Boobtube if your not sure...

How do you know they got magnetized in the first place?

Re: magnitized dive watches

well i had one while back took to jeweler said it was magnitized, got up this morning and my watch was 2 hours behind , is there another reason i should look to another cause .

because 3 different movements in the past have done the same thing , i watched video before i bought demag ,its the cheap blue one tht is everywhere , what i did was pass it over and turn for 2 to 3 seconds then the buckle , i got a compass here somewhere will use it tomorrow to see if magnetized

then sit the watch on , hit the button and pull watch away slowly then release button , tried that way as well
    Last edited by ericdraven; February 11th, 2020 at 02:35.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You say you have three autimatic watches in your rotation. What is your usual pattern of wearing them? Do you change them daily? Do you wear them for a few days each? Automatic movements like the Seiko NH35, the Miyota 9015 or the ETA 2824 have a.power reserve averaging 40 hours. In other words, once the watch is fully wound, it will run approximately 40 hours (2824's power reserve is closer to 38 hours) off the wrist. So if you're changing your watch once a day, the first watch will be out of power and stopped by the time you are ready to wear it again. And it's possible that, based on your level of activity, you're not completely winding your watch in one day, so it may wind down even sooner. I'd look at that first. As far as magnetizing a watch, does your work or hobbies cause you to be exposed to electrical fields that could have an adverse effect on your watch? Give us some more details, so we can give you a better answer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    trf2271 likes this.
    Nighthawk

i farm for a living , im not in a electrical field daily as far as i know. it just weird to me 3 different brands 3 different movements. now someone asked me did i use a laptop , and yeah i do alot , could a speaker or something in laptop be causing it ?? , in farming im doing 15 things a day i could never pinpoint if it is happening there

How long do you wear each watch and how frequently do you change them?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Nighthawk

En cas d'absence, je ne suis pas là. Si vous n'êtes pas là non plus, il n'y a personne.

Quote Originally Posted by ericdraven View Post
    i farm for a living , im not in a electrical field daily as far as i know. it just weird to me 3 different brands 3 different movements. now someone asked me did i use a laptop , and yeah i do alot , could a speaker or something in laptop be causing it ?? , in farming im doing 15 things a day i could never pinpoint if it is happening there
    even a common speaker creates a strong magnetic field,
    it's an easy test if you have an old-school compass.
    although, from your description, I'd be surprised if it's magnetism,
    the effect is a watch going fast and gaining momentum,
    not slower,
    at least that's not something I've heard of nor can I see how magnetization could have that effect
    EHV likes this.

If your laptop speakers are at the base of the keyboard, that could be a source.

However, magnetized watches almost always run fast, not slow. When you notice that your watch has suddenly lost 2 hours (I assume you took it off before bed and noticed the lost time when you woke up), did you take note of whether it was actually still running before picking it up and putting it on? It's possible it simply ran out of juice overnight, though if you're a farmer and wore it all day the previous day, I'd be surprised if it had so little power reserve as to not even make it through the night. I'm a desk jockey and even my watches will go 20+ hours after I take them off following a day of wear.