Midsize SEIKO 4205 -> Back from the dead
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By andrewchrysovitsinos

Thread: Midsize SEIKO 4205 -> Back from the dead

Midsize SEIKO 4205 -> Back from the dead

A friend had a birthday recently, and I thought what better than to buy a "vintage" watch for him.
    I spoke to his girlfriend (oops, wife now), and I decided that the best for him would be a midsize diver.

I know the 4205 doesn't get much love here, possibly because of its size, but I always liked it.
    So I started a long search for one in good-original condition. Unfortunately every watch had a flaw, either the dial, hands, bezel or crown had damage. So I decided to buy two and use the good parts to make one fine-looking watch.
    Unfortunately I do not have any photos of the work my watch maker did, nor of the watches before they were cleaned.

So here it is, an all original, albeit slightly distressed diver, on a handmade leather strap.

I kept the original crystal for the caracter, but I think I might replace it after all (althought the scratches are not as visible as in the photos).

I welcome all comments!
    GriffonSec, jandrese and Boone like this.

Re: Midsize SEIKO 4205 -> Back from the dead

Awesome! and what a great idea for a gift. Wish I had friends that knew watches... unfortunately I am the lone wolf in that regard.
    Best,
    Chuck

Seiko SRP777 | Halios Puck II

Super trick on that great brown strap.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes I wish my friends and/or family were more familiar with watches.. My brother and sister did make an effort for my xmas gift however and bought me a SWATCH "Black Rebel". Not a bad watch, but not exactly a watch that fits in my watch collection.
    On the other hand, I consider my self lucky to have my dads two Tissot Seastar watches from the 70s..

Btw, I forgot to post a photo of the other 4205:

Quote Originally Posted by cb23 View Post
    Awesome! and what a great idea for a gift. Wish I had friends that knew watches... unfortunately I am the lone wolf in that regard.
    Last edited by andrewchrysovitsinos; August 14th, 2014 at 21:55.

Have one for my son, and I have a 7002 to match it. It's a nice watch indeed. Unfortunately, his has an aftermarket dial so lume is non existent. He wears it on a velcro nato until his wrist gets bigger for the mesh he has for it.

CREPAS FANBOY
    Current: Crepas El Buzo 91/333; Crepas t.a.c.t.i.c.o TC2 Expedition #8; Oris Titan 44mm Chrono; Seiko 7002; Hexa F74 91/100; Boschett Cave Dweller~Yellow
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Los Angeles.... Originally from the land down under

love the lack of day dial and the strap.
    I'd also replace the Crystal but definitely keep the bezel and all its history - better story that way, great gift.
    Rolex 2016 Explorer . Doxa Poseidon . Omega MoonWatch . Junghans Max Bill

Quote Originally Posted by GriffonSec View Post
    Have one for my son, and I have a 7002 to match it. It's a nice watch indeed. Unfortunately, his has an aftermarket dial so lume is non existent. He wears it on a velcro nato until his wrist gets bigger for the mesh has for it.
    Both of the watches have little to no lume left, I think it's normal with these watches.. I would imagine that an aftermarket, modern dial will have more lume than the original. If you are positive the dial is not the original, you could get a donor watch off of ebay for $30 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew P View Post
    love the lack of day dial and the strap.
    I'd also replace the Crystal but definitely keep the bezel and all its history - better story that way, great gift.
    The bezel is the primary reason I bought the second watch! I love the subtle indications of its age.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    Super trick on that great brown strap.
    I'm glad you guys like the strap! That is the only part of the gift that I actually take full credit for!
    It took a litle over three hours to make!
    Last edited by andrewchrysovitsinos; August 15th, 2014 at 16:43.

Thread Information