WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Mod my watch and possibly ruin the Diver's 200M rating...to mod or not?

6K views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  rog0322 
#1 ·
I have a SKX that I'd like to mod for purely cosmetic reasons. One of these mods includes a c-thru caseback from Yobokies. However I feel like modding would ruin the Diver's 200M rating.

I don't dive but I do take my SKX swimming, and it's good to know that you have a beastly watch that can handle 200M sitting in your desk somewhere. Modding it would take away these properties.

My question to the dive watch subforum is...would you take the "dive" out of your diving watch?

#3 ·
I don't dive, so losing some of the WR wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if the mod was worth doing. That being said, I do like knowing if a watch has been modded if I'm purchasing used. You could also have the piece pressure tested after the mod to verify the WR, no?

#6 ·
Modding is fine as long as you ensure it remains water proof for diving by pressure testing.

I ruined this SKX009 (modded) by diving to 30m in the Solomon Islands without having a pressure test done which would have discovered the issues with the modded crown!

View attachment 1003016

#8 ·
I have a SKX that I'd like to mod for purely cosmetic reasons. One of these mods includes a c-thru caseback from Yobokies. However I feel like modding would ruin the Diver's 200M rating.

I don't dive but I do take my SKX swimming, and it's good to know that you have a beastly watch that can handle 200M sitting in your desk somewhere. Modding it would take away these properties.

My question to the dive watch subforum is...would you take the "dive" out of your diving watch?
I would compromise.

Do the mods you have planned, but leave out the exhibition case back. The 7S26 is a basic workhorse movement that's not really worth looking at. Do the other mods and then get it pressure tested.

But if the see through case back is important to you, I'm sure the watch will still be swim capable.

#9 ·
Part of the fun of owning an skx diver is modding it. I say go nuts! I have been dying to do a PMMM based off a 171 but havent had the time to do it. Let us know how it goes.

#17 ·
I contemplated the same thing and just decided to leave my old trusty SKX173 stock and buy another SKX to try my hand at modding.

#19 ·
Not to mod. I am a SCUBA diver and I picked my SKX007 for the purpose. I am far from a pressure testing equipment so I leave my watch as it is so as not compromise its dive rating, however you may consider its rubber strap alteration an exception to the rule:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.