My first dive watch
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: My first dive watch

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My first dive watch

Greetings gents.

Something has happened to me. A sudden lust for owning a new watch category has been woken inside me.

I've always been wearing dress watches with my attire and never did I think would end here, but here I am - seeking my first divers watch.

I have 3 watches in daily rotation at the moment: The SARB 33, The Green Alpinist and the original Cocktail Time.

Nothing fancy or luxurious but they are very versatile, the right size for my taste and as a student they fit my budget well.

So in short, I'm seeking a divers watch between 38-40mm. Budget is maxed out at 1200USD although I prefer something around 600.

However, I keep telling myself at times that 1200 USD (or even 600) is too much to spend on my first diver.

So where should I start? SKX013? Or maybe a level above and pick Squale?

I've been vacuuming info online from various sources and looked at numerous brands from Alpina, Lorier to Zodiac.

One thing I'm sure on is that I'm not really into 1:1 homage watches like Steinhart's Ocean One. Nor the Seiko Monster.

I've also considered buying a modded SKX013 with double domed sapphire, NH35/NH36 movement and ceramic bezel but that will probably end up costing 5-600USD with labour.

So many dive watches and (micro) brands out there that you could fill entire oceans. Where do I start?

Thanks in advance.
    lvt likes this.

Re: My first dive watch

I'd go with the SKX. It won't break the bank and you can flip it without much of a loss if you decide you don't like the style.

Every month that I've been here, one or more persons asks strangers what diving wristwatch to buy for about a thousand dollars.
    Steve0 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMcKay View Post
    Every month that I've been here, one or more persons asks strangers what diving wristwatch to buy for about a thousand dollars.
    It’s great to have someone keeping statistics...

To the OP: what about trying a Scurfa?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMcKay View Post
    Hi.

I'm not asking you to pick a watch. I'm merely asking where to start and also implicitly what to avoid.

E.g. I love the look of the Oris 65, the Tudor BB 58 and Captain Cook but they are out of my range. Are there anything similar out there?

Oris 65 at the higher end of your budget for vintage style diver. Or maybe alpine seastrong heritage or lingine legend diver for something a bit dressier but still diver.

For straight up dive watch maybe a Christopher ward c65. Or for bigger and chunky maybe a Seiko turtle. Without doubt the turtle is very comfy for a diver and won't break the bank.
    Rolex Submariner 16610L 50th Anniversary

Steinhart Nav B Uhr Limited Silver Edition(for sale)

Quote Originally Posted by ooshaugh1 View Post
    Oris 65 at the higher end of your budget for vintage style diver. Or maybe alpine seastrong heritage or lingine legend diver for something a bit dressier but still diver.

For straight up dive watch maybe a Christopher ward c65. Or for bigger and chunky maybe a Seiko turtle. Without doubt the turtle is very comfy for a diver and won't break the bank.
    Thanks! Unfortunately the Sixty Five is over the budget. It's almost 2k here in Denmark. Same with Seastrong Heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by GarbanzoNegro View Post
    To the OP: what about trying a Scurfa?
    Thanks. Didn't know about Scurfa. How are they compared to eg Steinhart or Phoibos?

Anyone tried the Zelos Mako? Found an authorized dealer here in Denmark, selling a new Mako v2 (teal) for 550USD.
    boatswain likes this.

You could go with a stock 013 and have it modded as and when the feeling takes you. Also look at Long Island Watch because they’ve just started the “your watch, your way” scheme.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information