My GSAR uni-diretional bezel is now bi-directional

Thread: My GSAR uni-diretional bezel is now bi-directional

My GSAR uni-diretional bezel is now bi-directional

Pull up a chair for a story and give me your opinion...

I purchased a GSAR from a forum member here several months back. I have had GREAT experiences in the sales forum, but this one has been bad. The bezel was a too loose and the watch was running one minute fast per day. The bezel was so loose that it would spin on it's own if it rubbed on jeans, or a shirt too hard. I sent the watch to Jack at IWW for regulation. Jack could not keep it regulated and instead serviced the movement. Now the watch is running nearly perfect (-1sec/day). Kudos to Jack. I also asked Jack to tighten up the bezel while he had it. He was unable to remove the bezel. I decided that a loose bezel was not that big of a deal, so I forgot about it.

After a few weeks, and a few showers, the bezel actually started spinning in both directions, and now it no longer clicks. But for some strange reason, it is tighter now and will not spin with a casual bump. I decided I would try to remove the bezel myself. One deep cut to the bone, six stitches, and an allergic reaction to an antibiotic later, I decided to get a quote from Jim Madrid, Marathon's authorized service repair guy. The quote was reasonable, but he of course gave the caveat that he might not be able to remove the bezel.

Soo.. I ask you, what would you do? Send it in and blow about $30 on shipping on the off chance that he can get the bezel removed that Jack and I could not, or just live with it?

I know one thing is for sure, this watch will be mine forever. Once you bleed together... I'll always have a scar, a watch, and a story.

Re: My GSAR uni-diretional bezel is now bi-directional

ROTFLMAO!! I to have my stories...more of destroying watches by curiosity and not a blood bond...as for the bezel, theres a gsar on eBay right now and the seller claims to have sent it in to marathon in switzerland to have it serviced and bezel replaced...so that's something you might want to check in on as far as the bezel issue.
    Last edited by spydie fanatic; June 29th, 2010 at 19:05.
    "To Care for Those Who Shall Have Borne the Battle..." Abraham Lincoln

Cheers

I'd spend the $30 and see what he can do. If he's their authorized repair guy what more can you ask for? $30 is still cheaper then replacing the watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy0401 View Post
    I'd spend the $30 and see what he can do. If he's their authorized repair guy what more can you ask for? $30 is still cheaper then replacing the watch.
    +1

$30 when the watch is worth over 10x that, doesn't seem to be a hard decision to make :)

Oh man, I know that feeling! The Marathon SAR bezel is one of the tightest fitting that I've ever seen. I had to pop one off years ago in order to send it in for a replacement 12 marker, boy, was that a pain in the rear, never again. And refitting it was another pain, had to use a crystal press and a ton of strength.
    I would suggest sending it to Jim, he can do wonders with the SAR, he recently fitted a 12 hour bezel to my msar, it looks great. I sent him the watch head and let him deal with it.
    DW

Quote Originally Posted by David Woo View Post
    he recently fitted a 12 hour bezel to my msar, it looks great. I sent him the watch head and let him deal with it.
    DW

Do you mind if I ask how much he charged for the bezel? If I'm going to send it to him, I might as well get it upgraded

Leave it. All my Tudors are friction fit bidirectional and work great.
    My watchmaker wasn't able to remove my SAR bezel either so I drilled right thru the top of the bezel insert and yanked it out to install one of Jim's 12 hour bezels.
    If your SAR runs good, the bezel only moves with a decent amount of pressure, then I say wear it and enjoy.
    dP

bjp
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
    Leave it. All my Tudors are friction fit bidirectional and work great.
    My watchmaker wasn't able to remove my SAR bezel either so I drilled right thru the top of the bezel insert and yanked it out to install one of Jim's 12 hour bezels.
    If your SAR runs good, the bezel only moves with a decent amount of pressure, then I say wear it and enjoy.
    dP

ditto.

Jim is good (as is Jack), but I've been told by both that some of the SAR bezels are simply to close-seated to pry off. There's a real chance it might not come off, even with the efforts of a professional.

besides, friction bezels are awesome. I wish I had a friction-bezel SAR!

-ben

Thread Information