Nardi Watches 'HMS Cornwall'
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Nardi Watches 'HMS Cornwall'

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Nardi Watches 'HMS Cornwall'

This one caught my eye on Facebook.

Not only to me does it look an original design - but rather than the normal 316L steel, its made from HY-80 from a decommissioned Type 22 Frigate - HMS Cornwall.

I did a bit of digging - and found the UK Governments Report on its scrapage here https://assets.publishing.service.go...BNVMQkpTDftA18

There has just been a Preview of the prototype published here https://www.achickenwristsdelight.co...r6VyZbX995QyQk

and I note its going to have 3 different bezel designs.

The Kickstarter campaign currently be planned too launched in October.

To be honest I'd decided I'd already exhausted my watch fund for this year - but I'm trying to convince myself that if KS doesn't start until October then it won't be delivered until 2020 - so that can count as next years purchase 😜

Name:  fullsizeoutput_1134c.jpeg
Views: 78
Size:  76.4 KBName:  fullsizeoutput_1134d.jpeg
Views: 84
Size:  99.8 KB
    BrianMcKay likes this.

Re: Nardi Watches 'HMS Cornwall'

A 40mm case and a FIFTY-FIVE millimeter lug-to-lug - REALLY?! YOU go FIRST!
    BrianMcKay likes this.

Does it come with a matching steering wheel?
    TheGanzman and Impoverished like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Looks awesome - and I love the use of the metal, which is something I wish more watch companies would do - there's more than enough cool, historic, vessels being scrapped to make it work, and it's an awesome alternative to the usual stainless steel / bronze / titanium options out there.

That said, while the price is right, the looks are right, and the construction (seems) right. The dimensions are just too unique for me to commit to without trying it on first. Make it a more standard sized / shaped 40 mm watch, and I'm in.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; 2 Weeks Ago at 17:34.
    KAS118 and BrianMcKay like this.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Quote Originally Posted by TheGanzman View Post
    A 40mm case and a FIFTY-FIVE millimeter lug-to-lug - REALLY?! YOU go FIRST!
    The Smiths PRS-40 has a 40.2mm case and a 54.7mm lug to lug.

I don't own one - but those who do seem to love them.

Although reading 'hard-stats' on a watch may give some idea; a lot depends upon the shape of the lugs, and for that matter the watch. Some watches wear a lot smaller than you would think.

Name:  prs40a-2.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  86.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    The Smiths PRS-40 has a 40.2mm case and a 54.7mm lug to lug.

I don't own one - but those who do seem to love them.

Although reading 'hard-stats' on a watch may give some idea; a lot depends upon the shape of the lugs, and for that matter the watch. Some watches wear a lot smaller than you would think.

Name:  prs40a-2.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  86.5 KB
    That's not really a good analogy, as the Smiths you pictured has its "lugs" curved VERY sharply down; by contrast, that "thing" that you posted has lugs that go almost STRAIGHT out! I had a Series 1 Helson Skin Diver with 52mm lugs - anything but a Zulu or NATO categorically did NOT work, and even those just looked out of proportion. Helson finally figgered that out and reduced the lug-to-lug on the Skin Diver...

Furthermore, *I* can think of NO "practical" reason to have THAT excessive a lug-to-lug distance, ESPECIALLY on a 40mm diameter watch; feel free to enlighten me!

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    ......That said, while the price is right, the looks are right, and the construction (seems) right. The dimensions are just too unique for me to commit to without buying. Make it a more standard sized / shaped 40 mm watch, and I'm in.
    To be honest - I hope they keep it how it is - it's the uniqueness what helps it stand out.

I agree the Lug to Lug is large - but then if they're angled like the Smiths I doubt see its going to be a problem. The recent Ianos was 44mm case and 54mm Lug to Lug and that sold like hot cakes.

Look familiar?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    To be honest - I hope they keep it how it is - it's the uniqueness what helps it stand out.

I agree the Lug to Lug is large - but then if they're angled like the Smiths I doubt see its going to be a problem. The recent Ianos was 44mm case and 54mm Lug to Lug and that sold like hot cakes.
    Yeah - I suspect that they are angled a bit, judging by the first picture. But that's also what causes me to pause - if the angle isn't right for my wrist shape, that'll be uncomfortable and awkward. On the other hand, if it is right for my wrist shape, that would be one heck of a comfortable watch. Wish I could try it on!
    KAS118 likes this.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Quote Originally Posted by milgauss1349 View Post

Look familiar?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Looks a bit like the Smiths - nothing like the Nardi?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information