New Dive Watch: Le Forban - Sécurité Mer - Malouine
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: New Dive Watch: Le Forban - Sécurité Mer - Malouine

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

New Dive Watch: Le Forban - Sécurité Mer - Malouine

I saw this watch on Youtube where The Urban Gentry did a review of it. It's a ressurected French Dive Watch Brand that went defunct in the 1970s called Le Forban and their first model is called the Malouine, named after the inhabitants of St. Malo, a famous French town for corsairs:

Name:  black.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  98.3 KBName:  blue.png
Views: 211
Size:  448.7 KB

They some things right on this:
    * Sapphire crystal
    * 39mm diameter with a 45mm lug to lug
    * Good hand set and dial

Price is a little excessive at 490 euros.

And they really screwed the pooch with the movement, which is a Miyota 8215. I wouldn't wish this noisy, uni-directional and non-hacking relic of a movement on my worst enemy.
    I've noticed that quite a few French microbrands use the 8215 and I wish they would stop it. How much extra is it to get a Miyota 90xx?
    Anyway, promising revival brand with some great design choices let down by high pricing for a sub-standard movement.
    knightRider, Angler and praetor47 like this.
    "So if, nothwithstanding the association with conspicuous consumption, owning a mechanical watch really makes you happy, then fine, buy that $500 microbrand, or even the $1500 Longines. I'd find it hard to justify going above that" ​
    - Professor Peter Singer to the watchuseek forums re: the ethics of watch collecting

Well ...the brand... it's French. Any marques that sound too French commands a high price...
    A piece of my favorite timepiece, is like a dish of local delicacies. It's not about how good it may look, or how branded in may came from popular stalls or restaurants. It's always the materials and concoction that produces the best keep!

Re: New Dive Watch: Le Forban - Sécurité Mer - Malouine

I saw this as well. The brand has apparently be relaunched by the same folks behind the Triton brand. An attractive, vintage-inspired watch let down by a bottom-of-the-barrel movement. This would have been a near slam dunk with a 9015.

One nit I have is that the hands aren't quite proportioned right. The seconds hand is too short and I feel like the hour hand is a bit too short as well.
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The 8215 is acceptable in less expensive options, but I agree the asking price is high considering you can get a 9015 at this price point.
    Cheers,
    Greg

I like it pretty well, I agree with the above post about the hands being a little on the short side though. I have a few pieces (Technos Acqua and Bulova Sea King) that I paid a crap ton for with the 8215, thing about them though is they run good and I never fear that one will poop out on me, I reckon since I can replace them for forty bucks doesn't hurt either...

Now that I look at the hand set:

* The second hand should be longer to brush over the minute marks. The pip should also sit directly above that inner dial ring. I don't know why the minute hand is longer than the second hand.
    * The base of the arrow head on the minute hand should also line up with the inner ring.
    redhed18 and brandon\ like this.
    "So if, nothwithstanding the association with conspicuous consumption, owning a mechanical watch really makes you happy, then fine, buy that $500 microbrand, or even the $1500 Longines. I'd find it hard to justify going above that" ​
    - Professor Peter Singer to the watchuseek forums re: the ethics of watch collecting

Quote Originally Posted by Earthjade View Post
    And they really screwed the pooch with the movement, which is a Miyota 8215. I wouldn't wish this noisy, uni-directional and non-hacking relic of a movement on my worst enemy.
    I've noticed that quite a few French microbrands use the 8215 and I wish they would stop it. How much extra is it to get a Miyota 90xx?
    There are complaints to be had about the 8xxx series but a couple points

“Noisy, unidirectional”
    - so is the 9015... it just winds in the opposite direction I think.

“non-hacking”
    - if they are in fact using the newer versions of the 821A then it could have hacking, but otherwise yeah...

https://calibercorner.com/miyota-caliber-821a/

https://calibercorner.com/miyota-caliber-8215/

Bigger complaints might be about the accuracy and indirect drive seconds hand... some people take issue with the slower VPH but I don’t have any issue with that.

Ps.
    Ballpark individual movement pricing seems to be...?

8215: $45-55
    9015: $85-120
    brandon\ likes this.

TGV confirmed it was a non-hacking 8215 in his Youtube review.
    Also, that indirect drive system on the 8215 has some nightmarish vids online that show the seconds hand stop and stutter.
    I'd take a hit on the profit margin to add a Miyota 9000 series. Yes, it is similarly noisy but you get the hacking, better accuracy and a smoother sweep hand.
    In the worst case, a Seiko NH35 costs about $50 in a bulk purchase. If you're making a new brand with a new product, you should put your best foot forward and build some reputation and goodwill. Looks like they went straight into the cost-benefit analysis.
    redhed18 likes this.

Good looking watch but too expensive by at least £100.
    Should have been more honest,dialled down the dress diver look & priced it at £300.
    Big NO from me,ymmv..
    Earthjade likes this.

It is attractive, but for the same price in preorder the Direnzo DRZ02 gives Swiss Made, sapphire bezel, Sellita Elaborè and a fitted bracelet with screw links and a NATO in addition to a similar rubber strap. Of course one may still prefer this one on aesthetics (I don’t).

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
    Earthjade and BrianMcKay like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information