New Precista PRS-50 - Page 8

Thread: New Precista PRS-50

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: New Precista PRS-50

Congrats to those who have ordered one. It looks to be a sweet watch. Slap that thing on a Sailcloth strap and you'll be good to go. Domed sapphire for $350? yikes!

Current Collection:
    Rolex Sea-dweller 116600
    Omega Seamaster
    Hamilton Khaki Field
    Seiko SKX007, SRP779, SBBN033
    Scurfa MS18, DS-1
    Seiko Chrono
    Casio GMW5000, DW6900, GW6900, DW2900, DW5600

Instagram: _smalls83

I may be a little late to the dance on this one... but I really love the design. I need to do some additional searching and see if I can't get my hands on one.

Anyone have any links or posts that give overall dimensions of this one? Price and such would be nice too.

These pics posted have made this my new 'have to have it!!" watch.

Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    Congrats to those who have ordered one. It looks to be a sweet watch. Slap that thing on a Sailcloth strap and you'll be good to go. Domed sapphire for $350? yikes!
    Actually 350 pounds sterling which is about $575 US

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ryeguy View Post
    Actually 350 pounds sterling which is about $575 US
    Actually, for the PRS-50B, 395 pounds sterling (GBP) which is about $650.00! For the original PRS-50, 335GBP or about $550.00!
    "Find the little bastards......and then pile on!" Maj Gen George S Patton IV

Honored & Proud Member, "G5" (Disdained by the intellectually dishonest!)

New York City: "The city that never sleeps". If it got some sleep, it wouldn't look so crappy!

Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    Highly domed sapphires are expensive-- a Sinn 356 with acrylic-like highly domed sapphire crystal costs about $500 more than one with an acrylic crystal.
    The best watch is the one that makes you happiest... and tells the time.

Quote Originally Posted by obsidian View Post
    Highly domed sapphires are expensive-- a Sinn 356 with acrylic-like highly domed sapphire crystal costs about $500 more than one with an acrylic crystal.
    But not that much more expensive...the ORSA Monstrum had the biggest domed sapphire crystal I've seen at 5.5mm thick and the entire watch is less than $300.

New York City: "The city that never sleeps". If it got some sleep, it wouldn't look so crappy!

Quote Originally Posted by KenC View Post
    But not that much more expensive...the ORSA Monstrum had the biggest domed sapphire crystal I've seen at 5.5mm thick and the entire watch is less than $300.
    Domed crystals on modern watches have a relatively shallow dome, and are either single convex or double convex. The cheaper single generates a distorted fisheye lens effect at an angle; the double allows for a clear undistorted view from most angles.
    The highly domed sapphire used on the Sinn 356 is a different shape than domed crystals of modern watches-- it mimics the boxy shape of vintage acrylic crystals and is much more expensive. From the high price quoted for the Precista crystal-- and the need to match the vintage look of the 50B's acrylic crystal, I'm assuming Eddie was referring to this type of sapphire crystal.

Here's Sinn's propaganda on highly domed crystals:
    http://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/ca...re_crystal.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by obsidian View Post
    Domed crystals on modern watches have a relatively shallow dome, and are either single convex or double convex. The cheaper single generates a distorted fisheye lens effect at an angle; the double allows for a clear undistorted view from most angles.
    The highly domed sapphire used on the Sinn 356 is a different shape than domed crystals of modern watches-- it mimics the boxy shape of vintage acrylic crystals and is much more expensive. From the high price quoted for the Precista crystal-- and the need to match the vintage look of the 50B's acrylic crystal, I'm assuming Eddie was referring to this type of sapphire crystal.

Here's Sinn's propaganda on highly domed crystals:
    http://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/ca...re_crystal.pdf
    Could very well be...however, I don't consider 5.5mm as a shallow dome, and from what I've read (and I know I haven't read everything), the typical retail price of sapphire crystal whether flat or domed is about $50 on average (which means the manufaturing cost is well bellow that - probably at least by half)...and yes, manufacturer specific crystals that must be purchased from the manufacturer demand a premium because they are single source.

Comparatively speaking, acrylic and mineral crystals run virtually the same at about $30 retail. My point, I guess, is that no crystal is really worth a $500 difference and the typical cost differential between acrylic/mineral and sapphire is about 66%.

Quote Originally Posted by KenC View Post
    My point, I guess, is that no crystal is really worth a $500 difference and the typical cost differential between acrylic/mineral and sapphire is about 66%.
    I agree completely! That's why the Sinn 356 I just got has an acrylic crystal rather than the nearly $500 sapphire upgrade.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

Thumbs Up Re: New Precista PRS-50

nice pic.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information