Non-divers: Uni-directional or bi-directional bezel?

View Poll Results: Uni-directional or bi-directional?

Voters
41. This poll is closed
  • Uni-directional?

30 73.17%
  • Bi-directional?

11 26.83%
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Non-divers: Uni-directional or bi-directional bezel?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Non-divers: Uni-directional or bi-directional bezel?

I recently removed the ratcheting ring in my Seiko Sumo, and now the bezel rotates both ways, smoothly and silently. Personally, I'm finding that I'm really enjoying this setup, and that it's much more appropriate for my needs. I can now unobtrusively and quietly time things with the bezel, and as a non-diver, I don't have to worry too much about losing track of my oxygen supply.

Has anyone else done this? It seems like a simple enough and easily reversible mod.
    Davidka likes this.
    CURRENT: Bernhardt Anchor (Black) #2/500 | Casio G-Shock 9010 | Seiko 6309-7040 | Seiko 6309-8089

Re: Non-divers: Uni-directional or bi-directional bezel?

if its for timing things and timing is important, then i would prefer uni-directional cause i wouldn't want the timing to get messed up if the bezel is turned accidentally

if its something like a GMT bezel, then i would prefer bi-directional, cause its indeed easier to set the bezel to where i want it to be and i only read off the information i need as i turn

If we're not talking life or death situations, I can't imagine why a uni-directional bezel would be preferable. In any case, I do find the bi-directional bezels on my B-1, KonTiki, and UTS 3000M much more convenient to use than the uni-directional bezels on my other watches. Naturally, the latter two watches mentioned have locking mechanisms to retain their integrity when diving, but to be honest, I've never had a problem with the countdown bezel on my B-1 turning inadvertently under normal circumstances.

Regards,
    Adam
    Last edited by craniotes; March 2nd, 2010 at 04:28.
    DW-002BM-8, DW-003R-9T, DW-5600BB-1ER, DW-5600GLRZ2, DW-5600GRLZM, DW-5700BE, DW-5700SF2, DW-6900-7BUFF, DW-6900MT-7ER, DW-6900CL-4CR, DW-6900KR-8JR, DW-6900FS, DW-6901UD-3ER, DW-8800AB-9T, DW-9100BJ-2A, G-001BE, GA-110DR-1A, GA-111DR-7A, GA-120BB, GD-X6900AL-2, GD-X6900-7TY2, GD-X6900JC, GD-X6900MNM, GD-X6900MH, GDF-100BB, GLX-150-4DR, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000TFG-9, GPR-B1000TLC-1JR, GPW-2000, GST-B100D-1A, GST-200RBG, GT-100, GW-5000-1JF, GW-5530C, GW-9400-1ER, GW-9400-3ER, GW-9430EJ-9JR, GW-9400KJ, GW-9401KJ, GWG-1000, GWM-5600TH-1, GWN-Q1000, GXW-56-3JF, GXW-56-4JF, GXW-56BB-1JF

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

For diving, the uni-directional bezel is a necessary evil. For everything else, a bi-directional would be far more convenient.
    " Don't trust anyone who says they're too good for an SKX007 and claims to be a WIS" - A Pine Tree

Watches: Rolex GMT Master II 16760,
    Rolex Submariner 14060M, Doxa 750T Sharkhunter, Doxa 1200T Professional, Marathon SS Navigator (1992 Kuwait), Seiko SRP777, Seiko SKA427P1, Seiko SKX007, Garmin Fenix 5, Suunto Core and countless G-Shocks

Either is fine with me - I don't dive - I surf - I have both and I end up using the bi as a uni anyway (out of habit)
    Michael: What is the most inspiring thing I’ve ever said to you?
    Dwight: Don’t be an idiot - changed my life. Whenever I’m about to do something, I think, Would an idiot do that? and if they would, I do not do that thing.

Diving or not, the uni-directional bezel is a superior design for timing.

We all know that accidental clockwise turning of a timing bezel can lead to disaster, but don't overlook that a bi-directional (non-locking) bezel is also, theoretically, twice as likely as a uni-directional bezel to be knocked off its setting.

Further, on average, a uni-directional bezel requires only an extra half revolution for a little less than half the occasions it’s used. I prefer making the extra quarter turn since it is far less inconvenient than bearing the risk of being issued a parking ticket or burning cookies because the bezel-appointed time inadvertently became a few minutes late.

Anyway, most of the “effort” in bezel setting is not in how many degrees one turns it, but in ensuring it precisely lines up with the desired position.

Plus, I actually like turning my bezel! I give it a 360-degree turn all the time for no reason other than I like playing with it and like to feel and hear it click! I can understand the silent argument (though uni-directionality and noise need not be mutually inclusive), but why would anyone want to turn their timing bezel less?!

Turning it less and losing the positive detents… sounds like a bad combination to me.
    hydrochrono likes this.

For non diving, a bidiectional bezel is a great convenience. I don't buy that it's less reliable than a uni in normal use. If you have to time life and death situations (non diving) in daily life, I'm sure you're not using a wrist watch.

Am I just lazy?

Lately I have been wishing mine was bi (just doesn't sound right ). I have been using mine a lot at work and it sure would come in handy if I could turn it both ways. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I'd rather roll it back 5-10 minutes than to rotate it forward another 50-55 minutes.
    Sellers: Topher1556, JERSTERCA, GGD, Shaefro58, eeek, mvyadam, withthesword, fantasma, manitoujoe, jackhlin, flipe8, 94dakar, & davewg .... :thanks!!

I just bought a Seiko Pepsi SKX033K2. In the ad of amazon.com it was stated that the bezel was uni, in the description they however wrote bi.
    Anyway, I bought it and found the bezel to be bi.
    As I am a (hobby) diver and want to use it (as second timer), I find this quite inconvenient. If a watch is sold as diver watch, it should also behave like a diver's watch ...

So where can I find a uni Pepsi bezel for my watch ????

Quote Originally Posted by pekanut View Post
    I just bought a Seiko Pepsi SKX033K2. In the ad of amazon.com it was stated that the bezel was uni, in the description they however wrote bi.
    Anyway, I bought it and found the bezel to be bi.
    As I am a (hobby) diver and want to use it (as second timer), I find this quite inconvenient. If a watch is sold as diver watch, it should also behave like a diver's watch ...

So where can I find a uni Pepsi bezel for my watch ????
    For what it's worth, that's not sold as a diver's watch. It's sold as a sport watch, with diver styling. The seiko diver's pepsi skx is the 009, with a 200m "divers" water rating.
    It's not intended for *actual* diving.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information