North by Northwest
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: North by Northwest

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

North by Northwest

J. J. Abrams is re-making the classic story of an ordinary man thrust into extraordinary circumstances, and you have been cast as Roger Thornhill. What watch do you wear as a suave New York advertising man, and do you switch before the climactic scene at Mount Rushmore? This isn't exactly dive watch territory, but a Rolex sub is the first thing that comes to mind as suitable for both environments. At least one
    commenntator has identified it as a Rolex Dauphin (North by Northwest | BAMF Style)

So, what say you? One watch, and which, or more and why? It would be nice to have the prop department supply whatever was requested...

Aquadive & Dive Watch Forum Moderator arutlosjr11's Avatar

Re: North by Northwest

ORANGE MONSTER
    clouser likes this.
    "My GREATEST FEAR is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them."

Ariel S. -

For my wimpy lifestyle Hardlex is my least favorite crystal. I’d take sapphire of acrylic over it. But, for being in an action environment Hardlex would be my favorite. I’ve scratched them but never broken them. My favorite Hardlex watch (and on my wish list) is Seiko’s MM300. Let’s see one in a movie. With a bit more color, an SBDX003 would look good in a few wrist shots.

The reality of film production may be that the hero will have whatever watch gains the most $$$ in product placement fees.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sinn 556i
    Cheers,
    Josip

Quote Originally Posted by jopex View Post
    Sinn 556i
    Have to agree. Not my favorite Sinn, but would certainly work well in and out of the office as an elegant yet tough watch.
    It's not having what you want. It's wanting what you've got. Sheryl Crow, "Soak Up The Sun"

My collection

Armida A1. Tough enough for any situation.

( Did I get it right Rhino )
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rhino-Ranch likes this.
    Cover your ears Duncan, I won't allow Rhinos fiery talk of the A1 to harm you any longer!

1990 Omega seamaster professional diver ( pre bond )
    Omega Speedmaster Professional
    Breitling Superocean Heritage 46
    Tudor Black Bay Black
    Helberg CH6 (all bronze, domed crystal )
    Seiko Orange Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    G Shock X6900

Let me first say that, as a classic movie fan, I think the prospect of a JJ Abrams directed remake of NBNW reinforces by belief that Hollywood is utterly bankrupt of ideas. I wish they would stop remaking films that were done properly to begin with.

Now that that's off my chest...what watch would a modern Roger Thornhill wear?

For starters I don't think it would even be a sportswatch, and certainly not a diver (ok, outside chance of a sub but I would be inclined to doubt it). Here's why I think so.

1. Thornhill is not a man with sporting hobbies or pastimes. His extracurricular activities are more along the lines of bridge clubs with mother and balancing multiple girlfriends. He is afraid he might be gaining weight.
    2. His style is refined. He's a "well tailored one", even by the standards of the villains. His suits are bespoke and his watch will probably reflect a preference toward elegance rather than robustness. His days are spent with clients in 3 martini lunches and in the backs of taxi cabs. His choice of watch will reflect his refinement.
    3. He is not expecting to be thrust into international intrigue and a cross country chase that may involve being chased by airplanes and dangling from monuments.

With that said, he may wind up with a relatively tough watch by default. A Rolex Datejust or Omega AT perhaps. But more likely, I think he'll choose a watch that reflects his view of himself as a man of refinement, playboy and successful businessman. A Glashutte Original or a Cartier, maybe even a Piaget, Patek or VC if he's a real hotshot.

My 2 cents.
    Rhino-Ranch likes this.

well, judging by the title of the movie, I'd say something with a compass
    A MattR of Time likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Meow View Post
    Let me first say that, as a classic movie fan, I think the prospect of a JJ Abrams directed remake of NBNW reinforces by belief that Hollywood is utterly bankrupt of ideas. I wish they would stop remaking films that were done properly to begin with.

Now that that's off my chest...what watch would a modern Roger Thornhill wear?
    The whole JJ Abrams remake thing is a hypothetical, for discussion purposes only. Just chose him because I thought he would be most likely to involve situations where tough/dive type watches would be appropriate. As for your sentiments about leaving well enough alone in film, I agree. Although as a middle-aged (assuming I live to 150) fan of the original Star Trek, I was surprised with how well I liked his re-boot...

Explorer. (Playing it safe)
    ApexWildCard likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information