WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Opinion of drilled lugs

14K views 73 replies 56 participants last post by  slicknickns 
#1 ·
I almost never start threads so that tells you I'm really curious. Anyone out there NOT like drilled lugs on their divers? I'd start a poll but don't know how. I can see where some folks wouldn't really care one way or the other but is there anyone who DOESN'T like drilled lugs on a diver and if so why? I may be missing something.

And yes, the thread was inspired after a tough strap change on my NOS Squale PVD a couple days ago. No blood, no scratches to the case, much spewing of vitriol.

Thanks all!

#4 ·
Sorry. Love, Love, Love drilled lugs.

Reactions: laughinggull
#8 ·
I'm afraid I love 'em. I wish all my watches had them. The only way I'll ever buy a Rolex Sub is if I get an older one with them. If there was an easy way to retro fit them on all my watches I would.

Joe

#9 ·
+1 on the drilled lugs.

I actually have gotten used to solid lugs with springbars as I make sure to hold open a gap wide enough on the rubber or leather strap with my left forefinger while I brace the watch head with my left thumb. Then I stick a springbar tool to remove the springbar. I make sure to use springbars with shoulders for easy removal.

It's the screwbars (unless it's hex screws) that kill me as far as strap changes go. That's why my Korsbek Oceaneer has been relegated to "fixed bars" mode and just use NATO straps on it as I refuse to mess with them any longer and risk scratching up the lugs or worse yet, the watch case itself.

#11 ·
I didn't care one way or another when I first got into watches since I wasn't changing straps. However, I have gotten to the point now where I will only purchase watches with drilled through lugs. Changing straps can make me feel like I have a new watch so I like to change straps regularly.

#15 ·
I wish my Seiko 007 had drilled lugs. Getting off a solid-end Super Oyster was not a fun experience.

It makes me curious though... what are the arguments against drilled lugs? I see how on something like a 007 (and probably a hundred other sculpted cases) a couple holes could make the polished surface strange, but I mean... for the practicality of it, I would take a couple holes.

#50 ·
I think drilled lugs make it easier to scratch the insides of the lugs when putting the bar back on, especially if you're talking a shoulderless springbar.

For me, on watches with straps, I can go either way. Leather and rubber have enough give that it's easy for me to get in there with a forked end and remove the springbars. On a watch with a bracelet, I require that it either have drilled lugs or exposed springbar ends.

#17 ·
Drilled lugs are old school kewl. b-)

#20 ·
I absolutely prefer drilled lugs. I can see why a few iconic watches such as a Doxa sub or Omega PO do not use them though, as they may screw with the lines of the design. Not sure why the Rolex Deep sea wouldn't have them though.

#24 ·
Thanks to all who responded so far. I can't believe that drilled lugs would really detract from a good looking case much if at all. The Sumo has one of the nicest finished cases and has drilled lugs. I guess my point is why would any DIVE watch designer NOT use drilled lugs? I'm really thinking that from now on if it doesn't have drilled lugs, I won't buy it.

#25 ·
Never give it a thought, like them when they are there but have never thought about it as a reason not to buy something if I like the look. When I looked at my 4 watches in rotation only one, the O7 has drilled lugs, would never think of rejecting the others because of the lugs.

#26 ·
The closest I've come to not liking them is thinking that it interrupted the lines of a Rolex Sub - but then I appreciate the old school cool of it, too, and like having them on my MKII Stingray -

It looks like there may be nobody who truly doesn't like them! Watchmakers take note!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.