pondering a mechanical dive watch purchase, seeking opinions
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: pondering a mechanical dive watch purchase, seeking opinions

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

pondering a mechanical dive watch purchase, seeking opinions

the two watches I'm replacing are both Seiko and both well-used. A skx007 that's over 15 years old and doesn't keep time very well despite multiple efforts to adjust, and a ska371 kinetic (wearing it winds like an automatic but powers a capacitor, so it is really a quartz watch) that's about 12 years old. I just replaced the capacitor on that one, but thinking it's time for a new watch. I wore the 007 mostly with Zulu straps. I recently tried a relatively low-cost substitute, a Deep Blue master diver 1000. It's a nice, chunky watch that I am sure I will wear on hikes and on the water, but the rubber strap doesn't help it bridge to wearing with nicer clothes, nor does the thicker case. and, for whatever it's worth, I read some less-than-flattering things about the quality of Deep Blue's metal bracelets, and they are kind of ridiculously overpriced anyway.

I am considering my options and willing to spend a little money. I have a few Citizen eco-drive watches, including the ugly but super-reliable ecozilla, but I'm looking for something that's automatic and that can double as a decent-looking watch. I'm not a diver, but I will wear this in the water when I'm swimming, canoeing, sailing, snorkeling. because I'm replacing two wear-to-wind watches, I'm looking primarily at automatics. I also have a large enough wrist that the ecozilla looks fine, so I'm thinking something in the 43-46mm range for a case. Finally, like the previous watches, this will be a buy and wear it out proposition, but considering I'm willing to spend some more money, I'll get the watch serviced more often than the Seiko watches I'm retiring.

here is what I'm looking at:

-the new-ish Seiko sumo - 3d generation, with the sapphire glass.

-Certina DS action diver with a metal band.

-Longines HydroConquest - larger size, so in the 43-44mm range.

-I peeped Hamilton's frogman line, gorgeous watches, but leaning away. the black bezel version is kind of small for my wrist, and the big titanium one seems too thick, too red (bezel insert), and too informal for what I want.

-Steinhart Ocean 44.

-Tissot Sea Star 1000.

Except for Seiko, whose pricing has gone up a lot as they build a rep as a more upscale brand, I have never worn a watch from any of these places. I recognize that five of these are Swiss watches, four of which are Swatch-owned companies, and they all have effectively the same ETA movement. Still, I welcome opinions about the various brands I named in the Swatch portfolio.

Also, Seiko replaced the old Sumo movement with caliber 6R35, and I'm wondering about reliability & accuracy. I'm fine with a watch that gains or loses a minute every couple of days, that's part of owning an automatic in my experience, more curious whether Seiko rolling out a new movement has generated any buzz, pro or con, other than the new movement's greater storage capacity that brings it closer to the ETA.

thanks for sharing opinions.

Re: pondering a mechanical dive watch purchase, seeking opinions

A couple of additional options to consider, at various price points:

Glycine Combat Sub
    Christopher Ward C60 Trident
    Squale 1521

I own the first two (42mm and 43mm respectively) on an 8" wrist and both are excellent watches (I actually have two of the CW, one bronze and one SS). I have a different Squale model but the 1521 is well regarded and Squale makes excellent watches.
    yankeexpress and Pilot2 like this.

Last edited by yankeexpress; February 28th, 2020 at 08:51.
    Pilot2 and countingseconds like this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I would vote for the Glycine Combat Sub it's a great watch for that price range
    yankeexpress likes this.

The combat sub is a really nice watch for the price but I've found that I prefer a cushion case. You might want to take a look at the Doxa 200, review seem to be good, lots of colour options, and priced in line with the hydroquest.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    here is what I'm looking at:

-the new-ish Seiko sumo - 3d generation, with the sapphire glass.

-Certina DS action diver with a metal band.

-Longines HydroConquest - larger size, so in the 43-44mm range.

-I peeped Hamilton's frogman line, gorgeous watches, but leaning away. the black bezel version is kind of small for my wrist, and the big titanium one seems too thick, too red (bezel insert), and too informal for what I want.

-Steinhart Ocean 44.

-Tissot Sea Star 1000.

Of these, my recommendation would be the Longines, particularly if you're buying new. I have one that I bought new in 2013. It was, literally, my beater watch. Beaten, scratched, and losing time like crazy, I decided to get it serviced last year. Now, in addition to looking good, its running like a champ, losing about 3 seconds a day (which is excellent accuracy even for a new, far more expensive watch). The new Hydroconquests have a cleaner looking dial, a ceramic bezel, and updated movement. Definitely the best choice on your list.
    Steve0 and slippinjimmy like this.

I’ll second having a look at a Chris Ward C60 Trident or a Squale.
    yankeexpress likes this.

My vote is Longines...Of those mentioned I like the HC looks the best. I bought one new in December and it's a solid watch. Very accurate and the new upgraded movement has a long power reserve(72hrs. I think). As far as divers go, it's the most unique looking dial. The applied logo, arabics and indices make for a interesting dial and it feels substantial on the wrist. Oh and the bezel action is great too!

I will try and post pics later

Name:  mido on book.JPG
Views: 48
Size:  169.9 KB

Thanks, your comments are very helpful. Also intrigued by the Orient Star black diver.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information