Proud Owner of YEMA Superman Heritage
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Proud Owner of YEMA Superman Heritage

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Proud Owner of YEMA Superman Heritage

Thanks to the chap who posted his YEMA Superman Heritage last week, I spent a very enjoyable 6+ hours researching the company, chatting with their Customer Service online, and eventually ordering the watch. After some very amicable dealings and ease of ordering, the watch arrived safely today.

I cannot emphasize enough how pleasant this transaction has been, from dealing with Nicolas to Chronopost, the company responsible for shipping the watch.

"Yema has achieved a faithful reissue of the 1970's Superman 53 00 16 by 3D modelling each individual component."
    "Designed to be an indestructible diving watch, it was subsequently chosen to equip France's Air Force pilots in the 1970s."
    Lots more info and history on the YEMA website:
    https://en.yema.com/collections/heri...tage-ysup2018a

This is an amazing little watch! It is actually even nicer than I expected. Craftsmanship is better than expected, it fits beautifully and is really fun to wear. The crown/bezel-lock mechanism seems a bit awkward at first, but it works exactly the way it is supposed to. That said, the bezel is super tight to turn, although the 120 clicks are super precise, and I imagine it would stay pretty much in place even without the lock. The bezel can only be turned when the crown is unscrewed, but the whole mechanism tightens up and locks into place assuredly, with no fear of the crown ever loosening on it's own. The hands are unique, especially the shovel shaped seconds hand.

Compact size is 39mm, 14mm thick although that includes the 2.6mm domed crystal, 19mm lug. Water resistant to 30bar/990ft/300m with screw-down crown. The crown is large and easy to grip, and it is unsigned. This is not to save money, rather to replicate the original. Movement is standard ETA manufacture 2824-2. I like that, as the watch is from France, but can easily be serviced locally.

That's about all to say for now. Just want to share some photos I took this afternoon, after the watch arrived. I ordered mine with a plexi crystal and vintage leather strap. Judging by the quality of the watch, I imagine the stainless steel bracelet would be tops as well. Strap is great quality as well. Thick at the lugs, thinning out towards the ends. I especially love the highly domed crown, which causes very cool distortion. And, of course, the narrow bezel:

YEMA logo nicely engraved on the case back. I like that far better than sapphire display back:

Comes in a sensible, small zippered leather travel case:

It is really difficult with modern technology to replicate the finishing details of times gone by. YEMA manages to do this beautifully, without manufacturing flaws. I would expect the original watch would have looked much like this one. I hope that I am explaining this properly, but it really is a joy to be able to think that this is so much like the original.

Thanks for looking at my review.

Cheers,
    Carl
    Last edited by carlhaluss; March 5th, 2019 at 05:33.
    Those who possess a sense of entitlement are seldom satis​fied.

Re: Proud Owner of YEMA Superman Heritage

Carl great pics and story. Awesome looking watch...wear it in good health.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    carlhaluss likes this.

That looks super, huge congrats!! Seeing your photos of the plexi crystal makes me second my decision on going with the sapphire option, that plexi looks really nice and adds a bit of character imo. So far I'm happy with mine on the bracelet which is surprising given it's pretty thin and lightweight but it just works so well and adds to the character of the watch, I'm a strap guy so I'm sure that I will try a strap someday though, that watch looks good on anything, it's hard to describe for me but in the flesh, that little watch is a real looker, congrats again!!
    carlhaluss likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Incompass View Post
    Carl great pics and story. Awesome looking watch...wear it in good health.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thank you. The watch definitely has a charm all of it's own, which can't be adequately described in words or photos. But I do my best!

Nice review, thank you!
    carlhaluss likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 808 View Post
    That looks super, huge congrats!! Seeing your photos of the plexi crystal makes me second my decision on going with the sapphire option, that plexi looks really nice and adds a bit of character imo. So far I'm happy with mine on the bracelet which is surprising given it's pretty thin and lightweight but it just works so well and adds to the character of the watch, I'm a strap guy so I'm sure that I will try a strap someday though, that watch looks good on anything, it's hard to describe for me but in the flesh, that little watch is a real looker, congrats again!!
    Thanks, Michael. I really have a difficult time describing. All I can say is, as the French say "Je ne sais quoi". It definitely has that X-Factor. It actually wears a bit smaller than I thought, or that I can capture in photos, but that's not a bad thing at all. I debated getting the ss bracelet, and now I see the quality of the watch, I imagine the bracelet is so well made, so that may be a consideration down the road. I used to be an all bracelet guy, but now most of my watches are on straps. This one is very well made and comfortable. I think I will order the black leather one, with the Red, White and Blue stitching near the lugs, just to give it a bit of character and tribute to it's French origins.

I just got my first Rolex Diver, last week, the Sub 114060 which I have longed for over the years. I got a call from my AD as this YEMA was on it's way. I can't compare it to the Sub or really say I like it more, but it has such character that it hasn't left my wrist.

Glad you are enjoying your's. Post me a pic of your's on the strap if you don't mind.

Cheers,
    Carl
    steinercat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by steinercat View Post
    Nice review, thank you!
    Thanks. You are welcome. It really was a pleasure to put the review together!

Very nice!

I'm in on the Yema Navygraf pre-order ;)
    carlhaluss and Michael 808 like this.
    "No ice in my drink, got enough in my watch..." -Juicy J

Quote Originally Posted by sriracha View Post
    Very nice!

I'm in on the Yema Navygraf pre-order ;)
    Can't wait to see pics of that one. I took a long look at it as well. Love the vibrant yellow hands! Do you get to pick a number?

Cheers,
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
    Can't wait to see pics of that one. I took a long look at it as well. Love the vibrant yellow hands! Do you get to pick a number?

Cheers,
    Carl
    Yes, but not sure if I'll get it. Either way is fine by me.
    carlhaluss likes this.
    "No ice in my drink, got enough in my watch..." -Juicy J

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information